Do you currently need to have a cruiseline shore excursion to disembark in Belize?

Cruisegoer

I thought that Belize was one of the islands that is restricting visiting cruise ship passengers to only participate in cruise line arranged shore excursions?

So no shopping on your own at the port even?

Excursions provided by Celebrity Cruises are required in: Belize City, Belize; Bridgetown Barbados; Castries, St. Lucia; Colon Panama; Falmouth, Jamaica; Kingstown St. Vincent; Kralendijk, Bonaire; Oranjestad, Aruba;
Roatan, Honduras; Roseau Dominica; St. George's Grenada; St. John's, Antigua; St. Thomas, USVI; Tortola, BVI; Willemstad, Curacao

This might be new, but I booked with an independent tour operator in Belize (for our cruise in March) and there seemed to be no indication of bubble excursions and the like.  I also know someone who just got back from a cruise in Belize and it didn't seem to be an issue.  It also might depend on the cruise line, we are sailing on Carnival, and my friend was also on that line.  

3 minutes ago, jas283a said:

This might be new, but I booked with an independent tour operator in Belize (for our cruise in March) and there seemed to be no indication of bubble excursions and the like.  I also know someone who just got back from a cruise in Belize and it didn't seem to be an issue.  It also might depend on the cruise line, we are sailing on Carnival, and my friend was also on that line.  

Yes I think it's new, I cannot imagine that it's specific to cruise line.

11 minutes ago, Cruisegoer said:

Yes I think it's new, I cannot imagine that it's specific to cruise line.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if it's different depending on the cruise line.  They all have different protocols, even ones in the same corporate family.  Here's what it says about restrictions for Carnival (I just looked it up), their big thing is vaccinated can do what they want, unvaccinated have to do bubble excursions or can't get off.  :

SAFE SHORESIDE EXPERIENCES

Vaccinated guests may participate in Carnival-operated tours and independent sightseeing. Unvaccinated guests cannot go ashore in the ports of call on their own. Guests may only debark in the ports of call if booked on a Carnival-sponsored bubble tour. However, if their cruise visits a private port of call, such as Half Moon Cay and Princess Cays, unvaccinated guests may go ashore on their own or purchase any of our tours.

It will be necessary to follow the health protocols for every port we visit, which are under the control of local authorities and subject to change without prior notice. Guests must come prepared to follow local guidance pertaining to mask wearing, physical distancing, testing/health screenings, etc.

NOTE: The requirements for the destinations we visit continue to evolve. Please review the requirements for unvaccinated guests in the ports of call listed below:

• San Juan – Based on our agreement with the destination, guests will have to remain on board
  • Limón, Costa Rica – Guests will have to remain on board
  • Grand Turk – Guests ages 16 and older will have to remain on board
  • St. Kitts – Guests ages 12 and older will have to remain on board
  • Bonaire – Guests ages 12 and older will have to remain on board
  • Tortola – Guests ages 12 and older will have to remain on board

On 1/19/2022 at 10:37 AM, Cruisegoer said:

I thought that Belize was one of the islands that is restricting visiting cruise ship passengers to only participate in cruise line arranged shore excursions?

So no shopping on your own at the port even?

Excursions provided by Celebrity Cruises are required in: Belize City, Belize; Bridgetown Barbados; Castries, St. Lucia; Colon Panama; Falmouth, Jamaica; Kingstown St. Vincent; Kralendijk, Bonaire; Oranjestad, Aruba;
Roatan, Honduras; Roseau Dominica; St. George's Grenada; St. John's, Antigua; St. Thomas, USVI; Tortola, BVI; Willemstad, Curacao

I believe that's a Celebrity policy. BTW, Belize is a country on the mainland in Central America not an island

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 3:12 PM, jas283a said:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if it's different depending on the cruise line.  They all have different protocols, even ones in the same corporate family.  Here's what it says about restrictions for Carnival (I just looked it up), their big thing is vaccinated can do what they want, unvaccinated have to do bubble excursions or can't get off.  :

SAFE SHORESIDE EXPERIENCES

Vaccinated guests may participate in Carnival-operated tours and independent sightseeing. Unvaccinated guests cannot go ashore in the ports of call on their own. Guests may only debark in the ports of call if booked on a Carnival-sponsored bubble tour. However, if their cruise visits a private port of call, such as Half Moon Cay and Princess Cays, unvaccinated guests may go ashore on their own or purchase any of our tours.

It will be necessary to follow the health protocols for every port we visit, which are under the control of local authorities and subject to change without prior notice. Guests must come prepared to follow local guidance pertaining to mask wearing, physical distancing, testing/health screenings, etc.

NOTE: The requirements for the destinations we visit continue to evolve. Please review the requirements for unvaccinated guests in the ports of call listed below:

• San Juan – Based on our agreement with the destination, guests will have to remain on board
  • Limón, Costa Rica – Guests will have to remain on board
  • Grand Turk – Guests ages 16 and older will have to remain on board
  • St. Kitts – Guests ages 12 and older will have to remain on board
  • Bonaire – Guests ages 12 and older will have to remain on board
  • Tortola – Guests ages 12 and older will have to remain on board

I think all cruise lines are trying to dissuade unvaxxed and no country wants them on their grounds.