Oasis Chartered Cruise During Covid…Do they have to Follow the same Covid Protocols?

BennyBrun

Again, even before Covid.... How can you not feel sorry for the crew to deal with this group that overpaid for a cruise in the off-season. This group bumped me off a couple of years ago from Oasis. Royal just cares about the big bucks that charters bring in and crew are the one's that are suffering the most.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 2

Just now, flyguyjake said:

Compared to Karens who are rude, messy and don't tip? Crew deals with all walks of life and all emotions those lives bring onboard.

The risk in that this cruise is overbooked in today's environment.  Health of cruise  staff should take priority.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, coaster said:

The risk in that this cruise is overbooked in today's environment.  Health of cruise  staff should take priority.

It is difficult to imagine a worse place to quarantine and house infected and ill employees than in the bowels of the ship where they are forced to breath recirculated air which is inhaled and exhaled by over 1,500 other infected crew employees. This is what Royal is doing with their quarantine ships. 2 of them are now completely full. Thousands of infected employees. Royal just cares about the bottom line. 

1 hour ago, Will K. said:

They literally scheduled the cruise for the day after the expiration of the CDC mandates  So no masks or social distancing.

This is false. The CDC came out with the January 15 date after this cruise was scheduled. 

9 minutes ago, orangelime said:

Yes, and the next Atlantis cruise is on the Norwegian Pearl on January 28th. These super spreader events need to be postponed. This is corporate greed at the expense of health. 

Well, there shouldn’t be any unvaccinated kids on either week to spread it to the adults so I’m sure everything will work out fine.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

5 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

How does Royal go from this to next week where they’ll enforce their masking policies and all their social distancing, contact tracing and quarantining? I think they lose credibility now.

Contact tracing and quarantining are still going to happen on this charter. They are in trouble. It already happened on the Vacaya cruise last week on Celebrity Millennium. This is a ticking time bomb. I give it two more days until we start seeing them get quarantined. 

Edited by orangelime
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

How does Royal go from this to next week where they’ll enforce their masking policies and all their social distancing, contact tracing and quarantining? I think they lose credibility now.

Unfortunately, Royal has NOT been enforcing their masking and social distancing policies.  Not even the more restrictive policies they announced before the holiday cruises.  Their policies are apparently written to make cruisers and the CDC think Royal is doing all they can to make cruising safe.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, orangelime said:

Contact tracing and quarantining are still going to happen on this charter. They are in trouble. It already happened on the Vacaya cruise last week on Celebrity Millennium. This is a ticking time bomb. I give it two more days until we start seeing them get quarantined. 

I am not sure how quarantine and contact tracing would work.  Remember out of 2700 rooms sold only 35 canceled.  I don’t think they set aside spare rooms based on that number.  Also someone would have to report to medical that they have symptoms before they will test you.  Royal won’t just go test cruisers unless they call medical.  I don’t think you will hear about the charter cruisers being stuck in quarantine rooms unless they are really sick with symptoms and if that’s the case then there will be bigger issues for Royal.  Also this thread is about how Royal is trying to assure the cruising public they have a working protocol ( which I believe is working and keeping cruisers safe during this uncertain times) but for one week it seems like they are putting the protocols on hold, which puts the crew onboard at risk and risk the cruising experience for the cruisers once they resume the regular schedule.  It also creates a publicity problem for them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, topnole said:

I would make sure the room is scrubbed down well!   I read an article about that week and the passengers are unabashed about what will be happening including even discussing amount of illegal drugs that will be onboard.  I won’t mention what else was discussed.    I would not want to be on the week after that one.  😂

I am glad that I will have a week buffer before going onboard.  I will remind myself that if I accidentally drop my m&ms in my room I will not follow the 3 second rule!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Did they not learn anything from the NYE / Christmas crowds?  Again from the pictures it looks much worse than NYE.  I will certainly ask the crew about their experience when I am onboard in about a week.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, D4 said:

Unfortunately, Royal has NOT been enforcing their masking and social distancing policies.  Not even the more restrictive policies they announced before the holiday cruises.  Their policies are apparently written to make cruisers and the CDC think Royal is doing all they can to make cruising safe.

They absolutely did on our Oasis cruise in September.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, twangster said:

That's somewhat misleading on the part of the charter company.  Yes, of course Royal still wants to be paid per the contract.  

Let's say it cost the charter company $1M to charter the ship.  That's fixed.  It's up to the charter company to sell enough cabins to make $1M and they hope more than $1M as anything above their cost is their profit.

If 30% want to cancel the charter company still pays $1M.  In this scenario they don't make enough money to cover the cost of the $1M charter.

Like any contract there will be fees to cancel the contract and well there should be.  Royal cancelled cruises to charter the ship.  They did it to me.  I was booked on this date and Royal cancelled my Star Class suite.  They had to offer me a refund or $400 in OBC if I moved to another ship.  Royal incurred costs to accept the charter and now at this late notice they can't allow the charter company to walk away with no fees, Royal can't sell Oasis on a few weeks notice and make enough money to break even.  

So yeah, the charter company took the risk that they would sell the ship to capacity like they have in the past and now they can't weasel their way out of the contract without losing massive amounts of money so THEY are not letting THEIR guests cancel.  

This isn't on Royal, the no cancelation policy is 100% on the charter company.  

While Royal is willing to operate at reduced capacity, the charter company is not.  

The only way the charter gets a refund is if Royal cancels, they usually just lift and shift the dates.  OASIS class charters are probably more in the 4-6 million range and the charter often has to commit to onboard spending minimums or pay the difference. These guests are on a cruise that was already postponed from last year, COVID 2020 is not the same as COVID 2022,  these guests are fully vaxxed and aware of the risk. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, orangelime said:

I think OMICROM is affecting all cruises hence why many have been cancelled, the Millennium had 27 guest test positive on the voyage, and Celebrity does contact tracing for those potentially exposed same as any other voyage.

• Like 1

I sure wouldn't want to be on the next sailing or sleep on those mattresses for a bit but it sure looks like a heck of a party! Those folks having a ball! So many arseless-chaps..lol. Gotta love that confidence. Looks like freedom to me. I imagine the crew will be getting some fat tips, plenty of stories and a gang of laughs, so it may not be entirely bad for them.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

FWIW, there are NOT 5,500 passengers onboard; a month ago, there were only 4,300. And you can be sure that's lower now with no-shows and people who have chosen to not go or who were not able to get a negative test, or whose flights were not able to get into Miami in time. Even if they cannot cancel or take advantage of cruise with confidence, many did have travel insurance to provide this specific sort of coverage.

1 hour ago, BennyBrun said:

I am not sure how quarantine and contact tracing would work.  Remember out of 2700 rooms sold only 35 canceled.  I don’t think they set aside spare rooms based on that number.  Also someone would have to report to medical that they have symptoms before they will test you.  Royal won’t just go test cruisers unless they call medical.  I don’t think you will hear about the charter cruisers being stuck in quarantine rooms unless they are really sick with symptoms and if that’s the case then there will be bigger issues for Royal.  Also this thread is about how Royal is trying to assure the cruising public they have a working protocol ( which I believe is working and keeping cruisers safe during this uncertain times) but for one week it seems like they are putting the protocols on hold, which puts the crew onboard at risk and risk the cruising experience for the cruisers once they resume the regular schedule.  It also creates a publicity problem for them.

More than 35 people were trying to cancel. They were not allowed to cancel due to their terms and conditions. Some people will report to medical, as what happened on the previous Vacaya charter... they then did contact tracing and many were put into quarantine. Royal will be doing the same thing. It's only a matter of time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Bloom9 said:

I think OMICROM is affecting all cruises hence why many have been cancelled, the Millennium had 27 guest test positive on the voyage, and Celebrity does contact tracing for those potentially exposed same as any other voyage.

Yes, 27 quarantined and 72 people in isolation for 24 hours. This cruise on Royal has more than double the amount of people on that charter and way more crowded. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1