What does 1 positive mean for the group

Titan_Cruiser

Has anyone experienced the situation where one person in your group tested positive within two days of your cruise? How did it affect the others in the group for the cruise? 

Say there is a group of 4 that are booked to cruise together but they do not all live together. Acutally they will not see each other in person for 6-8 weeks prior to meeting at the airport to fly to the cruise port. Then one of them tests positive 2 days prior. Can the other 3 still go on the cruise? Or is Carnival's policy that everyone is cancelled with a 100% FCC?

I have looked through their covid policies and protocols but I can't find the answer. I am not in this situation. I am just wondering what will happen if it does turn this way when we hope to cruise in February.

• Like 1

I would suggest a direct call to Carnival.  But I can't see how one person in a party could impact all the others if they never were not 'close contacts'.  I can't recall exactly how the Health Questions are phrased.

• Like 1

Thanks but as I said I am not in the situation I am just curious. I have heard horror stories about hours on hold with Carnival customer service recently. I don't want to clog their lines up (nor wait on hold) for a hypothetical question. I did email my PVP and asked how 1 positive would affect the group. He very briefly responded not to worry that if we had a positive test we would all receive a 100% FCC. His response really didn't answer my question. I want to know if we have to take the FCC and all reschedule or can the other 3 cruise and the 1 get the FCC. Just looking to see if anyone has hit this scenario. 

• Like 1

Are they listed in your close contacts on your booking? If so, then I think all are in the same boat. If one tests positive you could maybe have them as a no show and they lose their money (less port fees.

Carnival has no way of knowing if you had contact with the positive or not. Did someone positive fly to the port?

It can go both ways, you could say you haven't been exposed to the person, if you still wanted to cruise; or say you have been exposed, if you needed an out to cancel. Either way, up to you. Of course, if you did see the person, in person (were exposed), you'd be lying on your health form prior to cruising but I'm sure most would have no qualms about doing just that and the lines are taking people at their word so they would never know either. Summation: ball is in your court.   

1. Remove them from the reservation if they test positive 2 days out. Or let them be a no-show.

2. If none of you have been near them in weeks (a.k.a. - you can honestly answer the health assessment questions, especially the one about being in close contact with someone who has tested positive...), enjoy your vacation. 

15 hours ago, Titan_Cruiser said:

Thanks but as I said I am not in the situation I am just curious. I have heard horror stories about hours on hold with Carnival customer service recently. I don't want to clog their lines up (nor wait on hold) for a hypothetical question. I did email my PVP and asked how 1 positive would affect the group. He very briefly responded not to worry that if we had a positive test we would all receive a 100% FCC. His response really didn't answer my question. I want to know if we have to take the FCC and all reschedule or can the other 3 cruise and the 1 get the FCC. Just looking to see if anyone has hit this scenario. 

My second person for my October cruise was coming from elsewhere, and I canceled her when her kid was scheduled for surgery that week. There is no "why is person #3 canceling" question. I removed her from the reservation and that was that. (I realize my example wasn't C19 caused, but if you really haven't been around them, it matters not.)

There are 17 of us  listed on our booking as "Additional Cruise Companions". Our son is the only one we actually have seen in over a year. We as a group can not be be denied from cruising due to someone a thousand miles away testing positive 2 day before sailing, correct?

Any guest who tests positive at embarkation, and their traveling companions in the same stateroom along with other close contacts, will not be able to cruise and will be provided a future cruise credit. (A close contact is any individual who has been within 6 feet of an infected/symptomatic person for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period within 14 days prior to sailing.)

This explanation is pretty clear on what is considered a traveling companion in SAME stateroom and what is considered a CLOSE CONTACT situation.  

Thanks all for the info. I completely missed the "official" policy on the Carnival website but it is very clear. For our case two of us live in same house so we would definitely be close contacts. The other two live in other towns. Other than the two that live together no one will have seen each other since Christmas. Hopefully everyone is negative when we test and we won't have to think through the possibilities. 

Edited by Titan_Cruiser

Thats CDC recomendations, 

3 hours ago, Drazil65 said:

Any guest who tests positive at embarkation, and their traveling companions in the same stateroom along with other close contacts, will not be able to cruise and will be provided a future cruise credit. (A close contact is any individual who has been within 6 feet of an infected/symptomatic person for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period within 14 days prior to sailing.)

This explanation is pretty clear on what is considered a traveling companion in SAME stateroom and what is considered a CLOSE CONTACT situation.