Best travel insurance?

Cruisingrampy

We used Manulife .... and I mean actually used.  We had to miss our cruise in late December due to one of our companions testing positive the day before boarding.

Manulife will pay $200 per person per day for lodging and meals for up to 14 days.  Also $500 towards the rescheduling a new flight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 3JCruiser said:

Try TUGO, they have good coverage that includes cruise

We looked into TUGO , TUGO gives $150/day per person and Manulife is $200/day. 

TUGO also does not have trip interruption with the travel plan,  Manulife does. 

I read the fine print of Manulife regarding trip interruption. It says it covers flight changes if the flight is missed because of “listed” reasons— basically, getting stuck in traffic jams/ late arrival of connections, etc. I couldn’t find anything that might be interpreted  as to apply to changing flights because of a delay in getting PCR results, just about quarantining because of Covid.

Since Celebrity is now doing these tests in the port, catching a noon flight after our Apex cruise in February may be tight if there are delays in arriving in port/disembarkation/number of people needing tests, etc.  Has anyone else read the  covered reasons and thinks that the flight change costs will be covered? If so, can you post the section/wording?

If not, I am thinking about buying another plane ticket for later in the day and “eating” the cost of my current return flight🤷🏻‍♀️if we do miss it. I think that Air Canada lets you change or cancel for a credit up to two hours before but the ticket prices right now are quite high.

If you're going have 2 return flights booked, I've seen suggestions previously to book a refundable one for the later one. If you are lucky enough to catch the first flight you can get your money back for the second.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 5:23 PM, macfam5 said:

We looked into TUGO , TUGO gives $150/day per person and Manulife is $200/day. 

TUGO also does not have trip interruption with the travel plan,  Manulife does. 

When you do a quote with TUGO -- what do you put in as your destination? The USA?

We have used TUGO for extended travel...months.  We dealt directly with them, extremely knowledgeable agent who provided us with a flexible, comprehensive policy.  Then offered us a 25 percent or so discount if we went with a $3K deductible policy.  We were able to email them and extend the policy time frame while we were travelling.     Our trip was Europe, Africa, Central America, US.  Not certain how we handled the 'where' question but I remember them asking.  Nor did we have a complete itinerary...it was to a certain extent very spontaneous travel.

We have 60 day out of country Manulife through my pension plan.    We had one claim several years ago.  They paid the claim promptly, in full, within three business weeks.  

Edited by iancal

4 minutes ago, xcell said:

It doesn't give me that options...  it list a bunch of Provinces and countries.

I received my quote over the phone, I never did it online. I told the agent where we were cruising. Here is the phone number of the agent I spoke with:

1-866-707-4361 ext 119

We found Manulife to be better 

On 1/30/2022 at 9:27 AM, Cthy651 said:

Any suggestions for insurance for seniors 68 and 78??

Look at the cruise line insurance if on a cruise .I'm 71 and my wife is 65. Any plans for travel seem to be extremely expensive.For what insurance companies are charging I can get a 7 day cruise for the both of us.

I'm personally in an insurance quandary. I have Alberta Blue Cross Travel Insurance through an employer program however they will not cover Covid related issues if on a cruise. Am I to gather that they will still cover other medical issues not related to Covid or is it all not covered because it's a cruise? (I haven't called them yet, just ready their website).

I bought Princess Platinum insurance, reading that seems to indicate medical issues related to Covid and other things would be covered. So do I really need other insurance? I haven't travelled you in the Covid era so I was pretty used to just always having the employer Blue Cross ongoing coverage and never really needed to think about this very much. 

1 hour ago, pistnbroke said:

Pacific Blue Cross offer full Covid quarantine and cruise coverage.

The annual plan offers the best value

Perhaps your annual plan offers something different but, when we looked at the Pacific Blue Cross website for Medical and Non-Medical Insurance, we did not see that they cover Trip Cancellation/Interruption for Covid (medical only):

"COVID-19 related Trip Cancellation or Interruption issues will not be covered if you departed for your trip or purchased travel insurance on or after March 12, 2020, at which time COVID-19 was considered a known event. Trip Protection will still cover you for those unexpected cancellations, interruptions or delays not related to COVID-19."

17 hours ago, sueandkent said:

I'm personally in an insurance quandary. I have Alberta Blue Cross Travel Insurance through an employer program however they will not cover Covid related issues if on a cruise. Am I to gather that they will still cover other medical issues not related to Covid or is it all not covered because it's a cruise? (I haven't called them yet, just ready their website).

I bought Princess Platinum insurance, reading that seems to indicate medical issues related to Covid and other things would be covered. So do I really need other insurance? I haven't travelled you in the Covid era so I was pretty used to just always having the employer Blue Cross ongoing coverage and never really needed to think about this very much. 

Princess insurance seems to be a great option for Canadians and the price is right. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2022 at 8:23 PM, Traveller1982 said:

I read the fine print of Manulife regarding trip interruption. It says it covers flight changes if the flight is missed because of “listed” reasons— basically, getting stuck in traffic jams/ late arrival of connections, etc. I couldn’t find anything that might be interpreted  as to apply to changing flights because of a delay in getting PCR results, just about quarantining because of Covid.

Since Celebrity is now doing these tests in the port, catching a noon flight after our Apex cruise in February may be tight if there are delays in arriving in port/disembarkation/number of people needing tests, etc.  Has anyone else read the  covered reasons and thinks that the flight change costs will be covered? If so, can you post the section/wording?

If not, I am thinking about buying another plane ticket for later in the day and “eating” the cost of my current return flight🤷🏻‍♀️if we do miss it. I think that Air Canada lets you change or cancel for a credit up to two hours before but the ticket prices right now are quite high.

I bought the covid specific plan from them which does cover costs if you test positive. 

I chose Manulife, and specifically purchased the Manulife policy thru Costco.  For some reason, it's much less expensive than buying directly from Manulife.  A number of people on these boards attest to having receiving excellent and responsive claims service. 

Posting an update with regards to the Manulife Covid coverage.  We were in the US 1 day prior to boarding and one of our group tested positive (December 25th) .  A phone call to Manulife confirmed we would all be covered for our 'trip interruption' cruise portion.  This entitled us to $200 per person per day for meals and accommodation combined.  It also included a maximum of $500 in the event we had to rebook our flights due to the quarantine period.

Between all of us we did not spend near that cost and to date are still pending payment on the circumstance.

Outside of what I listed above there is NO OTHER expense coverage.  You would have to purchase medical in order to get medical or even the cost of the Covid test covered.