What to do at Amber Cove

braces43

We just returned from our cruise (1/29/22) and I wanted to give a summary of Amber Cove.  It is a cruise passenger only (owned by Carnival I believe) stop. We did dock (not tender) and the dock is medium in length -  5-10 minute walk depending on speed.   There is not much at the port itself.  There are, of course, the usual shops and a couple of bars.  There is a large pool with a couple small slides and plenty of free lounge chairs, but not much shade.  There is NO beach - not even for walking or snorkeling / swimming.  The water is lined on all sides by large boulders with no access.  There was even a guard making sure no one tried to climb on or over the boulders.  There were some taxis on the road if you exited the protected cruise port area, but nothing within walking distance. It is about a 25 minute ride into the nearest town - Puerto Plata. We however, went on a Carnival excursion and were very happy we did.  We usually avoid the ship's excursions, but here you really need to plan something to do if you don't want to sit by a pool all day.  We did the Mountain Views and City Sights tour.  It was great.  It was only $50/pp - it says 3.5 hours, but ours was 5 hours.  We were on an open air mini bus that was only half full (14 people on tour).  We had a great guide.  It is a beautiful, lush, mountainous island and I definitely recommend you try to see some of the island.  Our tour went to the top of a mountain where there is a beautiful botanical garden and the famous Christ the Redeemer statue.  After about 90 minutes on the mountain, we headed back down and into Puerta Plata where we did a nice drive beside the beach promenade, a walking tour of Plaza Independencia including the cathedral, and walked down Umbrella Street with a stop for local chocolate and homemade ice cream. We also did a drive by of  Fort San Felipe.  It was a great time.  We were back to the ship for lunch (1:00) and then still had time to get back off and walk around the Amber Cove port area before our all aboard at 3:30.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 9

• 3 weeks later...

We were there in January and will be going back in March and again in June.  We loved the pool area.  The staff was great, the food delicious and the drinks were strong.  We rented the Pool cabana which was awesome and we will be doing that again.  They had a zipline which most in our party did and said it was very fun.  They have pedicabs from the boat to the pool and then back again that are free but they appreciate tips.  The shops were okay but they are still not open 100% .

• Like 3

12 hours ago, wardwhitty said:

We were there in January and will be going back in March and again in June.  We loved the pool area.  The staff was great, the food delicious and the drinks were strong.  We rented the Pool cabana which was awesome and we will be doing that again.  They had a zipline which most in our party did and said it was very fun.  They have pedicabs from the boat to the pool and then back again that are free but they appreciate tips.  The shops were okay but they are still not open 100% .

We have the poolside cabana rented as well for our upcoming trip in April. Was the zipline included in the cabana rental? Willing to pay extra for that if not included. Were there any included drinks, snacks, or other amenities with the cabana? Certainly prepared to buy drinks and pay for lunch there as well. Is private wait service included? And how were those hammocks? Also, was the area controlled via wristband or something? We have eight booked but there are another five in a third cabin who are just planning to do the regular pool that day. 

The cabana was great.  There were sodas, waters, bags of chips and that kind of thing.  You do have a private waitstaff and they are fantastic and very attentive.  The upstairs is air conditioned plus had two loungers under umbrellas and a tv.  Downstairs the hammock was comfy but we did not use it as much because it was such a gorgeous day.  They set up lounge chairs for us right in front of our cabana and brought over an umbrella. We had 4 rafts and 4 pool noodles. There were no wrist bands but the area is roped off from the other part of the pool deck area.  The bathrooms are close by.  Technically the cabana is set up for 4 snack and drink wise but there were 8 of us and they allowed us all to be together.  You will not regret it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/30/2022 at 2:29 PM, braces43 said:

We did the Mountain Views and City Sights tour.

On 2/17/2022 at 1:04 PM, wardwhitty said:

They have pedicabs from the boat to the pool and then back again that are free but they appreciate tips.

We will be at Amber Cove in November. Do either of you recall how far it is from where pedicab drops you off to the tour bus area? May not be completely rehabbed from surgery by then but would like to take Mountain Views & City Sights tour.

Just a heads-up Cruise Suzy, we did the Mountain Views and City Sights tour last January and really enjoyed it, but there are many steep and uneven stairs in the botanical gardens and some steep slopes.  You walk down the mountain through the garden to get to the bus.

My husband and I have always been able to pay for an umbrella at the pool area. We select the two loungers we want to use and the workers will come along and set up an umbrella between them so that we are both in the shade. I can't remember how much we have paid for the umbrella in the past - maybe a more recent cruiser can share what an umbrella costs these days. We need shade and we really enjoy the pool at Amber Cove. 

• 4 weeks later...

We went to Damagua Falls in June Independently with Iguana Mama. It was fantastic. We hiked for about an hour then did several zip lines ( really good ones) then we went to several falls and jumped in. After that we hiked back down and had a delicious lunch. You can hire a kid with a water camera who takes pictures of you all day , they show you the pics and give you a thumb drive with all the pics on them. You have to be in decent shape to do this and wear closed toe water shoes. It was  a blast

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2022 at 1:29 PM, braces43 said:

We just returned from our cruise (1/29/22) and I wanted to give a summary of Amber Cove.  It is a cruise passenger only (owned by Carnival I believe) stop. We did dock (not tender) and the dock is medium in length -  5-10 minute walk depending on speed.   There is not much at the port itself.  There are, of course, the usual shops and a couple of bars.  There is a large pool with a couple small slides and plenty of free lounge chairs, but not much shade.  There is NO beach - not even for walking or snorkeling / swimming.  The water is lined on all sides by large boulders with no access.  There was even a guard making sure no one tried to climb on or over the boulders.  There were some taxis on the road if you exited the protected cruise port area, but nothing within walking distance. It is about a 25 minute ride into the nearest town - Puerto Plata. We however, went on a Carnival excursion and were very happy we did.  We usually avoid the ship's excursions, but here you really need to plan something to do if you don't want to sit by a pool all day.  We did the Mountain Views and City Sights tour.  It was great.  It was only $50/pp - it says 3.5 hours, but ours was 5 hours.  We were on an open air mini bus that was only half full (14 people on tour).  We had a great guide.  It is a beautiful, lush, mountainous island and I definitely recommend you try to see some of the island.  Our tour went to the top of a mountain where there is a beautiful botanical garden and the famous Christ the Redeemer statue.  After about 90 minutes on the mountain, we headed back down and into Puerta Plata where we did a nice drive beside the beach promenade, a walking tour of Plaza Independencia including the cathedral, and walked down Umbrella Street with a stop for local chocolate and homemade ice cream. We also did a drive by of  Fort San Felipe.  It was a great time.  We were back to the ship for lunch (1:00) and then still had time to get back off and walk around the Amber Cove port area before our all aboard at 3:30.  

Thank you for this review.  It got mixed reviews on the HAL web site.  We have this tour booked for our Nov cruise.  Had been to Amber Cove previously & didn't want another pool day this trip, but also didn't want to break the bank.  I am glad you had a good tour.

On 11/7/2022 at 2:03 PM, DebQ5 said:

Can NCL passengers rent the cabanas?  I don't see it offered as an excursion.  Thanks for any help!

Can NCL passengers go to Amber Cove?  Someone mentioned Carnival owns it. Is it really free as someone says? Looking at the videos it just looks like a big pool with loud music.  I like both but think I would get bored within two hours.  Please shed some light.

On 1/30/2022 at 2:29 PM, braces43 said:

Thank you for this review.  It sounds like just what I am looking to do on my January 2023 cruise stop here!

Looks like the Playabachata resort is within walking distance from Amber Cove. Has anyone just paid for a room for a night to get access to the resort and just walk over?  Carnival has an excursion per person for this, but I'm more interested in going over when I want on my own. Thoughts?