Check-In Times

andie717

Hello!  We are booked for a cruise from Miami in March.  I'm struggling right now what to do with hotels the night before we cruise.  The first problem is we don't arrive until around 1:30 am the day of the cruise (we are leaving Chicago Friday night for a Saturday cruise departure).  It is the only flight that will work for us, unfortunately.  We are flying into FLL, departing from Miami.  Hotel prices are INSANE.  And it kills me that I have to spend so much for a few hours!  Right now I have a couple of cancelable options booked near FLL, ranging in cost between $250-300.  But these are all "cheap" airport hotels.  Given our short time, I only care that it is clean and safe.  But getting on to my question...

I'm wondering if I'm better off paying for a slightly nicer hotel in Miami.  Yes, it would take longer to get there (but not much).  And we could then maybe relax and enjoy the morning?  The Hampton Inn and Suites is coming in around $350, and we've enjoyed the area in the past.  

And finally getting to my question...in the past we used to get FTTF.  Since we won't this time, how has it been reserving your check-in time?  In my mind, I'm thinking if we end up with a later check-in time, it might be better to be at a somewhat "nicer" hotel to relax in the morning.  I know the Hampton is close to a grocery store, too, so we could pick up any last minute necessities (wine!).  

I'm open to any other thoughts if anyone else has had this issue!  So many of the inexpensive hotel's reviews scare me!

Thanks!

• Like 1

I've never sailed out of Miami, but in my experience the later check-in times (after 1 pm or so) go a lot smoother - as in little or no waiting to get into the terminal and walk right onto the ship.  Plus it's nice not to have to lug your carry-ons around waiting for access to your cabin.

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Guest BasicSailor

I suggest you take a look at Embassy Suites; it's our (Go Too Hotel) the hotel will shuttle you to the port, but the return is on you. Happy hour (Manager's reception) with a cooked to order breakfast. Its right at the airport and the shuttle operator will generally stop for any last-minute items you may need. 

30 minutes ago, groundloop said:

I've never sailed out of Miami, but in my experience the later check-in times (after 1 pm or so) go a lot smoother - as in little or no waiting to get into the terminal and walk right onto the ship.  Plus it's nice not to have to lug your carry-ons around waiting for access to your cabin.

See, this is what I'm thinking.  Maybe we spend a bit more, but start our morning closer to the port, get brunch, relax in the warm weather...  We've always been one of the first ones on, but without FTTF, maybe this later idea is better...  Thanks for the input!

• Like 1

OP, once you have narrowed down your hotel choices, do check directly with the hotel for their rates.  You might find that booking directly is less expensive.  (We just saved hundreds on an airline flight by booking directly, and even got direct flights to boot!)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

OP, once you have narrowed down your hotel choices, do check directly with the hotel for their rates.  You might find that booking directly is less expensive.  (We just saved hundreds on an airline flight by booking directly, and even got direct flights to boot!)

Oh, yes!  I always do.  Especially with our late arrival, I definitely feel better booking direct!  And in my experience, they will always match a price on 3rd party sites.

• Like 3

We usually go over the night before but like you said, the prices are a little steep for what you get.  On the Sunrise last week we got the 11:00 - 11:30 slot and walked right no without stopping except to check paperwork. 

This time (Horizon on Saturday), we have the 1:00 - 1:30 slot because I didn't do online check in until around noon on the first day I could do it.  So, like you we are just going to take it easy and get there around 1:00.  I have 8 days to enjoy, I guess 2 hours won;t be an issue.

So, I'm with you, sleep in a bit, have a nice breakfast and take your time.  Oh and do it in Miami.  You'll be wide awake when you land so might as well bite the bullet and head to Miami that night.

Have fun!

• Like 3

I would check Hotwire for a hotel near FLL. You are scheduled to arrive very late and if it were me I would want to get straight to the hotel as quickly as possible to get a good nights sleep before the cruise. Also consider weather and staffing shortages have caused many delays recently. Also make sure you have a plan to eat. Don't assume that you will have a lot of choices. Another problem with the pandemic is reduced hours at businesses especially in airports. Also make sure you communicate your plans for a late arrival for whatever hotel you choose. You don't want to show up and find out they sold your room because they thought you were not gonna show.

Once you know what FLL hotel you are booked at you can look at travel options to POM. Several transportation companies pick up at FLL hotels for Miami cruises. An example would be SAS, they have a list of hotels on their web site and are currently charging $13 or$15 depending on number of passengers.

This plan should save you money and be a lot less stressful.

• Like 1

OP let me add that if you look for a hotel on Hotwire or Priceline don't do it from the same computer you already booked your current reservations from. The search history in that computer may not allow you to see better and cheaper options because it remembers you searched and booked for the specific dates.

• Like 2