Oceania Cruise Cancelations?

JeffElizabeth

20 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

I saw that some of the big cruise lines are canceling cruises, including Oceania's owners Norwegian.  We are supposed to go from Miami to Venice in March and I am not so sure I still want to go. Wouldn't mind if it got stopped. 

Most importantly: NCL does NOT own Oceania. They, along with Regent, are consortium partners in a poorly named holding company: NCLHoldings.

And remember that the NCLH CEO is Frank DelRio, founder of Oceania.

37 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

I saw that some of the big cruise lines are canceling cruises, including Oceania's owners Norwegian.  We are supposed to go from Miami to Venice in March and I am not so sure I still want to go. Wouldn't mind if it got stopped. 

Miami to Venice - a transatlantic cruise w many sea days. It’ll be a great cruise, I really think you’ll enjoy it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JeffElizabeth,   While anything is possible in these difficult times, I suspect it is unlikely the Miami - Venice cruise will be canceled because Oceania needs to get Marina back for the Mediterranean & European summer season. We did a crossing in the late Fall and loved it. See you on board in March.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Most importantly: NCL does NOT own Oceania. They, along with Regent, are consortium partners in a poorly named holding company: NCLHoldings.

And remember that the NCLH CEO is Frank DelRio, founder of Oceania.

Words have meanings! The above is a contortion of words. NCLH took on tremendous debt in 2020 to maintain operations across its three brands. That debt is currently not inseparable from each of its brands. Operationally and financially what happens with any of its brands, particularly  financially, affects all three brands. 

Don’t get confused with all this chatter about how separate any of the three divisions may be. Currently, it’s all a juggling match for survival. If NCL can’t sufficiently fill its mega ships, that affects all NCLH’s fleets including Oceania. Corporate Cash flow is cash flow.

That debt looms large.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, khuselid said:

Oh dear, I sure hope it doesn't get cancelled! I shall lose my mind!🙃

Oh no!! the sky is falling!!

NOT.

If anything, it is the smaller premium/luxury brands that will survive - perhaps spun off or regrouped in new consortia or whatever, the fact remains that mass market megaships are a growing liability -operationally, environmentally et al. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Words have meanings! The above is a contortion of words. NCLH took on tremendous debt in 2020 to maintain operations across its three brands. That debt is currently not inseparable from each of its brands. Operationally and financially what happens with any of its brands, particularly  financially, affects all three brands. 

Don’t get confused with all this chatter about how separate any of the three divisions may be. Currently, it’s all a juggling match for survival. If NCL can’t sufficiently fill its mega ships, that affects all NCLH’s fleets including Oceania. Corporate Cash flow is cash flow.

That debt looms large.

From the February 10-K filing:

“Prestige” refers to Prestige Cruises International S. de R.L. (formerly Prestige Cruises International, Inc.), together with its consolidated subsidiaries, including Oceania Cruises S. de R.L. (formerly Oceania Cruises, Inc.)..."

"In November 2014, we completed the Acquisition of Prestige."

Acquisition implies ownership to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, marieps said:

From the February 10-K filing:

“Prestige” refers to Prestige Cruises International S. de R.L. (formerly Prestige Cruises International, Inc.), together with its consolidated subsidiaries, including Oceania Cruises S. de R.L. (formerly Oceania Cruises, Inc.)..."

"In November 2014, we completed the Acquisition of Prestige."

Acquisition implies ownership to me.

NCLHOLDING acquired them

On 1/17/2022 at 8:21 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Oh no!! the sky is falling!!

NOT.

If anything, it is the smaller premium/luxury brands that will survive - perhaps spun off or regrouped in new consortia or whatever, the fact remains that mass market megaships are a growing liability -operationally, environmentally et al. 

I doubt this - certainly to this scale as we see it now.

Not 100% sure about the cruising, but for most industries the cash cows are broad based operations that generate the umbrella for glory wings. Small operations more often than not fail to have the scale required to compete. 

Beyond this within a restructuring and this particular macro environment it will be increasingly difficult for a firm like Oceania (operated as an independent) to retain the sort of specialized talent they need. 

Bottom line - you might want to reserve your sneering at those big sisters and hope NCL manages to get those 13 out of 17 ships operating again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AlexCherie said:

I doubt this - certainly to this scale as we see it now.

Not 100% sure about the cruising, but for most industries the cash cows are broad based operations that generate the umbrella for glory wings. Small operations more often than not fail to have the scale required to compete. 

Beyond this within a restructuring and this particular macro environment it will be increasingly difficult for a firm like Oceania (operated as an independent) to retain the sort of specialized talent they need. 

Bottom line - you might want to reserve your sneering at those big sisters and hope NCL manages to get those 13 out of 17 ships operating again.

Beg to differ - big operation needs to fill more berths PLUS (even in the best of times), many countries are starting to lock them out.

We shall see.... 

57 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Beg to differ - big operation needs to fill more berths PLUS (even in the best of times), many countries are starting to lock them out.

We shall see.... 

well, yes. That is the whole point of operating at scale, right? 

And a great many small ports have locked out any ship at all (leaving only the less desirable larger ports), because they do not have the infrastructure to manage the illness. Which of course takes away a great deal of the allure to an Oceania. 

It certainly impacted my trip on 1/4. 

AAR, there is nothing to be gained by wishing ill will to any part of an organization. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AlexCherie said:

AAR, there is nothing to be gained by wishing ill will to any part of an organization. 

Or any part of the industry as a whole.   There are a variety of cruise experiences in the market because there are a variety of tastes, and a variety of budgets.  Not everyone can fit an extended voyage to an exotic locale into their schedule or their price point.  I know many people who "love to cruise," and their

go to itinerary is five days on Carnival.  To them I say (not to usurp from Bo) Bon Voyage.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like Oceania will be lenient about mask requirements so we are getting excited about the cruise again. Looks like the problems might be with the nations we visit.  Covid tests and mask requirements.  But hopefully by March and April, many of those will disappear.  So many new stops for us. 

11 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

It looks like Oceania will be lenient about mask requirements so we are getting excited about the cruise again. Looks like the problems might be with the nations we visit.  Covid tests and mask requirements.  But hopefully by March and April, many of those will disappear.  So many new stops for us. 

Sorry to disagree with your opinion but, dropping the mask requirement on March 1 is way too soon for all the o buoys reasons.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sorry to disagree with your opinion but, dropping the mask requirement on March 1 is way too soon for all the o buoys reasons.

Well, considering that  the " experts"  now say that  mask other than a 95, ( and it only works for 6-8 hours they are saying), mask really do not work at all . 

I'd say lets get on with life there will never be a time when  there is not something to catch.    Life needs to be lived and time is not replaceable.

In retrospect, I'd say March 1  was not soon enough..       People can  still wear them if that pleases them if they want, , some may never feel safe without them.    

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Well, considering that  the " experts"  now say that  mask other than a 95, ( and it only works for 6-8 hours they are saying), mask really do not work at all . 

I'd say lets get on with life there will never be a time when  there is not something to catch.    Life needs to be lived and time is not replaceable.

In retrospect, I'd say March 1  was not soon enough..       People can  still wear them if that pleases them if they want, , some may never feel safe without them.    

Agree to disagree. And N95/KN95 will work just fine for more than a day or two as long as you don’t manhandle the “fabric.”

Interesting to watch the Olympics right now and see athletes immediately donning masks after performance without B&Ming about any “inconvenience.”

Folks who are anti-mask really need to start carrying more about those around them who may be especially vulnerable to disease transmission (e.g., most of us geezers on O ships).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Agree to disagree. And N95/KN95 will work just fine for more than a day or two as long as you don’t manhandle the “fabric.”

Interesting to watch the Olympics right now and see athletes immediately donning masks after performance without B&Ming about any “inconvenience.”

Folks who are anti-mask really need to start carrying more about those around them who may be especially vulnerable to disease transmission (e.g., most of us geezers on O ships).

Well   I am a "geezer " and not the least bit worried....    Not anti mask      its ok for people to  decide their own risk.    

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Well   I am a "geezer " and not the least bit worried....    Not anti mask      its ok for people to  decide their own risk.    

I know my own risk, but not risks of people around me. Masks are more for protecting others.

Edited by Vertygo
  • Like 3