Question re: COVID on Board

baseball_diamonds

I have searched and searched and I couldn't find anything so if this is somewhere else please send me there! 

I am trying to see, do you only get tested on board if you go to medical or request it? Or do crew members pull you if you have like a cough or any noticeable symptoms? 

It seems like a ridiculous question but I have someone sailing with me asking so I figured I would ask on here!

24 minutes ago, baseball_diamonds said:

I have searched and searched and I couldn't find anything so if this is somewhere else please send me there! 

I am trying to see, do you only get tested on board if you go to medical or request it? Or do crew members pull you if you have like a cough or any noticeable symptoms? 

It seems like a ridiculous question but I have someone sailing with me asking so I figured I would ask on here!

You could certainly be tested for other reasons, such as close contact with someone else who tests positive. I can't say whether or not staff is trained to report those with various symptoms, but I have friends who sailed recently (not on my sailing) and had one 24 hour period they were confined and tested multiple times due to close contact.

• Like 1

Most people are reporting to medical for either specific covid symptoms or other symptoms that trigger medical to test for covid as a precaution. So yes, it's nearly all self reported and self presented cases that trigger testing. They aren't pulling random folks and testing them, only those cruising on B2B cruises have to test at the end of leg one. They aren't just randomly selecting folks, that's expensive, isn't good for reporting purposes and is bad for the bottom line.Testing is even winding down on land. Even the schools are only asking people with symptoms to test and have eliminated precaution quarantine nonsense and the multiple times a week testing have been also been discontinued. 

• Like 3

I don’t think they are testing random travelers; but if contact tracing shows you were exposed they could pull you for a test. So I wouldn’t tell someone that you only get tested if you request it. I would hope that if you develop a cough onboard or become visibly sick that there would be a process to get you checked out.

• Like 1