Mini live from Grand Princess Sea of Cortez, February 3, return from Travis

jondfk

9 hours ago, jondfk said:

Here are the final day patter and menus.  I’ll been working on a looong summary post with I’ll add once we disembark.  

@jondfk - Thank you SO much for doing this! I'm taking this cruise on February 28th, and it's my first ever Princess cruise and my first ever solo cruise, so it's great to get a little insider information ahead of time! Many hugs and thank yous to you!!!

Overall impressions

First, realize we stepped aboard carrying the demons of our last cruise.  Some of these we were quite aware of, others presented themselves as we started to do familiar things which triggered anxious memories. 

Overall, we share quite positive memories of the voyage.  Not everything was perfect but our impressions improved with the passing days, mostly as staff begin to recognize your preferences, I had forgotten how nice it was to have little things remembered and executed well.

Suite breakfast remains the best suite perk, something to linger over and enjoy if your so entitled.  Club class was little changed, an excellent host in Marco though again service improved throughout as the service team learned preferences and the like.  The additional entree was offered at dinner only, and was prepared in the galley, frankly this led to more consistency and better delivery in my opinion.

Elsewhere service was generally attentive, bar waiters either find customers or are given a bucket to clean.  As a group they prefer the former so are always looking for someone to serve.  It’s a harder life than normal at the moment since they rarely get off the ship in any port of call, imagine an 8 month contract with few hours off the ship, hard.  Many who joined in August are coming to the end of their contracts in March / April and are quite eager to see home.

Entertainment is of course quite subjective, we didn’t really click with any of the artists (we typically find a favorite early and follow him or her day to day).  This trip, just no resonance.

There’s really no way to describe sailing at 40% capacity.  MDR had it’s challenges for those trying DMW for the first time, but elsewhere there just weren’t crowds.  Want a table in the conservatory, just go there, something always availability.  Want a space in the Sanctuary, no need to break your neck racing up at boarding.  A table in Crooners, sure.  Prefer Wheelhouse, no problem.  This could be really easy to get used to.

Fellow passengers were generally respectful.  Mask protocols where generally well adhered to though our N95s were the exception not the rule.  One small group of guys made a visible show of parading up and down interior promenade deck sans masks.  Staff challenged them but the second the encounter ended off came the masks.  Only once a guy entered my elevator without a mask, I stepped off saying nothing (enforcement isn’t my job) I did chuckle when the elevator stopped at each of the next 2 floors leaving me staring at him as I took the stairs.  I know some folks don’t like the rules but I don’t understand signing up for something that has rules with a plan not to follow them.  Enough on that.

We enjoyed our meal at Crown Grill though it wasn’t to past standards.  We very much enjoyed Sabatini’s though as ever they simply serve too much food, not as bad though as the days when they loaded the table with items no one requested.

The medallion app worked flawlessly for us though we know this isn’t true for all (or maybe even most?).  It was truly amazing to order a cocktail and see the bartender across the room start the process.  The only glitch we had was when an IC waitress chased me down to deliver a hot chocolate I hadn’t ordered.

There are the typical challenges in the wine list where most of the wines by the glass simply aren’t available.  Some will blame “restart”, “supply chain”, or “Covid” but the reality is this was usual in the old days and doesn’t seem either better or worse.  It does create havoc for the app though as you can place orders for items which are out of stock which creates work and disappointment.

Disembarkation, Los Angeles is using facial recognition to pull up passports who’s worked flawlessly for us and very much expedited the usual process.  40% load didn’t hurt!

Overall a lovely cruise which returned to the planned port on the planned day.  Something positive to help bury the memories of Travis.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, jondfk said:

We enjoyed our meal at Crown Grill though it wasn’t to past standards.  We very much enjoyed Sabatini’s though as ever they simply serve too much food, not as bad though as the days when they loaded the table with items no one requested.

Thanks for your comments. I thought my steak in the Crown Grill was tasteless in December. I didn't say anything as service was amazing.

I appreciated your live thread!

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Thanks for your comments. I thought my steak in the Crown Grill was tasteless in December. I didn't say anything as service was amazing.

I appreciated your live thread!

On the Grand Jan 19th Hawaii cruise I found that the steak I got in the Crown grill was more something one would expect from Sizzler, than from the Crown Grill.

Edited by smbt1

5 minutes ago, smbt1 said:

On the Grand Jan 19th Hawaii cruise I found that the steak I got in the Crown grill was more something one would expect from Sizzler, than from the Crown Grill.

Well I haven't been to a Sizzler for 30 years but I think we can all agree that the quality of beef has gone down in Crown Grill. I will have to take your word on the comparisons.

1 minute ago, Coral said:

Well I haven't been to a Sizzler for 30 years but I think we can all agree that the quality of beef has gone down in Crown Grill. I will have to take your word on the comparisons.

It been about 20 years for me, but I think you got the point.   Certainly not a high end steak house Rib Eye.

I mean, I would hardly object if the Crown Grill wanted to riff Malibu Chicken (the original recipe, not the abominations with the chopped-and-formed chicken patty). Also, I’m suspicious of anyone who doesn’t enjoy Sizzler cheesy toast. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 4:49 AM, jondfk said:

I’ll post the menus everyday but I’m afraid it’ll be on you to do the actual reading, so far, there hasn’t been a particular theme for any of the first 4 night.  Prime Rib was night 3, and as I wrote, was exceptional.

I’ll ask again today after folks go ashore in La Paz.  For reasons I don’t understand Pax Services has been slammed this cruise.

What time were people able to get off the ship in La Paz. We will be on the 2/28 Grand Princess cruise and we have reserved an off ship excursion at 8:00 am. The ship shows it will dock at 7 am and we need to take a cab or uber for a 30 minute drive to the Marina. Think it will work? Really appreciate any feedback anyone could give.

11 hours ago, gvre said:

What time were people able to get off the ship in La Paz. We will be on the 2/28 Grand Princess cruise and we have reserved an off ship excursion at 8:00 am. The ship shows it will dock at 7 am and we need to take a cab or uber for a 30 minute drive to the Marina. Think it will work? Really appreciate any feedback anyone could give.

I don't recall the exact time when clearance to go ashore was given, but the ship was along side the pier well before 7am, the clear to go ashore came more or less at the scheduled hour.  

50 minutes ago, jondfk said:

I don't recall the exact time when clearance to go ashore was given, but the ship was along side the pier well before 7am, the clear to go ashore came more or less at the scheduled hour.  

Good to know. Did you see any Ubers or Taxi's in the area? We have to make our way to the Marina in town to meet our Whale Shark tour that is scheduled for 8 am. Thanks for the reply...we are very excited for this cruise!

Edited by gvre

4 hours ago, gvre said:

Good to know. Did you see any Ubers or Taxi's in the area? We have to make our way to the Marina in town to meet our Whale Shark tour that is scheduled for 8 am. Thanks for the reply...we are very excited for this cruise!

The pier, which is an industrial one, is quite remote.  Princess ran a shuttle to town, we didn't go in this cruise, in the past we have (using the shuttle).  There were a handful of taxis but it's easy to imagine the demand exceeding the supply.  Sorry I can't provide a more confident answer on this point.