30-45 days to refund VISA for cancellation!!!!

Ken076

Canceled a 1-8-21 cruise on 1-3-21 and see fare returned to my credit card this  morning,  though in 4 pieces. I was a bit concerned how this was going to work since I just did this online without going through one of RC agents. 

The first day that 2023 Alaska cruises came out, I booked a cruise for June 2023 or at least that was what I thought I was doing.  Somehow, I had actually booked for June 2022.

Within an hour, I called RCI customer service and told them what had happened.  The rep told me that I would have my $500 deposit credited to my credit card that day.

After 30 days, I called RCI and they were now saying 30 - 45 days.  After 47 days, I called again and they said that they had not processed it yet, but they would expedite my refund.  So far, nothing.  I will call again today and if they cannot convince me that my refund has been processed, my next call will be to my credit card company to dispute the charge.

I really do hate doing that, but at this point, I am not sure what else to do since RCI representatives cannot hold to the refund dates that they give me.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 11:05 AM, Pratique said:

Nope. Cancelled one cruise 9 months before final payment, been waiting three months and counting for the deposit refund.

“Should be” being the key term here.  If you cancelled 9 months out and had a refundable deposit, then call and ask for a supervisor.  Something is wrong.  If you asked for  any type of exception then it’s not a normal refund, and has to be done manually.  9 months is still extreme though. 

You have to have some extra patience now, because of the mass omicron refunds. I'm actually happy that they're willing to give a full refund for those who don't agree with protocols, whereas pre-covid I lost a lot of money when I had to cancel a cruise close-in. I've canceled several on Carnival because of protocols, and got full refunds within two weeks are so, and the omicron cancellation surge led them to allow you to submit a refund request online. Princess also gave me a partial refund within a few weeks, but Royal has so many ships and such a generous refund policy now, along with the general cruise with confidence FCC policy, that it seems reasonable that it's going to take a while, particularly since their office staff is also probably working remote now and dealing with omicron staffing difficulties--Carnival said to have patience since they everyone at their HQ is working from home now too. 

23 minutes ago, rj59 said:

You have to have some extra patience now, because of the mass omicron refunds. I'm actually happy that they're willing to give a full refund for those who don't agree with protocols, whereas pre-covid I lost a lot of money when I had to cancel a cruise close-in. I've canceled several on Carnival because of protocols, and got full refunds within two weeks are so, and the omicron cancellation surge led them to allow you to submit a refund request online. Princess also gave me a partial refund within a few weeks, but Royal has so many ships and such a generous refund policy now, along with the general cruise with confidence FCC policy, that it seems reasonable that it's going to take a while, particularly since their office staff is also probably working remote now and dealing with omicron staffing difficulties--Carnival said to have patience since they everyone at their HQ is working from home now too. 

I've spent hours on the phone with them.

They are dragging their feet on purpose.

My patience is running thin. Especially when I found out that they "overlooked" the previous refund request and had to start over again. Instead of expediting it because it was overdue.

Edited by Pratique

20 hours ago, Pratique said:

They are dragging their feet on purpose.

Absolutely. The delays probably relate to cash flow issues, not with "processing" the refunds. There is no reason for any human to "process" anything. Their IT systems know where the monies came from and what they were for, so in theory refunds should be available seconds after the cruise is cancelled. 

On 1/20/2022 at 10:45 AM, JsMom2 said:

As long as you cancel outside of final payment, the refund should be completed in around 10 business days.  It is the bookings that cancel after final payment date that have to be done manually. 

Not my experience. Been waiting for refund for March 22 cruise - cancelled in mid-November 21 - as well as  7 months for a September Anthem sailing we cancelled after itinerary was changed drastically. Situation is frustrating in the extreme and complicated by the fact that Royal can’t speak to me directly as I booked through a TA. 
while I’m happy for those of you that received speedy refunds, I do think they need to “process:” their refunds in some order (as in longest waiting)….

RCCL canceled my cruise along with 3 other ships a couple of weeks ago, I just received my refund to my American Express. All was refunded except for $100.00. Is that a travel agent fee,etc ????? Since the cruiseline canceled I assumed all would be refunded. My cruiseplanner purchases have  been credited as well. 

On 1/19/2022 at 1:04 PM, Ken076 said:

We just cancelled May 2022 Mariner of the Seas Bermuda cruise on the phone; the rep quoted 30-45 days to refund the Credit Card!!!!!

It is not just Royal Caribbean.  I was just told 2 weeks ago from a large chain that a refund, for their mistake, would be 30 business days. 

On 1/21/2022 at 12:58 PM, rj59 said:

I cut them some "slack" at the beginning BUT it's been almost two years since all of this started and their back-of-house systems are still a mess!  

No accounting summary, only random refund amounts and a "just trust me" attitude. I pity anyone who has to reconcile multiple voyage cancellations/refunds.  

• Like 1

Hi,

I called Royal yesterday regarding a possible drop $$ on a cruise we have booked.  I also inquired as to when I will be receiving the refund on another cruise that I had cancelled on December 1st.

After the usual wait on the phone, the Rep informed me that the “cancelled” cruise was never actually cancelled!!  The notes DO state that on December 1st I called to cancel though. 🙄🙄 ?????

By the end of the call he & ‘Manager’ cancelled the cruise “manually”. 

Hope so ….

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

On 1/19/2022 at 2:04 PM, Ken076 said:

We just cancelled May 2022 Mariner of the Seas Bermuda cruise on the phone; the rep quoted 30-45 days to refund the Credit Card!!!!!

We canceled a Feb cruise in early Jan and had our refund to cc last week. That is probably more the rule than the exception.