Taxi question in Mexico

macfam5

3 hours ago, macfam5 said:

I am wondering when taking a taxi, water taxi etc. Are you negotiating per person for the cost or just generally for the ride? 

The first rule in Mexico is that nearly everything is negotiable.  The answer to your question depends on the kind of taxi.  Some places in Mexico (such as airports and inside most ports) are "Federal Zones" and they will often award unique taxi franchises (the only taxis allowed to pick up at airports and ports).  It is pretty common for those "Federal" taxis to charge a fixed fee per person.  But with normal taxis (those found outside airports and ports) the norm is to charge per the taxi.  But the most important rule is to agree on a price before you even get in the taxi.  When a taxi driver quotes me the proper (reasonable) price I will usually reward him/her with a generous tip.  When they try to screw me with "gringo prices" there will often be no tip.  

Hank

• 1 month later...

When negotiating, make sure you agree upon the price being the total fare for all passengers vs the fare per passenger.   Many reports of “misunderstandings” at the end of the trip if the agreed upon fare was per passenger or not.

On 1/22/2022 at 4:10 PM, Hlitner said:

Some places in Mexico (such as airports and inside most ports) are "Federal Zones" and they will often award unique taxi franchises (the only taxis allowed to pick up at airports and ports).

AKA - more expensive.  If you are comfortable with it, it's always better to get a taxi outside the port or airport.  The prices can be significantly higher than those available on the street.

5 hours ago, SelectSys said:

AKA - more expensive.  If you are comfortable with it, it's always better to get a taxi outside the port or airport.  The prices can be significantly higher than those available on the street.

We could have a discussion about the issue.  So lets consider a few things based on how it works here in Puerto Vallarta (and some other cities).  The "Federal" taxis at the airport or port have a Federalthey Franchise that gives them exclusive rights to pick up in that particular "Federal Zone."   Keep in mind that those taxis only get a one-way fare since they are not licensed to pick-up outside of that Federal Zone.  So yes, they do cost more.  Here in Puerto Vallarta one can walk out of the airport with their luggage, drag themselves and luggage up a long ramp to an overpass which takes them over the highway where they then go down another ramp where there are local taxis.   For those of us who live in town that exercise will save us $3 - $5 (depending on the price negotiated with the taxi).  When DW and I have 100 pounds of luggage we are fine paying the extra $3 to avoid the hike :).  One can sometimes save even more by using Uber..but again they have to walk (with their luggage) to a pick-up place outside the airport.

We are guilty to have walked the walk over the bridge to save a few dollars here in PV.  But with age comes some wisdom and now we figure it is worth the few extra dollars to just use a regular airport taxi which is right outside the door.  Having lived in Mexico for 16 winters we no longer see much benefit in trying to save a few dollars with the trade off being working up a good sweat.  That being said, we live in the Romantic Zone (the southside of town) which is only 5 miles from the airport.  If one is going a much longer distance (such as to Sayulita or ) then it makes more sense to do the walk and get a regular taxi.

Hank

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We could have a discussion about the issue.  So lets consider a few things based on how it works here in Puerto Vallarta (and some other cities).  The "Federal" taxis at the airport or port have a Federalthey Franchise that gives them exclusive rights to pick up in that particular "Federal Zone."   Keep in mind that those taxis only get a one-way fare since they are not licensed to pick-up outside of that Federal Zone.  So yes, they do cost more.  Here in Puerto Vallarta one can walk out of the airport with their luggage, drag themselves and luggage up a long ramp to an overpass which takes them over the highway where they then go down another ramp where there are local taxis.   For those of us who live in town that exercise will save us $3 - $5 (depending on the price negotiated with the taxi).  When DW and I have 100 pounds of luggage we are fine paying the extra $3 to avoid the hike :).  One can sometimes save even more by using Uber..but again they have to walk (with their luggage) to a pick-up place outside the airport.

We are guilty to have walked the walk over the bridge to save a few dollars here in PV.  But with age comes some wisdom and now we figure it is worth the few extra dollars to just use a regular airport taxi which is right outside the door.  Having lived in Mexico for 16 winters we no longer see much benefit in trying to save a few dollars with the trade off being working up a good sweat.  That being said, we live in the Romantic Zone (the southside of town) which is only 5 miles from the airport.  If one is going a much longer distance (such as to Sayulita or ) then it makes more sense to do the walk and get a regular taxi.

Hank

Doesn’t it also depend on the number of passengers though?  If you’re paying per person for the “Federal” taxis, vs paying per taxi full outside the zone, is it more significant of a savings if you have 3 people?  Or do the outside taxis charge more for the destination when you have more people?

7 hours ago, WAvoyager said:

Doesn’t it also depend on the number of passengers though?  If you’re paying per person for the “Federal” taxis, vs paying per taxi full outside the zone, is it more significant of a savings if you have 3 people?  Or do the outside taxis charge more for the destination when you have more people?

Good point :).  With the regular taxis it does not matter how many in the taxi (you can usually cram 4 in a regular taxi).  There are some larger taxis around town but they can be hard to find and generally charge a little more.  Keep in mind that here in PV the regular taxis are supposed to charge specific "zone fares" but that is ignored by most drivers who negotiate and try to slightly overcharge.  When I get an honest driver who does not try to overcharge I will usually give him a generous tip (thank you for your honesty).   Many drivers do see cruisers as easy marks which is why I have often said there are 3 types of fares...the correct Mexican fare, the slightly higher gringo fare, and the rip off cruise passenger fare :).   I once had a driver try to double the correct fare from the Romantic Zone to Boca de Tomatlan and I just laughed at him and said  "I am not a cruise ship passenger,,,I live over there!"  He smiled and quoted me half that original fare.

Hank

I agree with Hank about paying a small extra amount for the convenience of the Federal taxi.  Or I am happy to pay for the mini-van inside the port area, for the ride to the Malecon.  I don't want to walk further for the non-Federal taxi outside if I am going to the Malecon or Playa De Los Muertos.  

On 3/7/2022 at 10:02 PM, Hlitner said:

Here in Puerto Vallarta one can walk out of the airport with their luggage, drag themselves and luggage up a long ramp to an overpass which takes them over the highway where they then go down another ramp where there are local taxis.   For those of us who live in town that exercise will save us $3 - $5 (depending on the price negotiated with the taxi).

I have done exactly that to take the bus at the PV airport.  .  

On 3/7/2022 at 10:02 PM, Hlitner said:

When DW and I have 100 pounds of luggage we are fine paying the extra $3 to avoid the hike 🙂

I am not travelling that way with lots of luggage.  I also think the price difference would be more than $3.  I use the Tijuana airport the most and the taxi outside the airport is about 80-100 pesos ($4-5 US) to the border versus $25 for the airport taxi.

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

I have done exactly that to take the bus at the PV airport.  .  

The local public buses are the primary form of transportation from most of the working class Mexicans.   The current Mayor has worked at reducing the number of local buses (we used to have too many darn buses) with lots of success.  The result is that buses tend to be more crowded (something we have avoided since the COVID pandemic).   Although many of us routinely use the buses it is not a nice thing to do if you are carrying more then a small piece of luggage.  I guess I am speaking for many of the locals when I say please do not use the buses from outside the airport if you are carrying large luggage.   That being said, the buses are a terrific way to get around the region and quite cheap (about 50 cents for the one's within PV.  

Hank