NCL Summer Operations

cruising7

We have 12 people in our party, and need to buy airline tickets.  I am so confused by the cancellations recently, as it doesn't seem they are fleet wide.  

If this question isn't allowed someone can let me know....I know that nobody has a crystal ball, but if anyone has thoughts or insight as to the odds of June Alaskan cruise Bliss sailing please share.  We have a HUGE amount of airline credits to use by end of June, originally purchased for 2020 cruise and once we use them, there can be no changes so we will be stuck going to Seattle regardless.  Probably not a location we'd choose for vacation, so it puts us in a really tough situation.  If we wait too long, fares will be even higher than now!  

Thanks for any kind thoughts or perspectives. 

Edited by cruising7
typos

I just want to add a small piece of advice, that you really didn't ask for, LOL.  No matter what, PLEASE try  your best to schedule the flights in at least 1 day before. I didn't have a hard time with this, I had an absolutely terrifying time with this.  The added expense will be well worth it for your nerves, unless they're made of steel.

• Like 2

June is a lifetime away right now during these Covid times and while I know you are merely looking for hope and reassurance all you can get from folks here right now are guesses and speculation.  Not only are there a bunch of what-if's for cruising but airlines are in a world of turmoil right now.

All I can advise right now is patience for the near term and see what happens.  Easier said than done, I know.

one piece of advice regarding using airline credits... you don't say which airline, but most airlines have very liberal policies right now for cancellation, rebooking and exchange. and most airline credits have a purchase date restriction, but you can generally book a trip up to a year later, as long as you use the credit by the date shown on the (virtual) certificate. not sure if your credits have a "travel by" date or "use by" date, but you should clarify with the airline,

what i'm saying is that you can book for seattle and if the cruise is canceled, depending on the airline and the rules in place at the time you booked, you can cancel the flight and they will either issue you another credit or you can rebook for a different flight to seattle at a later time, up to a year later, with no penalties. so airlines will allow you to book anywhere, not just repeat your original itinerary. 

i don't personally know of any airlines right now that have cancellation penalties. but i don't know what airline your credits are for or what the terms of those credits are. a lot of times people conflate the "use by" and "travel by" restrictions. NCL often places a "use by" AND "travel by" restriction on its certificates. most airlines only have a "use by" date, which many customers think means "travel by," but it usually doesn't.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 2

Exactly Cole Thornton - it's all unknown.  Sometimes "guesses and speculation" from a variety of people can be helpful, before pulling the trigger on $3000 worth of airline tickets.....not looking for hope or reassurance lol - just honest, perhaps helpful thoughts. Thanks and have a great day!!

• Like 1

UKstages,  yes I have already called and had the credit extended - purchased with American Airlines in March 2022, expired March 2022.  I was able to get them to extend it through June 2022, but once I use the credits was told that no further changes could be made.  I did check out their current cancellation policy....so I guess they're trying to push more people into buying a higher fare ticket with the assurance you can change it. The price difference is huge when buying for 12 people so this doesn't help me much.  I will still give them a call.

• No more change fees for all domestic, short-haul international and select long-haul international flying on Premium Cabin, Premium Economy and Main Cabin fares.
  • Basic Economy fares bought on or after April 1, 2021 are non-refundable and non-changeable.
Edited by cruising7

Noone has a crystal ball but they seem to have less cancellations on their larger, newer more profitable ships.  The ships that are cancelled for months are the smaller older ships. Since, you are sailing the Bliss on a very popular itinerary, I would guess you have good odds.   Of course, if there is a huge outbreak on the ship among staff the week before you sail, all bets are off.  Worse case scenario that last minute scenario happens, can't you jump on another ship or take a short flight to Ketchikan?

• Like 1

My concern is not what could or not happen on any one of the ships-- it is whether or not you will be able to sail in Canadian waters at all.  At the moment there is a Level 4 (the highest level possible) Travel Advisory for Canada-- meaning do not go!!.  I do not think at the moment that the Border is completely closed but it could be anytime.  

Right now, unless Congress acts again, a ship can not sail from one US port and return to that (Seattle- Seattle) without a foreign Port of Call (Canada).  Last year the first ships to Alaska did not sail until early August.  Have NO IDEA what is going to happen this year YET.

• Like 1

Traveling with 12 people, 3 generations, last minute changes won't be a possibility.   Good thought though!  I had not even considered that individual cruises could get cancelled at the last minute due to outbreaks.  Thanks for the thoughts. 

I think we can look at last year as a possible example of what could happen. They got permission last year to drop the requirement to stop at a foreign port, so you might skip Victoria if that happens again. If you were planning to cross into Canada from Skagway on the train or driving, that might not happen. Other than that, I would be more concerned about the one way cruises between Seward and Vancouver. Of course there are all the other Covid related concerns regarding testing before boarding, potential quarantines, canceled ports and entertainment …

• Like 1

The Level 4 CDC warning for Canada is rather odd given that most of Europe, many common ports of stop in the Caribbean and Cruises alone are all included on the Level 4 warning!   In addition, the majority of Canadian provinces currently have a lower rate of covid per capita than most US states.  If you notice both Alaska and Washington State sit with much higher rates of covid infection than does British Columbia where most cruises to Alaska originate or stop at on their return.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/covid-19-in-the-u-s-how-do-canada-s-provinces-rank-against-american-states-1.5051033

June is a long way off.   The Government of Canada has shown no inclination to close the ports of Vancouver and Victoria this year but will most likely require proof of vaccination etc to be able to disembark.

• Like 1

So since it's an Alaska cruise you also have to worry about what Canada is doing. They don't officially have a ban on large cruise ships at the moment, but they also haven't said that any large cruise ship could come as the ban expired in the middle of winter when no ships were coming. The law that allowed Alaska cruises to go last year without stopping in Canada expired - so if Canada said no go again Congress would have to get together and pass something new.

Right now Canada is requiring you to be vaccinated and have a PCR test within 72 hours of when you cross to their border. There has been nothing said of what they would require for cruises. Almost every cruise itinerary I've seen has the Canada stop at the end of the cruise - so if they require that for cruise ship passengers this could create a huge problem. (Basically the cruise lines would have to reverse their itineraries and require a PCR test for everyone 48 hours before embarkation.)

I actually vacationed back in May in Seattle for just shy of a week. There's a fair bit to do. They have enough cool museums that would take two days to hit them all. I also took a day to go on a whale watching tour. I ran out of time to hit either the wineries or Mt Rainer, but both of those are on my list. 

2 hours ago, ajs922 said:

We also have a cruise to Alaska set for late June and understand your concern. Will just have to HOPE that things get better before then. 

And hope that we can find something to do if our airline tickets won't allow changes.

1 hour ago, TashaB said:

The Level 4 CDC warning for Canada is rather odd given that most of Europe, many common ports of stop in the Caribbean and Cruises alone are all included on the Level 4 warning!   In addition, the majority of Canadian provinces currently have a lower rate of covid per capita than most US states.  If you notice both Alaska and Washington State sit with much higher rates of covid infection than does British Columbia where most cruises to Alaska originate or stop at on their return.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/covid-19-in-the-u-s-how-do-canada-s-provinces-rank-against-american-states-1.5051033

June is a long way off.   The Government of Canada has shown no inclination to close the ports of Vancouver and Victoria this year but will most likely require proof of vaccination etc to be able to disembark.

Since NCL requires vax for all passengers, that isn't an issue for us, but good points - thanks!

3 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Noone has a crystal ball but they seem to have less cancellations on their larger, newer more profitable ships.  The ships that are cancelled for months are the smaller older ships. Since, you are sailing the Bliss on a very popular itinerary, I would guess you have good odds.   Of course, if there is a huge outbreak on the ship among staff the week before you sail, all bets are off.  Worse case scenario that last minute scenario happens, can't you jump on another ship or take a short flight to Ketchikan?

Traveling with 12 people, 3 generations, last minute changes won't be a possibility.   Good thought though!  I had not even considered that individual cruises could get cancelled at the last minute due to outbreaks.  Thanks for the thoughts. 

Keep your eye on two things.

What does Canada do? If it is still closed then you have a situation where Canada is closed your cruise has a high chance of being canceled.

what the US Congress to see if they pass a law allowing an exemption this year about stopping in a foreign port, If Canada is closed and they don't pass this exemption you are likely going to be canceled.

7 hours ago, cruising7 said:

And hope that we can find something to do if our airline tickets won't allow changes.

We spent a fabulous few days in Washington state before our Alaskan cruise. Mount Rainier is spectacular. I am hoping our cruise in April through the Panama Canal will be ok and if that’s a go you should be fine too, 🤞

14 hours ago, cruising7 said:

UKstages,  yes I have already called and had the credit extended - purchased with American Airlines in March 2022, expired March 2022.  I was able to get them to extend it through June 2022, but once I use the credits was told that no further changes could be made.  I did check out their current cancellation policy....so I guess they're trying to push more people into buying a higher fare ticket with the assurance you can change it. The price difference is huge when buying for 12 people so this doesn't help me much.  I will still give them a call.

• No more change fees for all domestic, short-haul international and select long-haul international flying on Premium Cabin, Premium Economy and Main Cabin fares.
  • Basic Economy fares bought on or after April 1, 2021 are non-refundable and non-changeable.

I am not sure if above is true- once you issue a ticket you should go by the new rules of the ticket with the exception of, if the original ticket was non refundable it will remain non refundable. Meaning you cant turn a non refundable ticket into a refundable ticket. You should have another year to use the ticket if you cancel. Basic economy fares are the low frills tickets and pre covid were non refundable - they have waived that restriction for last year or so. Good luck!

I think that in these times flexibility is the key word. I would plan for everything to go as planned, but also have a plan B that could include a vacation is western WA - there is lots to see and do for a week around the Seattle area - a hop across the sound and you are on the Olympic Peninsula, or venture east into the Cascade Mts and Mt Rainer 

• Like 1

I know that now cruises can get cancelled with only a day or two of notice, but if you have notice there are many other ships on a variety of lines that go out of Seattle if need be, especially if you go in a day or two ahead of time. This would not be the case if none are sailing because of the Canadian restrictions.

As others have said, there is plenty to do in the Seattle/Washington area. If you are not a city person you can head for the beach or into the mountains.