Pre cruise covid tests for UK guests. (Joining ship in Rome)

ladylemondrop

Forgive me if already discussed, there are so many threads I wouldn’t know where to start! Just for my clarity, does anyone know what kind of test we need before embarking, we are from UK and join the ship in Rome. We are travelling to Rome two days prior to joining Reflection. What is the time scale of doing the test before we join? 
My understanding is that for the various ports of call Celebrity will arrange any tests we need to enter the country? Is this correct? 
Appreciate any help. Thanks. 

I have not looked into the cruise aspect  but I fly to Italy next week to ski. A lateral flow within 24 hours or PCR within 48 hours. Apparently Italy is reviewing its rules at the moment tho. 

Looking at what they want for Florida take a Project Screen or Qured supervised test to do in the hotel. 

However who knows in the Spring/Summer. I have not even started to think of our Beyond cruise ex Barcelona. 

• Like 1

I agree it is too early to plan testing needs so far in advance. I am sailing on Reflection from Rome in May and with still 100+ days to go, anything could happen to change the current protocols. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it may actually be less stringent then, but whatever happens I am sure it is not worth the stress just now.

Celebrity will keep you updated as the time gets closer. Can't wait 😎🍹

• Like 1

Thanks all. Just mostly wondering if we will have to do a test before leaving UK, then another in Rome… I actually dont mind too much as long as we get to sail! Also if we can use any brand of test, would prefer to buy here in UK and just pack and take with us to Italy if we can so its easier. 

As you say its a long way off (101 days to be exact, not that I am counting or anything!) let’s all hope things are simpler by then for all of us. 

41 minutes ago, louise1809 said:

Thanks all. Just mostly wondering if we will have to do a test before leaving UK, then another in Rome… I actually dont mind too much as long as we get to sail! Also if we can use any brand of test, would prefer to buy here in UK and just pack and take with us to Italy if we can so its easier. 

As you say its a long way off (101 days to be exact, not that I am counting or anything!) let’s all hope things are simpler by then for all of us. 

Sounds like you're a couple of weeks ahead of me.  Hopefully once the ships are in Europe for the season we'll see more info coming from Celebrity regarding procedures. 

Rumour has it that all restrictions will be lifted in the UK by the end of March and hopefully Europe will be at the same stage. But of course the cruise lines may still demand a pcr test before boarding. 

But who knows, this covid could still have some surprises in store. 

Hope you will come back and let us know your experiences after the cruise

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 5:22 PM, louise1809 said:

As I said previously, it is still a few months off and things can change. I hoped for a change for the better, but I have just spotted there is a new requirement for entry to Italy from 1st February that is a bit concerning.

Italy will accept the NHS Proof of vaccine, but  from 1 February you must have had your final vaccine within 180 days for your vaccination certificate to be valid when visiting Italy. This will be a problem for many of the older cruisers, me included, who were lucky enough to get their booster vaccine quite early on. Mine was in October 2021, so I will not be able to enter Italy in May!!

I am not sure how many will be affected, but I expect quite a few. This will surely affect many Med cruises that have port visits in Italy too.

But the fact that the final payment date for May cruises has been put back to 60 days gives me time to work out what to do with my booking. Gutted. 

On 1/26/2022 at 11:54 AM, laslomas said:

As I said previously, it is still a few months off and things can change. I hoped for a change for the better, but I have just spotted there is a new requirement for entry to Italy from 1st February that is a bit concerning.

Italy will accept the NHS Proof of vaccine, but  from 1 February you must have had your final vaccine within 180 days for your vaccination certificate to be valid when visiting Italy. This will be a problem for many of the older cruisers, me included, who were lucky enough to get their booster vaccine quite early on. Mine was in October 2021, so I will not be able to enter Italy in May!!

Looking in the gov website it appears the 180 days refers to your two doses and not the booster dose. If that’s not the case few of us will be travelling to Italy this year. 

Some countries require travellers to demonstrate that they have received 2 doses of a COVID-19 approved vaccination within 180 days, or a booster dose no less than 14 days before entering the country.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

Looking in the gov website it appears the 180 days refers to your two doses and not the booster dose. If that’s not the case few of us will be travelling to Italy this year. 

Some countries require travellers to demonstrate that they have received 2 doses of a COVID-19 approved vaccination within 180 days, or a booster dose no less than 14 days before entering the country.

This is what I see on the gov.uk website for entry into Italy:

"Italy will accept the UK’s proof of COVID-19 recovery and vaccination record as the equivalent to a green pass. From 1 February you must have had your final vaccine within 180 days for your vaccination certificate to be valid when visiting Italy."

So now I am confused!!

This is the link I read.  Entry requirements - Italy travel advice - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bluwes said:

Just read that my self on the government website. We also had our booster last October, so our jab will not be valid. They do say the will review the requirements in March.

I hope that this will be changed, I was really looking forward to my cruise. Where did you see Italy will be reviewing it in March?

I know I can cancel without penalty under 'Cruise with Confidence' but as this is a Lift and Shift from 2021 it is a really good price, it is currently selling for double what I am paying. At least the final payment date change is giving more thinking time.

The 180 days apply to your 2 doses. The booster gives you a pass into Italy 

It’s important to note that, from February 2022, Italy is set to stamp a validity period of six months on proof of vaccination, meaning that if your second dose was given more than six months ago, you will need a booster vaccine in order to be considered fully vaccinated and for your NHS pass to remain valid for use in Italy.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/italy-travel-covid-rules-holiday-b1989834.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

It’s important to note that, from February 2022, Italy is set to stamp a validity period of six months on proof of vaccination, meaning that if your second dose was given more than six months ago, you will need a booster vaccine in order to be considered fully vaccinated and for your NHS pass to remain valid for use in Italy.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/italy-travel-covid-rules-holiday-b1989834.html

I really hope that newspaper article has got it right. At the moment I am assuming the Gov.uk website is more likely to be correct, but you never know, they do state "This page reflects the UK government’s understanding of the requirements" so it could be wrong.

I have looked at Italian websites and they are still just stating requirements up to January 31st. I will check again in a few days when hopefully they will be updated.

Currently I am just relieved I do not have to make payment yet and keeping my fingers crossed that a booster is seen as being different from the other two vaccinations so can be outside of the 180 days.

1 minute ago, laslomas said:

I really hope that newspaper article has got it right. At the moment I am assuming the Gov.uk website is more likely to be correct, but you never know, they do state "This page reflects the UK government’s understanding of the requirements" so it could be wrong.

I have looked at Italian websites and they are still just stating requirements up to January 31st. I will check again in a few days when hopefully they will be updated.

Currently I am just relieved I do not have to make payment yet and keeping my fingers crossed that a booster is seen as being different from the other two vaccinations so can be outside of the 180 days.

I think that will be the case, otherwise there will be very few U.K. residents travelling to Italy as the majority of people received their boosters the last three months of  2021. If you look at the requirements for an NHS covid pass, it is two doses of a recognised vaccine. However it is very confusing. I don’t know if this link is helpful or not 

https://italygreenpass.com/faq/

Thanks sunlover 33 for that link. It does state several times:

"Please note: the validity of the vaccination certificate is scheduled to reduce from nine months to six months starting February 1, 2022.

So it will depend on whether the booster will extend it further, as my second dose was in April, so way out of date!

Hmmm I am off to Italy on Saturday to ski. Effectively need to be boostered to get on a ski lift! Lucky I am not going end of season as the 180 days would be up as I had a very early booster.  

However I am sure they will change the plan in time for the Summer…… Possibly state x3 jabs. Most people have been boostered ( if they wanted to be) and I do not believe the UK government has any plans for re-vaxxing until next Autumn 

16 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

In my search for further clarification I have found a statement that also seems to state that the Booster will negate the 180 day rule. This is from an Irish website about the Covid Certificate. 

Vaccine certificates based on booster and additional doses are not time limited.

I am relaxing a bit now. 🙂

Edited by laslomas
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Hmmm I am off to Italy on Saturday to ski. Effectively need to be boostered to get on a ski lift! Lucky I am not going end of season as the 180 days would be up as I had a very early booster.  

Have a great trip, we have had some fabulous skiing  holidays in Italy, unfortunately not able to ski anymore,  but had some great times there. Now we just follow up the sun. ☀️🚢