Denmark Ronne port Royal Caribbean

lionheart

This looks interesting- thoughts? Not sure if can do the island self or 

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/rccl-asr/img/s.gif

Discover Bornholm’s local treasures, including the medieval Hammershus Castle Ruins, the charming village of Gudhjem, and the island's delicious specialty – smoked herring.

Highlights:
• Explore the impressive medieval fortress of Hammershus, the largest castle ruin in northern Europe and looking over the Baltic Sea. 
• Visit a traditional smokehouse and see how they prepare Bornholmer, or smoked herring, and enjoy a plate with a glass of beer. 
• Stroll through Gudhjem, a picturesque fishing village with a lively harbor, craft shops, ceramists, and glassblowers.

Bornholm is my favorite holiday location in Denmark - many interesting places to visit.  
Hammerhus ruins is a must - as well as a smoked herring for lunch at a smokehouse - You also need to include one of if the very special ‘round churches’.
I’m sure that once cruises resume there will be day trips available from Rønne, but a good alternative would be to rent a car.  - the island is not very big and easy to navigate - you can do you list in a day.

https://bornholm.info/en/cruise-bornholm/

Edited by hallasm

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 3:43 PM, hallasm said:

Bornholm is my favorite holiday location in Denmark - many interesting places to visit.  
Hammerhus ruins is a must - as well as a smoked herring for lunch at a smokehouse - You also need to include one of if the very special ‘round churches’.
I’m sure that once cruises resume there will be day trips available from Rønne, but a good alternative would be to rent a car.  - the island is not very big and easy to navigate - you can do you list in a day.

https://bornholm.info/en/cruise-bornholm/

We have had an Itinerary change from Warnemunde to Bornholm for the first Sunday in June.  I have looked at the Island on Google Earth and at your link.  I see there are a couple of museums in Ronne, but possibly quite small ones.  Do they have information in English, as I remember one we went to from Hundested which only used Danish?

We have used public buses in Skaggen and Hundested, as well as the train from Fredericia, so can I ask if there is any particular bus route which would enable us to spend the morning somewhere else and then the afternoon in Ronne and would it being a Sunday make that more difficult?  We are not really interested in doing a ship's tour, so alternatively, are there any private tour companies you would suggest?

27 minutes ago, tring said:

We have had an Itinerary change from Warnemunde to Bornholm for the first Sunday in June. 

I think Hammershus castle is a must - Good bus services at Bornholm - I can make some alternative suggestions where you visit one city in the morning and back to Rønne in the afternoon. The bus timetable for June is not yet available.

when is earliest departure and when do you want to be back in Rønne?  Ship departure?

Rønne and Bornholm is a good change of itinerary.

Edited by hallasm

7 hours ago, hallasm said:

I think Hammershus castle is a must - Good bus services at Bornholm - I can make some alternative suggestions where you visit one city in the morning and back to Rønne in the afternoon. The bus timetable for June is not yet available.

when is earliest departure and when do you want to be back in Rønne?  Ship departure?

Rønne and Bornholm is a good change of itinerary.

Thank you very much for your speedy response and the detail which you have given.  Our cruise line does not give exact port times, but are saying arrival, "early morning" and departure "from afternoon", so may be a fairly early dart, in which case we would likely just stay in Ronne as we are not good at leaving the ship very early (often not much before 10.00am, but if hoping to use a bus, we will push ourselves to leave earlier.  We can make a final decision the night before the port call when we have firm port times.  Having said that, the official cruise schedule for Ronne seems to have us booked in from 8am to 6pm, so we can hope for that, but I really do not think we will be staying that long as we will be due in Fredericia for early morning the next day. 

If the bus time tables are not available yet, I will check nearer the time, I seem to remember finding timetables on line for previous calls, so can hopefully turn them up for next June.

Thanks again,

Barbara

1 hour ago, tring said:

I seem to remember finding timetables on line for previous calls, so can hopefully turn them up for next June.

Here is a link to Bornholms Trafikken and routes with time tables

‘Mandag til Fredag’ is week days Monday to Friday

’Lørdag og søndag’ is Saturday and Sunday

I will expect sailing time from Rønne to Fredericia at 11 to 12 hours.

18 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Here is a link to Bornholms Trafikken and routes with time tables

‘Mandag til Fredag’ is week days Monday to Friday

’Lørdag og søndag’ is Saturday and Sunday

I will expect sailing time from Rønne to Fredericia at 11 to 12 hours.

Thank you very much for that, if we could get to Fredericia in about 12 hours, then the 6pm sounds quite feasible, so should be a good day to take a bus ride.  I will keep hold of the links you have very kindly supplied 🙂

Barbara

1 hour ago, lionheart said:

How  are taxis here?

Taxi prices are generally regulated on a nation-wide level. I am a part-time taxi driver in Denmark myself, not on Bornholm though.

All taxis have mandatory camera surveillance and credit cards are widely accepted. Cash payment is also possible. Uber and other ride-share services are banned by law, so the only options are public transport (buses) or licensed taxis.

Dantaxi, one of the biggest taxi companies in Denmark, have their Bornholm prices available on their website: https://dantaxi.dk/taxa-pris/ - Taxapriser Jyllland og Bornholm (about halfway down the page). I'm not affiliated with Dantaxi in any way.

Mon-Fri 6am - 6pm, 1-4 passengers

Base fare: 39DKK

Per kilometer: 12DKK

Per minute: 6,67DKK.

You pay both per kilometer and per minute. As an example, a 10,00 km trip lasting exactly 10 minutes will cost you 39+120+66,70 = 225,7DKK.

Weekend and night fares are roughly 10-15% higher.

I don't know what the availability for taxis on Bornholm is like at the moment. Over the last year or so, a lot of smaller taxi companies have closed across all of Denmark, leading to a major deficit in taxi availability. If you're going from central Rønne or the cruise port, I would expect the availability to be okay, but for the return trip from the rest of Bornholm, you may want to book the ride in advance via Dantaxi's 24h booking phone.

Edited by mikkelhansen
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the information. I've been researching Ronne. We would like to rent a car and see the island. We are in port from 10 - 7 so lots of time. Wondering where the ship docks. We are looking at Europcar rental but not sure how far of a walk it will be. 

An alternative would be to buy a day ticket for the local busses. We plan to do that on our cruise. I am all for using public transport when I travel rather than taxis or car rentals. We like to try and counteract our cruising carbon footprint by being as eco conscious as possible when we are in port. I have worked out a route where we can do a morning hike, visit Hammerhus, then visit some of the fishing villages on the east coast before heading back to Ronne. We are in port from 8am - 8pm so are not restricted by time. There are lots of different routes across the island and you can find info on https://www.bat.dk/  Out of interest, I did look into car hire and the day bus tickets are much more economical.

• 1 month later...