30-45 days to refund VISA for cancellation!!!!

Ken076

In one of my jobs years ago I had to relay credit card purchases (and refunds) from our office to the central office. When I took my first refunds to their office I was told that they aren't obligated to process refunds immediately, they had something like 30 days from the point that it's requested by the customer to when they have to submit it to the credit card company. Mind you this was 30 years ago, I have no idea what the timeframe is now.

But generally the process went:

- Customer makes the request to refund

- Office sat on the paperwork for a while, then batch-processed the refunds once a month or so

- Once the refund info was sent over to the credit card company then THEY had X amount of time to actually process the refund back to the card.

Basically the longer someone else has your money, the more interest they're making so they'd like to hold onto it as long as they can.

And no, that doesn't mean that it's acceptable.  Just that it's what they're allowed to do.

• Like 3

The refund day is always a moving target.  30 to 45 days, 30-45 business days. 30-45 days from the date the refund request was received, 30-45 days from the refund request was received by the refund department… I had a spread sheet with all the reservations I had and the amount paid.  At the 60 days mark I called and asked them to provide an update with the date / time / refund amount processed for each reservation and then I would go back to verify.  Luckily everything came back but you need to keep meticulous records.

Royal cancelled our Symphony cruise less than 24 hours before we were supposed to set sail on 1/8.

They promised I would receive a refund within 14 days after they process the cancellation. Clever how it was worded, "after we process the cancellation." So it depends on when they process the cancellation. Be patient they tell me. It could be never. The cruise would have already ended over a week ago.

For the entire week we were supposed to be on the ship I kept receiving dining reservations reminders from the Royal app, and then a survey after the cruise was supposed to have ended. So obviously the cancellation was not processed. The app was oblivious.

They have also promised FCCs by Feb. 4. We shall see. They still owe us another refund from October. Somehow that one slipped through the cracks and they had to start it over again. How convenient that they told me to wait 45 days, then I call them to find out nothing has happened yet, they have to start the 45 day clock over again.

The last time I was due FCCs, it took them four and half months.

I am waiting for FCCs and refunds from a late October '21 cancellation.  I call every so often to check on the status, and they're nice about giving an estimate.  The one I'm interested in seeing if it comes through when they say it will, is RCCL's cancellation of my 1/29/22 cruise on 1/8.  They said the FCC and refund would be done by 2/4/22.  Not.Holding.My.Breath.................................

19 minutes ago, JsMom2 said:

As long as you cancel outside of final payment, the refund should be completed in around 10 business days.  It is the bookings that cancel after final payment date that have to be done manually. 

Nope. Cancelled one cruise 9 months before final payment, been waiting three months and counting for the deposit refund.

We had a cancellation on Oct 27 2021 and was promised in writing we'd have our money within 30 days.

30 days - No refund, called, told it was being processed.

45 days - No refund, called, told it was approved and in the que to be completed.

55 days - No refund, called, told I would receive it within 4 more business days.

65 days - No refund. Called Mastercard, gave them the timeline and details above full refund within 5 days.

I can be patient but proactive gets results.

• Like 1

I cancelled my 12/4/21 cruise on 12/1/21 because of omicron concerns and ship's protocols.  I received a full refund on my credit card on 12/13/21.  Cruise planner refunds hit 12/15/21.  They had to do the cancellation "manually" because of covid concerns/ships protocol.  Not sure if it being "manually" cancelled expedited it in someway versus a "normal" cancellation.  So, clearly, your mileage may vary....

• Like 1

Many of us waited up to 6 months for refunds in 2020.  They will eventually catch up.  Call every 30 days or so to remind them they still owe you money.  At least your not a Crystal passenger right now wondering if you’ll ever get your money back.

• Like 1