First Time Suite-Tips

Robert_fromthe_South

19 hours ago, hampshirelad said:

I think Miami has totally given up and getting their UK guests to embrace the tipping culture. Our Cruises now tend to come with tips included in the price. When we add a bit more at the end we can then feel really generous !

Funny how experienced travelers take great pride in knowing local customs and cultures and try their best to take part in them……unless it costs them a bit! 

this is said fully aware many of our UK travelers tip and many US people stiff their waitstaff. 

we all can come up with excuses And share them here since it’s pretty much anonymous. Try this discussion on your Roll Call! 

den

22 hours ago, George C said:

I really disliked the balcony for celebrity suite on M class , it’s really narrow. Kind of weird on balcony size seems to change a lot depending on class, I understand that I’m M class they were a add on .

We are on S class, the Reflection.  The balcony looked lovely by the photos.  Am I right?

22 hours ago, George C said:

I really disliked the balcony for celebrity suite on M class , it’s really narrow. Kind of weird on balcony size seems to change a lot depending on class, I understand that I’m M class they were a add on .

Yes that is exactly the reason-  narrow balconies were added later to the CS on M-Class.  But the rest of the suite is very spacious and quite nice.

23 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I do have a specific question about the Luminae host.  I would prefer a table by the window for every meal.  We will be a table for two.  Has anyone tipped the Luminae host in connection with a specific table request?

We too like to have window seats and tables for two, but I would not insult the staff by tipping so I could get these. I also feel the other guests in Luminae would be quite upset if they thought I had ‘bought’ a guaranteed window seat, I would prefer to wait until one becomes available or take another table if I don’t want to wait. Again I’m British so a completely different culture to tipping. We always tip staff extra at the end of the cruise, table waiters and assistant waiters, stateroom attendants  and bar staff etc etc where we have enjoyed good service but I don’t feel obligated to do this and would never dream of tipping to get advantage over others. 

20 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

We too like to have window seats and tables for two, but I would not insult the staff by tipping so I could get these. I also feel the other guests in Luminae would be quite upset if they thought I had ‘bought’ a guaranteed window seat, I would prefer to wait until one becomes available or take another table if I don’t want to wait. Again I’m British so a completely different culture to tipping. We always tip staff extra at the end of the cruise, table waiters and assistant waiters, stateroom attendants  and bar staff etc etc where we have enjoyed good service but I don’t feel obligated to do this and would never dream of tipping to get advantage over others. 

I agree with you.  But you are referring to @Momma Renein post #19 not my answer to her.

47 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

I understand your reasoning.  However, many people tip for every drink, etc...  The staff needs those tips and appreciate by their continuing service. It is not an insult.  It is appreciated.  I've seen on the ship the behavior of the staff when they know they will be tipped.  It has been difficult for these people who need to send money back to their families.

7 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

I understand your reasoning.  However, many people tip for every drink, etc...  The staff needs those tips and appreciate by their continuing service. It is not an insult.  It is appreciated.  I've seen on the ship the behavior of the staff when they know they will be tipped.  It has been difficult for these people who need to send money back to their families.

As I said, completely different culture. We do tip for services in the U.K. restaurant staff, taxis, hairdressers etc etc, but only for good service, not before any service has been delivered. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We tip those who make our cruise extra special, our Butler, cabin steward, and Luminae staff. I hadn’t thought about early tipping being considered a bribe, but it just feels right to tip close to the end of the cruise. I try to think about what we would tip for room service delivery (Butler, every day, including specialty coffee), and I acknowledge it is difficult due to the prepaid gratuities. No crew member has ever made us feel that we should tip extra, but I know they have had a bad two years, so we tried to keep that in mind too. I wish there were a spreadsheet somewhere! 

• Like 1

We have stayed at a couple all-inclusive resorts recently where we normally tip at the end just like a cruise. However because of Covid staffing shortages, many people had to work in multiple venues and we started tipping at the point of service because we sometimes would not see the person again and wanted to ensure they got the gratuity. Just wanted to put it out there that we were not doing it to get something extra, just trying to do right by the staff that is stretched so thin. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 9:04 AM, TeachAloha said:

We have stayed at a couple all-inclusive resorts recently where we normally tip at the end just like a cruise. However because of Covid staffing shortages, many people had to work in multiple venues and we started tipping at the point of service because we sometimes would not see the person again and wanted to ensure they got the gratuity. Just wanted to put it out there that we were not doing it to get something extra, just trying to do right by the staff that is stretched so thin. 

The flip side of that is that we tipped the person probably more than necessary and then the person disappeared.  We now tip a smaller amount and found it worked much better.  If I tip at the end, I may not see that person again.  Staff is frequently moved around.

On 2/1/2022 at 12:42 PM, Momma Rene said:

I do have a specific question about the Luminae host.  I would prefer a table by the window for every meal.  We will be a table for two.  Has anyone tipped the Luminae host in connection with a specific table request?

We usually book aqua class. About five years ago, we saw that a table for two by the window in Blu was always reserved for breakfast. There were 2 glasses of juice, a fruit plate & a couple of other items. Sometimes the couple would arrive while we were eating other times we would come & go the table stayed empty. I assumed these people gave a large tip upfront, but to me it seemed a little unfair.

On 2/4/2022 at 11:04 AM, TeachAloha said:

On our last cruise in January we had a wonderful waiter, junior waiter and head waiter, all of whom we planned on tipping extra at the end of the cruise. Well, the waiter disappeared on Wednesday  (they said he was promoted) and the junior waiter and head waiter later on in the week. No one would say where they were (we assumed they were contact traced). So we weren't able to tip for what had been excellent service. If we cruise again during Covid I think we'll be tipping much earlier in the cruise just in case.

1 hour ago, daydreamer16 said:

We usually book aqua class. About five years ago, we saw that a table for two by the window in Blu was always reserved for breakfast. There were 2 glasses of juice, a fruit plate & a couple of other items. Sometimes the couple would arrive while we were eating other times we would come & go the table stayed empty. I assumed these people gave a large tip upfront, but to me it seemed a little unfair.

It's also possible they were either frequent cruisers or B2B2B2B etc. cruisers who the crew had grown to know and liked. We sailed with a couple that fit that description and I know they often saved their favorite table for them (theirs was in the middle of the dining room).

• Like 1