Chef’s Table in the age of COVID

36 minutes ago, Sparhawk814 said:

I'm doing Chef's table on Mardi Gras for the 2/5 sailing. About how many people are in a seating (understand that it can vary based on interest)

We had 18 at our seating, but I've heard of it scaling up to 20-24 people. I think 24 is the max, but there's a lot of flexibility since it's offered on multiple nights on the MG versus just one night on most other ships.

31 minutes ago, mfrometa said:

Does anyone happen to have the menu for the Chef's table they had been on. Looking for a special surprise for my wife on our 10-12 year anniversary cruise.

BTW, it was real and it was spectacular!

chefs table menu.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roscoe13 said:

BTW, it was real and it was spectacular!

chefs table menu.jpeg

Thank you for this!  We are scheduled for the Chef's Table in February and looking forward to it.  We have only missed it on one cruise, this past Sept.   The sea bass was probably the best prepared I have ever eaten and looking toward to it/hoping for it this time again.  I understand they have eliminated the galley tour, though, which is sad but understandable.   Our experiences have always been approx. 14 people seated at each session, but I believe it depends on the demand. 

Happy cruising! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cruizin for a Bruizin said:

So instead of a long table, it was a large square? (just trying to picture this).

Sort of. It was the only Chef's Table I have ever been to, so I don't know how they usually do it. I just remember that the people across the table seemed really far away. 

I did not know the menus varied that much between ships.  I had thought there was a set main ingredient for each course and the chef could do what they wanted with it.  That was the case between Dream and Mardi Gras for me and appears to be the case with Liberty.  However the Valor menu is totally different.

Edited by MrMarc

1 minute ago, MrMarc said:

I did not know the menus varied that much between ships.  I had thought there was a set main ingredient for each course and the chef could do what they wanted with it.  However the Valor menu is totally different.

yes, I thought the same, but maybe it is different on different ships.

I think to be a true Chef's Table, the Chef has to put their twist on the ingredients.  I don't think they would appreciate having to introduce a menu that was not based on their taste and skill.  I would imagine it is one of the more enjoyable tasks for the head/executive chef on a ship  as it may be the only thing they can really "play" with and really practice the art of being a chef.  French onion soup for 1,500 probably doesn't really provide the same satisfaction.

Not to hijack and apologies to the OP but would Chef's table be fun solo?  I am traveling with a group, but no one else in the group are really "foodies" and would appreciate Chef's table, however I most certainly am and really want to try it...but I do imagine it all couples?  Would going solo take away from the experience?  TIA

16 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

Not to hijack and apologies to the OP but would Chef's table be fun solo?  I am traveling with a group, but no one else in the group are really "foodies" and would appreciate Chef's table, however I most certainly am and really want to try it...but I do imagine it all couples?  Would going solo take away from the experience?  TIA

I go solo every time and have had a great time every time.  Yes, it's mostly couples of some type, but it doesn't matter.  If nothing else, the food starts the conversations.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

My wife and I are going to the Chef's table on the Legend May 1st cruise and would love a solo in our group. Not likely you will be on our cruise, but the invite stands.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I did not know the menus varied that much between ships.  I had thought there was a set main ingredient for each course and the chef could do what they wanted with it.  That was the case between Dream and Mardi Gras for me and appears to be the case with Liberty.  However the Valor menu is totally different.

The Valor menu is almost identical to my first time doing Chef's Table on that ship back in 2019, so I don't think it varies much on that ship/itinerary. It's also one of the cheaper Chef's Table options at only $75pp versus $95pp on the majority of the other ships.

5 minutes ago, mfrometa said:

My wife and I are going to the Chef's table on the Legend May 1st cruise and would love a solo in our group. Not likely you will be on our cruise, but the invite stands.

Not the right cruise...but so sweet of you!

30 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

I did the Chef's Table solo a couple of months ago on the Mardi Gras. Totally acceptable, and you get the exact same experience as everyone else. Just be prepared to endure a couple of hours or more for the experience. I did have to sneak out for a couple of minutes to use the restroom at one point.

• Like 2