Major introvert... branching out!

Bella8286

I can't believe I just booked my first solo cruise... I am super anxious but now that I've actually booked, I'm getting excited! I have been on many cruises with my ex and I'm REALLY missing it. None of my friends really enjoy cruising as much as I do but Carnival's $70pp deal only an hour from my home that just so happens to be my Spring Break week was a sign to me. I am super shy and not outgoing but since being separated (I was very codependent unfortunately) I'm really trying to force myself to try new things ALONE. Any tips, tricks, advice? I know Carnival isn't known for their singles activities but since I've never even paid attention I have no idea if they even offer anything. I've joined my roll call which is dead btw and joined the Facebook group. This is SO unlike anything I would ever do but for that price, I couldn't even go stay in a hotel for a weekend! I'd rather be cruising alone for a week rather than sitting at home alone for a week 🙂

• Like 3

You'll love it and will randomly meet people. Sometimes because you all sit in the same area of the pool or did an excursion together and other times because you saw a show. I go with the philosophy of if I meet people great, if I don't not a worry. I bring lots of books with me, go to the gym, pick excursions I would enjoy, etc. 

The best part of solo travel - you get to do what you want, when you want, how you want. Don't feel like going to a show, don't go. Want to play bingo every day, go for it! You are going to find a strength inside of you you didn't know was there.

• Like 4

bhsolo offers good suggestions.  I'll add to find a bar that you like ( music, bartenders, vibe, etc.) and become a regular at that bar.  Sit at the bar--not at a table--and try to say a few words to whatever guests sit next or near to you as well as the bartenders.  A few words (like what is in that drink that you ordered) can lead to interesting conversations.  

• Like 3

Everyone above gave you some excellent suggestions! I'm an introvert as well, and have done dozens of solo cruises - it really is a great way to travel for us shy people.

I carry a book everywhere - dining room/theatre/on deck/etc, plus often carry my needlework. Anyone friendly who is a reader (or crafter) stops by to ask what I'm reading or what I'm making - you can then decide how much you want to chat, or if you just want to keep it brief? Because they have a common interest, it's very easy to talk to them!

Also, finding "your bar" and getting to know the bartenders and regulars really makes you feel welcome when you walk in.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, canuckcruzingirl said:

I carry a book everywhere - dining room/theatre/on deck/etc, plus often carry my needlework. Anyone friendly who is a reader (or crafter) stops by to ask what I'm reading or what I'm making - you can then decide how much you want to chat, or if you just want to keep it brief? Because they have a common interest, it's very easy to talk to them!

An excellent suggestion and it is something that I also do.  I keep a written journal and often carry that with me, sometimes with a book.  Seeing the journal, I have had both crew members and fellow guests ask me about that.  It's not difficult to strike up a conversation during a cruise.  

• Like 3

I second the above suggestions. And I'll add one, although I am not familiar with Carnival and whether specialty restaurants are an option. If you can, be sure to have a nice specialty meal if that appeals to you--don't worry about being alone at your table. The staff will (should!) take good care of you!

Edited by hrhdhd
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

I am not familiar with Carnival and whether specialty restaurants are an option. If you can, be sure to have a nice specialty meal if that appeals to you--don't worry about being alone at your table. The staff will (should!) take good care of you!

Agree; a solo dinner at a specialty restaurant usually provides an excellent lunch/dinner, interesting people-watching opportunities, and very good service.  Many Carnival ships have steakhouses that are truly excellent in cuisine, service, and ambiance.  

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 12:38 PM, hrhdhd said:

And I'll add one, although I am not familiar with Carnival and whether specialty restaurants are an option. If you can, be sure to have a nice specialty meal if that appeals to you--don't worry about being alone at your table. The staff will (should!) take good care of you!

On my last cruise, Queen Elizabeth two years ago, I decided to treat myself to a special meal in the Verandah speciality restaurant. Needless to say, the food and service were faultless. Would I do it again? As as single, no: the pace was very leisurely with big gaps between courses (probably because they were cooked to order). If I'd been half of a couple, I would really have appreciated this but I just felt awkward. What I might be open to doing on a future occasion is looking out for another solo who would appreciate a speciality restaurant meal without solitude.

• Thanks 1

As a Platinum on NCL you get free dinners for 2 at specialty restaurants.  When at the solos meeting often someone will ask if anyone wants to go to dinner with them.  They always had company.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure who you are asking about the deal but if you are going out of Charleston you can go to the Carnival site, click on Plan and then on Deals.

They have a sale that lasts until tomorrow but it only goes until April 30th out of Charleston.

Of course they may start a new sale on Feb. 1st.

Also, the later in the first half of the year, the more expensive as a rule.

On 1/24/2022 at 11:15 AM, Bella8286 said:

I can't believe I just booked my first solo cruise... I am super anxious but now that I've actually booked, I'm getting excited! I have been on many cruises with my ex and I'm REALLY missing it. None of my friends really enjoy cruising as much as I do but Carnival's $70pp deal only an hour from my home that just so happens to be my Spring Break week was a sign to me. I am super shy and not outgoing but since being separated (I was very codependent unfortunately) I'm really trying to force myself to try new things ALONE. Any tips, tricks, advice? I know Carnival isn't known for their singles activities but since I've never even paid attention I have no idea if they even offer anything. I've joined my roll call which is dead btw and joined the Facebook group. This is SO unlike anything I would ever do but for that price, I couldn't even go stay in a hotel for a weekend! I'd rather be cruising alone for a week rather than sitting at home alone for a week 🙂

I am in a very similar situation as you and I have had hit and miss success in meeting people as a solo cruiser.  I have had some of the most fun cruises and I have had fairly boring cruises too.  One of the keys to success was getting a good roll call going here.  The bigger the group you can get the better.  Then set up a meet and greet.  If you have partners in crime then you can have a blast.  I personally was only looking for cruise friends and not more.  The people I have met and spent a lot of time with have ranged fro young 20s to mid 60s, I am 56 and divorced, and been both married and single of every shape and size.  The only thing we needed in common was the desire to have fun.  I still email many of those friends.  Some are so far from my demographic you would laugh...but they are good friends.  I have become protective of some of my young solo cruisers friends and we watch out for each other.  We still try to hit some cruises together but that is hard since everybody’s schedule is so different.  What cruise are you on and have you checked for a roll call?

J

• Like 1