Current Chef’s Table Menu on Viking Sea

StuLaurie

I also have been looking for the Chef's Table menus.  Viking Customer service said "Just Keep Looking" and then something about covid causing problems with tour operators and ports and with getting food. Usually ingredients for meals are loaded on the ship at the beginning of a cruise. The shore excursion with the Chef to "shop" for fresh food in the local market would be the exception.

It was also suggested that I just make reservations for the days I want to eat at the Chef's Table.

I do NOT want to sign up for unknown menus.

Menus are readily available once onboard.  Never had a problem getting in and fewer passengers these days.  Rotation is usually every three days and rotation items have been known to change depending on where the ship is sailing.  So best to check onboard and make a decision then.  Anything seen way in advance is always subject to change.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, MSEm said:

Usually ingredients for meals are loaded on the ship at the beginning of a cruise. The shore excursion with the Chef to "shop" for fresh food in the local market would be the exception.

It was also suggested that I just make reservations for the days I want to eat at the Chef's Table.

Actually, just the opposite.   On our recent Nov/Dec cruise, our Viking Sea took on food supplies in probably half of the ports, we could watch them load it from the balconies.  We also talked with the head chef, who confirmed it.   It is what it is.

They published the CT menus at the beginning of the cruise and we found it easy to select the ones we wanted.  So many people cancel after the first few days, and post-COVID, Viking doesn't pre-book all the tables.  We never had an issue.   Something that can occur - the menu could change slightly, again depending on available supplies.  They often rotate through on a 3 or 4 day "visit" from a specific menu, but on ours, we had one menu rotate through a couple times with only one other one in between.

As usual with post COVID - go with the flow, expect the unexpected.

Whether with excursions, ports, food menus, restrictions . . .

Likely if that is a problem you should probably wait to cruise for awhile.

10 hours ago, MSEm said:

I also have been looking for the Chef's Table menus.  Viking Customer service said "Just Keep Looking" and then something about covid causing problems with tour operators and ports and with getting food. Usually ingredients for meals are loaded on the ship at the beginning of a cruise. The shore excursion with the Chef to "shop" for fresh food in the local market would be the exception.

The main stores shipments are containerised and shipped from Germany to convenient ports for each ship. On the shorter cruises, these are often the TAR ports. However, based on shipping routes, it could be any port and they can use multiple ports each cruise.

Fresh veg/fruit/fish/dairy, etc can be purchased locally in any port.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The main stores shipments are containerised and shipped from Germany to convenient ports for each ship.

The warehouse operation was shown in one of Viking TV’s “behind the scenes” episodes.  Really interesting logistics operation, to process the orders and ship them in a timely manner.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarkTapley said:

The warehouse operation was shown in one of Viking TV’s “behind the scenes” episodes.  Really interesting logistics operation, to process the orders and ship them in a timely manner.

Thanks, I'll check out Viking TV, as that isn't one of the ones I've watched.

1 hour ago, JeriGail said:

I've been searching for that episode, but can't find it so far.

This is the Viking TV segment I remembered seeing, showing the logistics operation near Frankfurt.  Starting at about 10 min 35 sec.  This is specifically an episode about the return of River ships;  not sure if the ocean fleet is serviced from here, or from another similar operation.

https://viking.tv/tv/this-week-on-viking-tv/mondays/welcome-back-to-europes-rivers-with-vikings-leadership-team

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MarkTapley said:

This is the Viking TV segment I remembered seeing, showing the logistics operation near Frankfurt.  Starting at about 10 min 35 sec.  This is specifically an episode about the return of River ships;  not sure if the ocean fleet is serviced from here, or from another similar operation.

https://viking.tv/tv/this-week-on-viking-tv/mondays/welcome-back-to-europes-rivers-with-vikings-leadership-team

When we attended the presentation in the Sun, they didn't specify where the warehouse was, just it was in Germany. Interesting film, thanks for posting the link.