Mardi Gras Specialty Dining Blocked

silversneakers

On 1/20/2022 at 4:32 PM, silversneakers said:

Sailing MG on 3/12.  When I try to sign up for specialty dining restaurants it states that passengers in the booking have a conflict (no matter what date I put in). Anyone else having the same issue??

Do you have set-time dining or YTD?  

If the former, you will not be able to book at Chibang or the Cucina until you are on board, and not until a certain time each evening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pellaz said:

Do you have set-time dining or YTD?  

If the former, you will not be able to book at Chibang or the Cucina until you are on board, and not until a certain time each evening.

Applies to the hibachi place as well. But should still be able to book Rudy's and Steakhouse.

It doesn't seem fair that Mardi Gras treats you as a second class passenger regarding specialty restaurants just because you chose traditional dining. Everyone should have the same access to specialty dining.

Carnival apparently made the YTD dining room too small on Mardi Gras and are covering for that mistake by sticking it to the traditional dining folks. Which may just encourage more people to choose YTD, exacerbating the problem. 

22 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Carnival apparently made the YTD dining room too small on Mardi Gras and are covering for that mistake by sticking it to the traditional dining folks. Which may just encourage more people to choose YTD, exacerbating the problem. 

Carnival has the ability to limit the number of people who select each option (early, late or YTD) so I don't see that as a huge issue. Also YTD isn't always in the same place.  We had YTD and only went to the MDR twice -  the first time they seated us in Palm on the lower level (which was predominately assigned dining that week) and once in Palm upper level.  Others have reported YTD was in Flamingo their week. 

On 1/20/2022 at 4:32 PM, silversneakers said:

Sailing MG on 3/12.  When I try to sign up for specialty dining restaurants it states that passengers in the booking have a conflict (no matter what date I put in). Anyone else having the same issue??

We're on the same cruise and were able to book the steakhouse and Teppanyaki last month. What restaurants are you trying to book?  

19 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

Any, including the Chef's table.

Just solved it......it pre populates the info with the only reservation I booked for the first night of the cruise thus stating "you have a conflict"......the website is not really intuitive but then it may just be me!  

2 hours ago, Gennystravel said:

I'm sailing on Mardi Gras 2/26/22, and the only specialty dining available was steakhouse, Rudi's and all the Tempanyaki, though nothing else besides classes.

I'm assuming because I cannot check in until 2/12.  Who knows.

If you were looking at booking Cucina or Chibang, they are presently no charge restaurants which is why they don't show when looking at making reservations for specialty dining.

3 hours ago, cruisemom2 said:

Carnival has the ability to limit the number of people who select each option (early, late or YTD) so I don't see that as a huge issue. Also YTD isn't always in the same place.  We had YTD and only went to the MDR twice -  the first time they seated us in Palm on the lower level (which was predominately assigned dining that week) and once in Palm upper level.  Others have reported YTD was in Flamingo their week. 

If that's the case, then why limit specialty restaurants availability for traditional dining passengers? There must be some reason they are giving YTD folks first choice and making traditional dining passengers live with whatever specialty dining slots are left over.

4 hours ago, Gennystravel said:

I'm sailing on Mardi Gras 2/26/22, and the only specialty dining available was steakhouse, Rudi's and all the Tempanyaki, though nothing else besides classes.

I'm assuming because I cannot check in until 2/12.  Who knows.

Besides the Chef Table, the list you provided are all of the possible specialty venues that can be booked ahead of time.  Cucina and Chibang can't be reserved until day of onboard starting at 530 if you have YTD and 815 if you have traditional.

1 hour ago, Earthworm Jim said:

If that's the case, then why limit specialty restaurants availability for traditional dining passengers? There must be some reason they are giving YTD folks first choice and making traditional dining passengers live with whatever specialty dining slots are left over.

Maybe because everyone has the ability to select whichever dining time is available (early, late, YTD) when they book their cruise?  Seems like people who like traditional dining and want to eat in the MDR at the same time with the same servers every night would pick early or late.  People who want more flexibility might select YTD so they can eat where they want, when they want.  I do understand though sometimes people may not get their first choice of dining, especially if they book late. But those with early or late have a table waiting for them at that time.  Why should they be able to go to Chibang or Cucina whenever they want if they didn't pick YTD - and possibly make YTD people have to wait longer for a table?  I don't really know the answer, just trying to think of reasons it's set up this way on Mardi Gras.  We like the flexibility of YTD and especially on Mardi Gras and I think letting the people with a set dining time have access to Cucina or Chibang later in the evening is a good compromise.  Also, everyone can go to Pig & Anchor for dinner at any time - just walk in, no need to check in on the app.

6 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

It doesn't seem fair that Mardi Gras treats you as a second class passenger regarding specialty restaurants just because you chose traditional dining. Everyone should have the same access to specialty dining.

At first glance, your observations seem to make sense. But in the COVID era 

! With need to space people out and more signing up for YTD vs early seated, Carnival is simply giving YTDers more early options. Late seated aren't restricted.

4 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

At first glance, your observations seem to make sense. But in the COVID era 

! With need to space people out and more signing up for YTD vs early seated, Carnival is simply giving YTDers more early options. Late seated aren't restricted.

That explanation doesn't make sense to me. Why would the YTD room be any worse for social distancing than the traditional dining room? Presumably the table spacing is similar. Unless the YTD room is full and the traditional isn't. But then we're back to Carnival making the YTD room too small and penalizing the traditional diners for that mistake. 

Or unless they were making people waiting for YTD stand around in line, which could indeed be crowded. But wouldn't that issue now be avoided with the Hub app reservation system?

If you were looking at booking Cucina or Chibang, they are presently no charge restaurants which is why they don't show when looking at making reservations for specialty dining.

I know those 

On 1/22/2022 at 12:54 PM, SNJCruisers said:

Besides the Chef Table, the list you provided are all of the possible specialty venues that can be booked ahead of time.  Cucina and Chibang can't be reserved until day of onboard starting at 530 if you have YTD and 815 if you have traditional.

I was looking for Emeril's Bistro

20 minutes ago, Gennystravel said:

I know those 

I was looking for Emeril's Bistro

Emeril's is walk up with no reservations.  They serve a la carte reasonably priced items.  Breakfast is 5.00, Lunch/Dinner are I believe mainly 4.00-8.00.  They also have per the pound seafood options.  From reports and YouTube videos I've seen, the place is never busy.