Changing from refundable to non-refundable

FirstTeacher

8 minutes ago, miched said:

How does it work changing non refundable to refundable and then canceling?   🤷‍♂️

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

It doesn't work. You cannot change from non-refundable to refundable. If they allowed it, everyone with a non-refundable booking looking to cancel would simply switch to a refundable booking to get a refund of the deposit.

1 hour ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

It doesn't work. You cannot change from non-refundable to refundable. If they allowed it, everyone with a non-refundable booking looking to cancel would simply switch to a refundable booking to get a refund of the deposit.

Thanks.

I always book non refundable.  I also use  future cruise certificates.   The cruises that I have booked have always increased in price so booking a refundable and then switching to non refundable wouldn’t be feasible.   It would end up costing more.  I don’t book cruises to cancel.   The $200 isn’t much if I do have to cancel.   It is cheaper than insurance and the refundable price.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

12 hours ago, miched said:

Thanks.

I always book non refundable.  I also use  future cruise certificates.   The cruises that I have booked have always increased in price so booking a refundable and then switching to non refundable wouldn’t be feasible.   It would end up costing more.  I don’t book cruises to cancel.   The $200 isn’t much if I do have to cancel.   It is cheaper than insurance and the refundable price.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Question, can you book a non-refundable with the future cruise credit and only be at risk for that future cruise credit price?  We haven’t taken a cruise with Celebrity since they changed the rules, putting 100% of the non-refundable deposit at risk.  In fact, our last transaction with Celebrity was to cancel a non-refundable booking and losing $200 and getting the $700 back in credits to a similar itinerary a month later (at a much better price).  I thought the change in policy about the non-refundable deposits would put an end to my Celebrity cruising, but maybe I should just buy some (enough for a couple of cruises) future cruise credits on my next cruise and only have those at risk for my next non-refundable purchase.  

The new policy on non-refundable is not customer friendly and drove the price of cruises close to those of more premium lines.  Maybe future credits, or whatever Celebrity calls them, is the answer.

21 hours ago, miched said:

How does it work changing non refundable to refundable and then canceling?   🤷‍♂️

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

You cannot change from NRD to RD for the same sailing without canceling the cruise and loosing your deposit

19 hours ago, miched said:

Thanks.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I believe that if you cancel your NRD booking, you will loose your full deposit, not just $200.

6 minutes ago, ISABELLA said:

I believe that if you cancel your NRD booking, you will loose your full deposit, not just $200.

For cruises booked on or after March 2, 2023 that is the case. If you booked before that, you can still obtain a FCC for the deposit minus a $100pp fee.

For bookings made March 2023 and beyond, you can avoid forfeiting the entire deposit by transferring the booking to another sailing by paying a $100pp change fee.

9 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

Question, can you book a non-refundable with the future cruise credit and only be at risk for that future cruise credit price?  We haven’t taken a cruise with Celebrity since they changed the rules, putting 100% of the non-refundable deposit at risk.  In fact, our last transaction with Celebrity was to cancel a non-refundable booking and losing $200 and getting the $700 back in credits to a similar itinerary a month later (at a much better price).  I thought the change in policy about the non-refundable deposits would put an end to my Celebrity cruising, but maybe I should just buy some (enough for a couple of cruises) future cruise credits on my next cruise and only have those at risk for my next non-refundable purchase.  

The new policy on non-refundable is not customer friendly and drove the price of cruises close to those of more premium lines.  Maybe future credits, or whatever Celebrity calls them, is the answer.

Yes,   booking onboard either with Future Cruise Certificate (Book Later) or a Book Now you get the reduced deposit of $100 pp.  If you don't select a sailing I believe within 1 year the deposit is refunded.  Once you select a sailing, if you select a NRD rate then only the $200 is at risk until final payment.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Yes,   booking onboard either with Future Cruise Certificate (Book Later) or a Book Now you get the reduced deposit of $100 pp.  If you don't select a sailing I believe within 1 year the deposit is refunded.  Once you select a sailing, if you select a NRD rate then only the $200 is at risk until final payment.

Your FCC is refunded if you do not use it, but that depends on the rules of the certificate; my last one was for 6 months, but if I book a suite, I still have to pay up to the 10% deposit, so $200 + balance of 10%.  No reason to book a suite this way, as there is no incentive.  Of course, when I received the certificate the rules were different, but that no longer matters.  Everyone needs to be very careful when booking; having a good TA is now even more important, IMHO.  I am just thankful that several cruises were booked of the next two years...stills scares me just a little about all these rule changes, along with keeping up on every new one.

On 8/2/2023 at 5:25 PM, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

most of this topic is changing from refundable to non refundable.  I don't think you can switch from non refundable to a refundable.  I know that when you apply a non refundable air credit to a refundable one the portion that was non refundable remains non refundable and only the new money becomes refundable.