Danube water levels 2022 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

23 minutes ago, bluestocking7 said:

From this thread it seems that the water issue is in Bavaria rather than downstream.  Is that right?

Not quite. We have let us call it anecdotal evidence that things can be tricky around Budapest. The river is low there, but there had been a slight up. It does not necessarily mean that ships are not sailing but there may be a few problems with the docking situation, from what I have learned. It is not clear at what level that happens. Just be prepared. Here is the graph to show you the developments at Budapest:

https://www.hydroinfo.hu/mobil/en/hidro/graf.php?allomas=442027H_en&am=

Since the 3rd of August the level has been going down again.

Austria is fine for much longer than Bavaria. I have no info on Slovakia.

Pfelling gauge peaked late last night at 266cm, now down to 259cm.

notamermaid

We're currently on the River Discovery 2, coming to the end of our cruise, from Passau to Budapest, docked at Bratislava. It's just been announced that we are unable to sail to Budapest, due to the low river level, so will be bussed to Budapest for our final day, tomorrow. Very pleased that we have managed to get this far! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jangermat said:

We're currently on the River Discovery 2, coming to the end of our cruise, from Passau to Budapest, docked at Bratislava. It's just been announced that we are unable to sail to Budapest, due to the low river level, so will be bussed to Budapest for our final day, tomorrow. Very pleased that we have managed to get this far! 

Thank you for the info, that is very helpful.

I am wondering, will you see some sights? As part of the standard offer I left the ship at Esztergom, saw the Basilica, took the coach to Szentendre through the countryside and arrived in Budapest through the 1960's housing blocks and traffic jam. Highly interesting morning.

While it is more spectacular sailing into Budapest, coach can be nice.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this great information.  I'll be on the Romantic Danube with Viking (Budapest to Regensburg) in mid September.  What's the minimum water level required for a Viking longship to make the entire route?  

@bluestocking7 - Best to be prepared! 

@notamermaid - we dock at Komárno and bus to Budapest - we've been told it takes about an hour and we're hoping for a scenic drive. It is a bit disappointing that we won't be sailing in  but we have managed to sail most of the way. We just might have to do it again one of these days 😀

7 minutes ago, Jangermat said:

@bluestocking7 - Best to be prepared! 

@notamermaid - we dock at Komárno and bus to Budapest - we've been told it takes about an hour and we're hoping for a scenic drive. It is a bit disappointing that we won't be sailing in  but we have managed to sail most of the way. We just might have to do it again one of these days 😀

Book an evening cruise onboard a local excursion boat.    The views are well worth it.

49 minutes ago, Zonko said:

Thanks so much for this great information.  I'll be on the Romantic Danube with Viking (Budapest to Regensburg) in mid September.  What's the minimum water level required for a Viking longship to make the entire route?  

Based on prior discussion w notamermaid, I think 135m ship probably needs 280 at Pfelling, but she can correct this if needed

Thanks. To be on the safe side I will go with the authorities spokesperson who said in 2018 that it is 290cm at Pfelling. Between 280 and 290 is the "difficult phase". Difficult for us to establish what may happen. By that I mean ships may sail at 284cm at Pfelling but with the daily fluctuation and logistical planning taken into account your personal itinerary may already change when you read 286cm there.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

Just a couple of notes Re: Uniworld. Even though they refuse to put on their website or in my DM’s with them on Twitter that they have any cruises cancelled, they have several ships that are not moving or not on the correct itinerary, so they have clearly cancelled some. A notice on the site yesterday (gone today) said the port site in Budapest had moved to a different site there (presumably due to water level?) and that the Authentic Danube cruise leaving Vienna Aug 5 would be on River Duchess instead of River Princess. River Princess is stuck upstream in Regensberg, and it looks like they may be doing a ship swap there with River Duchess. Wish they were more honest/transparent about the situation, but I am figuring it out slowly using their ship positions

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, drisro1 said:

Just a couple of notes Re: Uniworld.

Hmm, not sure what is happening there and I really do not understand why companies do not put a notice on their websites. I mean, not saying I am a fan of Arosa or Viva Cruises, I have not sailed with either, so cannot judge anyway. But they both have a short paragraph on low water. Nothing special is being said, but at least it is there.

Pfelling, the notorious Pfelling, what does it look like? I did not sail there on my river cruise so do not know, but by chance I have come across a short video from a regional German broadcaster. I know few of you speak German enough to understand this but it is quite interesting footage. The gentleman at the stone is standing near there. You will hear the word Pfelling at 1:12. The boat sailing in the video does sonar with 36 sensors - in this low water everyday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgTQdFXdWMk

notamermaid

8 hours ago, drisro1 said:

Just a couple of notes Re: Uniworld. Even though they refuse to put on their website or in my DM’s with them on Twitter that they have any cruises cancelled, they have several ships that are not moving or not on the correct itinerary, so they have clearly cancelled some. A notice on the site yesterday (gone today) said the port site in Budapest had moved to a different site there (presumably due to water level?) and that the Authentic Danube cruise leaving Vienna Aug 5 would be on River Duchess instead of River Princess. River Princess is stuck upstream in Regensberg, and it looks like they may be doing a ship swap there with River Duchess. Wish they were more honest/transparent about the situation, but I am figuring it out slowly using their ship positions

I've joined this board in preparation for our first cruise, in late October on Uniworld. I've figured out that they post these notices of changes on their Port Locations page, which I'm bookmarking at https://www.uniworld.com/us/port-locations , and indeed notices that were there yesterday are gone today.

• Thanks 1

Pfelling gauge at 240cm.

On 8/8/2022 at 5:42 PM, Jangermat said:

we dock at Komárno and bus to Budapest - we've been told it takes about an hour and we're hoping for a scenic drive

That sounds alright. Bus Komárno to Budapest seems to be a regular alternative in low water to sailing. Hope the drive was pleasant and you have enjoyed (or are still doing so) Budapest.

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Pfelling gauge at 240cm.

That sounds alright. Bus Komárno to Budapest seems to be a regular alternative in low water to sailing. Hope the drive was pleasant and you have enjoyed (or are still doing so) Budapest.

notamermaid

Komarno has a large dock and area where passengers can easily transfer to coaches.    It is rural area which IMHO is NOT a scenic area or drive around there.   We did the reverse trip to Vienna and the drive was very boring. 

Edited by gentlemancruiser
  • Like 1

Hallo,

I came back from a Danube trip on the 29 th of July.

The ship, the  Arosa Flora was supposed to go from Engelhartszell (Passau) to the cataracts (Iron Gate) and back on the Danube in 12 days.

It started on July 17th, three days later we were told in Budapest that we unfortunately couldn’t continue because of the “extremely low water levels on sections of the Danube”, so we had to turn around and we would be going back for the next 9 days.

The new ports of call were then Komarom, Bratislava (2 nights), Hainburg, Krems, Melk and Linz (2 nights), we almost only sailed at night.

This was very disappointing. I didn't want to go there and I also wanted to travel on the Danube during the day as planned in the original plan.

Arosa has at least two other ships doing Passau to Budapest only, when we have been in Komaron, one of these was also in Komaron, the guest were probably driven to Budapest by bus. 

And right now the Arosa Bella is in Komaron instead of Budapest. 

The next cruise with the Arosa Flora (started at the 29 th July) was supposed to go all the way down to the delta, a two weeks trip. They made it till Mohacs (south of Budapest) on day 3 or 4, and then turned around and now they are doing about the same itinerary as we did. 

The Arosa Flora is a narrow ship, specially selected for these routes.

Tipps for Komaron, if you have time there are some things to see. The City south of the river is in Hungary,

and not so interesting, except a huge Tesco supermarket, but there is the interesting Fort Monostor, about 2km (easy) walk just along the river. The city north is Slovakia (Euro) and the old city is very nice for a short visit, nice buildings, a market place and Europa place. And there is also a Fort, there are lots of Fort in this area. 

• Thanks 1

Update:

Viking Egil, left Budapest this past Saturday, destined for Regensburg for Friday.  Just learned on board this evening that we will get into Passau tomorrow Thursday and stay there Thursday and Friday night.  No debarkation at Regensburg due to low water levels.

This also means that the Nuremberg ship excursion and the Narrows boat tour have been cancelled.  We heard on board that no ships are leaving or going to Budapest - just buses!

15 minutes ago, travelcommons said:

This also means that the Nuremberg ship excursion and the Narrows boat tour have been cancelled. 

Thanks for reporting. If you have a minute, could you explain please what the Narrows boat tour is and where? I am just curious.

notamermaid

My husband and I will be on the August 28th sailing of the Amalea from Budapest to Vilshoffen.  We are flying in from SC (fingers crossed) two days early on airlines and from airports that are currently suffering staffing shortages and cancelations. I've been watching this thread closely and appreciate all the information provided by notamermaid and others. I am trying to be prepared for some dissappointments.  We've already decided to disembark a day early in Passau and head up to Prague for some independent touring. 

Hello and thanks to everyone for sharing their expertise on this thread, it seems to help many people. 

I am hoping to ask about the southern Danube as most of the information here seems to pertain to the northern section. 

I will be joining a scenic cruise from Budapest to Bucharest on the nineteenth of October, obviously that's a bit away and the situation can change but my question is - Does this southern leg experience the same issues with low water levels as the northern part of the river? 

I can't seem to find the information anywhere. 

Thanks in advance 

notamermaid asked earlier "what the Narrows boat tour is and where?" 

Here's the summary from Viking:

Weltenburg Abbey & the Danube Narrows
Regensburg, Germany

Visit a splendid abbey, founded in the 7th century, at a spectacularly scenic bend in the Danube Narrows. Join your guide for a drive to Kelheim, where you will board an excursion boat for a short cruise through the lovely Danube Narrows. This area of unsurpassed scenic beauty is where the river has cut a pass through the mountains, carving the narrowest and steepest section of the river. Cruise past the white cliffs, then disembark for a visit to Weltenburg Abbey, one of Germany’s oldest monasteries. The ornate abbey features a gilded altar, elegant marble interior and masterful paintings of biblical scenes. Its famous brewery was founded in 1050, and beer has been brewed here ever since. The monastery brewery produces ten different brews, including its most recent “Anno 1050.” During your excursion, enjoy a local beer and an authentic German pretzel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Eofor said:

Hello and thanks to everyone for sharing their expertise on this thread, it seems to help many people. 

I am hoping to ask about the southern Danube as most of the information here seems to pertain to the northern section. 

I will be joining a scenic cruise from Budapest to Bucharest on the nineteenth of October, obviously that's a bit away and the situation can change but my question is - Does this southern leg experience the same issues with low water levels as the northern part of the river? 

I can't seem to find the information anywhere. 

Thanks in advance 

Hallo,

I just wrote about my experience with the southern leg, see post #316. 

2 hours ago, directionfinder said:

Hallo,

I just wrote about my experience with the southern leg, see post #316. 

Thank you! I obviously hadn't refreshed the page from last night before commenting.

That's rather concerning news as that would give us just one day before being turned around. May be time to invoke our cancellation clause. 

I'll keep an eye on the situation and ask again closer to the date.