Firestick on ship wifi

slimknyzer

On 1/17/2022 at 7:27 PM, slimknyzer said:

Do you think a firestick would work with the ship's wifi?

Wouldn't really matter as on the Freedom and Mardi Gras, there was no way to change the TV input to a spare HDMI port so you wouldn't be able to use it anyway.

1 hour ago, Computer Nerd said:

Wouldn't really matter as on the Freedom and Mardi Gras, there was no way to change the TV input to a spare HDMI port so you wouldn't be able to use it anyway.

They don't want guests messing with tv settings, and I don't blame them.  It would be that much more work for crew to undo whatever settings a previous guest changed when a new guest finds that their tv has no picture.  (Not everyone would think to try changing inputs).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, groundloop said:

They don't want guests messing with tv settings, and I don't blame them.  It would be that much more work for crew to undo whatever settings a previous guest changed when a new guest finds that their tv has no picture.  (Not everyone would think to try changing inputs).

Yeah its pretty commonplace in a hotel environment to have a special mode on the TV itself that locks down the inputs. Sometimes you can find out how to unlock via Google, but it's hit or miss, not to mention the remotes that Carnival uses aren't the stock remotes, so not sure how well they would do with the unlock piece

No, someone recently reported that they were unsuccessful and explained the protocols they used to bypass any blocks, based on their attempt and tech knowledge it seems foil proof. I doubt you'd get any usable speeds anyway. Just download what you want to a portable drive beforehand.   

3 hours ago, pogoism9 said:

Yeah its pretty commonplace in a hotel environment to have a special mode on the TV itself that locks down the inputs. Sometimes you can find out how to unlock via Google, but it's hit or miss, not to mention the remotes that Carnival uses aren't the stock remotes, so not sure how well they would do with the unlock piece

Land based hotels are limited in their ability to lock out functions based on their own cable feeds. 9/10 it's easy to do. Some physically put a plate to block it and secure the port connections to the TV. In that case, you could theoretically do it if you had the tools but most won't bother. Who goes on a cruise to watch tv anyway? About the only thing I'd want to watch is football (not soccer, real football) and I want to watch that on lido or other group venue, much funner and more energy.   

Edited by cruisingguy007

23 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Land based hotels are limited in their ability to lock out functions based on their own cable feeds. 9/10 it's easy to do. Some physically put a plate to block it and secure the port connections to the TV. In that case, you could theoretically do it if you had the tools but most won't bother. Who goes on a cruise to watch tv anyway? About the only thing I'd want to watch is football (not soccer, real football) and I want to watch that on lido or other group venue, much funner and more energy.   

A lot of TVs manufactured for the hotel business have a secret menu to activate a sort of "hotel mode" that locks everything down. That said, not sure how Carnival handles it.

The short answer to the use of streaming devices of any stripe with the ship's wifi is no.

Bits by sattellite are expensive and most ships won't permit them to work at all, and some older systems will slow your roll to the point it is unwatchable. 

Hospitality TV's are capable of being programmed to deter fiddling by guests, and are also password protected to prevent YouTube 'experts' from defeating the security. Bringing your own tablet with a firestick, roku, or sling won't work well or not at all. 

16 hours ago, Moviela said:

The short answer to the use of streaming devices of any stripe with the ship's wifi is no......

When I was on Magic in September there was a sporting event I "had" to watch and was kind of sort of able to stream it on my laptop from my youtube-tv account.  Fairly early in the morning before too many people were up it was somewhat tolerable, but as the morning went by it got worse and worse, to the point of being unwatchable.  (This was with "premium" wifi).