Risk Free Guarantee, Shore Excursions and Vouchers

VikingNewbie

We are new to Viking and relatively new to cruising (my last cruise was decades ago) so I'm curious what more seasoned cruisers think:

Booked a cruise for Jan 2nd to the Caribbean under the pretty generous Risk Free Guarantee (RFG) that you have to give 24 hour notice before flight. I had booked (and paid for) 7 optional shore excursions and pre-paid gratuities. Dec. 27th I started worrying that we may not want to take the cruise due to so many cancelled flights, CDC recommendations, port closing and Omicron wave. Called 12/27 to cancel Shore Excursion bookings and ask for a refund for those and pre-paid gratuities. I wanted to be sure I cancelled the shore excursions within the 2 days required and figured I could rebook these on the cruise if we went. On Dec. 30th I spoke with a customer service rep who went ahead and cancelled for us under the  RFG.  He confirmed for me that my refund for cancelled shore excursions and pre-paid grats were in refund process and would go back into my account and the cruise fair would become a voucher under RFG. I said perfect and that was that. A couple weeks later I received vouchers in the amount of the cruise fare, Shore Excursion Booking and pre-paid grats. Called customer service who told me that the other customer service person make a mistake and that you "can't believe what you hear, only what is in writing." (?!) I mentioned that Viking's Terms & Conditions state the following: "A full refund will be given for most Optional Shore Excursions if you give notice of cancellation at least 48 hours prior to the Optional Shore Excursion." (verbatim) and asked him to email me the verbiage where I gave that up with the RFG. He sent me this from the RFG "Reservation changes under the Risk-Free Guarantee will be reimbursed in the form of a Risk-Free Guarantee Future Cruise Voucher in the amount of 100% of all monies paid to Viking." He said refunds take 21 days and because the refund hadn't been fully processed it became part of the voucher - he said the 21 day processing is to make sure people don't "game the system." (?!) I also spoke with a Supervisor and emailed vc@vikingcruises.com and got the same RFG quote back when making my case that this RFG language was meant to assure people there was no penalty assessed with the cancellation and should not overrule what their own T&C says about the shore excursions. The reality is likely that with the increased prices (and deal I got on the original cruise), I will need the extra amount on the voucher toward the future cruise anyway but BOY! did this leave a bad taste in my mouth for Viking and cruising in general. I feel like I can't trust customer service now and I have to read everything for double meanings. So did I just make rookie mistakes? (pre-paying grats and optional shore bookings) or does anyone else think this wording is a bit tricky.  How does this compare with other cruise lines? - I bought into the messaging that Viking was more reputable somehow and not wanting to "nickel and dime" you. Also, if my next cruise is less than the vouchers, I had assumed the remainder would be issued as an onboard credit. Not so sure anymore....

Welcome to the Viking Board.

So sorry to hear about your experience with what I assume was the US Office just outside L/A. Many of us have experienced issued with this office, myself included. I look it as I have to suffer dealing with the US Office to experience the amazing onboard experience that the Viking crews provide.

With respect to your situation, definitely ramp it up the food chain, but I note that this subject matter was recently posted, with a suggestion to cancel shore-ex well before cancelling the cruise under RFG.

I suggest researching the T&C of the FCV's carefully. They are normally valid for 2-years from the date of issue. Must be used on a new river/ocean/expedition cruise and applied before the expiry date. Cannot be used for the Viking insurance and any remaining balance is lost upon embarking the vessel.

They can be used for:

• Cruise fare & cabin upgrades
  • Pre-paying tips
  • Pre-paying SSBP
  • Pre/Post excursions
  • Flights
  • Shore-ex booked prior to embarkation

Any balance remaining at embarkation day is lost, it is not converted to OBC.

• Like 1

Interesting. Thanks! Super good lesson to cancel excursions early if you think you may be cancelling. At least I know it wasn't just us. Do you happen to know  - If you book shore excursions with the voucher and cancel those later on board (within the 2 day limit) for example, due to weather or whatever, - does that money get converted to OBC? 

2 hours ago, VikingNewbie said:

Interesting. Thanks! Super good lesson to cancel excursions early if you think you may be cancelling. At least I know it wasn't just us. Do you happen to know  - If you book shore excursions with the voucher and cancel those later on board (within the 2 day limit) for example, due to weather or whatever, - does that money get converted to OBC? 

Yes, it does.  That happened to us for two excursions.  Viking canceled one of our ports that we had an optional excursion for, and I later cancelled an optional excursion and chose to do the included instead.  Both were purchased with voucher money and both became OBC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JeriGail said:

Yes, it does.  That happened to us for two excursions.  Viking canceled one of our ports that we had an optional excursion for, and I later cancelled an optional excursion and chose to do the included instead.  Both were purchased with voucher money and both became OBC.

Wow, that's really good to know. They make you use the vouchers prior to boarding but once onboard you can cancel and get OBC. Very interesting!!!

10 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

In my opinion, pre-purchasing gratuities, Bev pkg, shorex, or anything does not make sense, since they can be purchased once onboard.  Why risk money, especially during pandemic?  

If you have voucher money that needs to be used before boarding, it makes sense to use it on Silver Spirits or excursions.  We had already upgraded our cabin but still had considerable money to use.  We would lose this money if we didn't use it.

9 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

In my opinion, pre-purchasing gratuities, Bev pkg, shorex, or anything does not make sense, since they can be purchased once onboard.  Why risk money, especially during pandemic?  

Pre-purchasing shorex makes a lot of sense as they do fill up and prepayment does guarantee you’ll have a slot. The other items you mention make sense only when you’re using vouchers to pay for a cruise. Any voucher credit not used before embarkation is forfeited. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Thanks for the tip.  I just was in a chat with a Viking Rep and that was verified.  He also said that if you make spa appointments (which we did because we had these voucher $s), your voucher money would be used for those also, even though you are not charged until onboard.  Interesting.  

10 hours ago, lmstic said:

Thanks for the tip.  I just was in a chat with a Viking Rep and that was verified.  He also said that if you make spa appointments (which we did because we had these voucher $s), your voucher money would be used for those also, even though you are not charged until onboard.  Interesting.  

As the spa is operated by a contracted service, our TA has asked that question a couple of times and been advised that FCV's cannot be used for booking spa appointments.

Certainly won't guarantee that the information our TA received is correct, but you may wish to ask again, or even submit a request to the great people at tellus@vikingcruises.com

It is so crazy.  I will send an email too.  It i funny, when the rep told me that was possible, i asked if i needed that in writing and he said NO.  I should have insisted.  I will check again.  Thank you all.