Havila Capella

gwenmarie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hubby and I are booked on the Havila Castor as part of a OAT trip. I believe we embark on 8 Sept. The pictures of the Castor and the Capella look wonderful. Maybe once people actually sail on these new ships, Havila can get its own category here.

Unless this gets resolved, I don't think any of us will be traveling on the Havila line.

The passenger ship MS Havila Capella was due to sail from Bergen on Tuesday evening. By midnight that evening, the ship was still docked in the city.

Now the communications manager at Havila, Lasse A. Vangstein, confirms that it is due to sanctions against the ship's Russian lender GTLK.

There is uncertainty about insurance coverage that puts the departure at risk. This is a situation that has arisen as a result of sanctions against the leasing company that has financed Havila, Vangstein told BT.

Due to the sanctions, any payments to GTLK go to a blocked bank account, Vangstein adds.

Vangstein adds that they are in contact with the Norwegian authorities to clarify the situation.

"It is deeply regrettable for all our passengers who were looking forward to travelling. It is a situation that is beyond our control," says Vangstein.

Havila Capella left Ålesund on Monday evening and arrived in Bergen at 13:00 on Tuesday, and was supposed to sail onwards at 20:30 on Tuesday evening.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news!  Back in action, at least for 6 months which gives them time to work out the financing and insurance:

Havila Voyages has received a dispensation from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to operate Havila Capella for 6 months. The company will now continue to work with insurance of the ship.

https://www.mynewsdesk.com/havilavoyages/pressreleases/havila-capella-has-been-granted-a-dispensation-to-sail-3177616

Also some nice photos of the new Castor on their homepage.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, twototravel said:

@Flyinby Have you heard anything about the other ships, specifically Castor? I'm booked on that ship in Sept.

Havila's homepage says she's "on her way" with some nice photos of the interior...looks great.  Hope you'll post some info about your experiences on your trip.  We're not booked until February (Capella) but seeing the photos gets me even more excited for the trip.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi - we're thinking of doing a Havila trip to Kirkenes in February 2023.  Has anyone been on one of their ships yet?  We were wondering if a balcony would be useful (or even usable) on a February sailing?  The Panorama view rooms look just fine if the balcony wouldn't be used due to the cold.

We haven't been there yet, but are booked for Feb. 14 round trip on the Capella.  I was considering the panoramic view rooms, but was not sure that the forward view would be to our liking, since it looks like the side view is somewhat limited.  So we ended up opting for the suite with balcony.  While I don't expect we'll be lounging around on the balcony, I think we'll use it...maybe bundled up, but cruising Norway ports in winter sounds exciting, and if we get cold looking at the sights there's always inside.

But of course that's just speculation...the panorama room view may be great.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Four of us were on the Capella late Sept. into early Oct. for 12 days. A wonderful cruise. New ship, only 6 Americans on board with about 100 passengers total. A tour group from Germany made up the majority of the rest of the passengers.  I just posted a review - sorry for the delay and it should be up on this website in a few days.  No complaints - well a few very minor ones mentioned, but all in all I would rate this about a 95 out of 100!  Highly recommend the ship, the crew, the country, the scenery - and on, and on, and on.