Mini live from Grand Princess Sea of Cortez, February 3, return from Travis

jondfk

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

Enjoy! I love their French Toast or Eggs Benedict with a side of crispy bacon, OJ and a cappuccino. Yum! 

IMG_8703.jpeg

IMG_8665.jpeg

Best part of Crown Grill breakfast - BERRIES!  

Sabatini’s still not open since midway through last sailing. Told yesterday that it may open in 3 days.  

• Thanks 1

I'm curious to know how the weather is day 1 at sea and also in Cabo, La Paz and Loreto. Is it warm enough for the beach/shorts or cooler? I'm doing this later in the month and it will help me pack. Lol I'm also curious to hear about excursions taken in the ports and if anyone does one in the water snorkeling if wetsuits are provided. I have booked a couple of excursions and I'm worried about the cold. Thanks so much!

9 hours ago, back to the islands said:

I'm curious to know how the weather is day 1 at sea and also in Cabo, La Paz and Loreto. Is it warm enough for the beach/shorts or cooler? I'm doing this later in the month and it will help me pack. Lol I'm also curious to hear about excursions taken in the ports and if anyone does one in the water snorkeling if wetsuits are provided. I have booked a couple of excursions and I'm worried about the cold. Thanks so much!

Just pulling into Cabo noontime today.  First sea day was bright, but too cool for DW to wear shorts yet.  Weather forecast for Cabo is an unseasonably cool 70, I’ll report the feel of it as well as the subsequent ports in future posts.

I won’t be able to report on any excursions, we’re not those sorts, but will report any second hand reports I hear.

• Like 2

Some other random observations and reports.

Pax count was reported by the captain as 1330 which is about 100 higher than folks on the 1/19 Hawaii indicated.  There are more than 100 b2b ers, it seems nearly everyone we meet either was on the Hawaii prior OR is staying aboard for the one following, sigh.

Guest services indicates the filling sailing is booked to 1600, this figure was delivered without much confidence, I’ll as again in a few days.

Portions in the MDR have most certainly shrunk, most notably for the desserts which seem to be consistently about 1/2 to 2/3 of former.  To some extent this is fine, we used to share one and we’re often torn between which one, now just order the top 2.

Another dining note, don’t expect accuracy in the menus, especially sides and vegetables will be whatever is available or about to spoil.  If you have allergies or strong preferences be very clear or risk disappointment.

Finally, another loss to the circumstances is tableside shaken martini’s  in Crooners, everything is shaken behind the bar.  No pomp and circumstance at delivery, pity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, jwattle said:

That is  about your Crooner martinis 😞

such a little thing, but I really miss it 😢 doesn’t change the flavor though and they do come a bit faster without the whoopla 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2022 at 4:54 PM, HBCcruiser said:

Are they able to tell you why they stopped this? 

We were on the Grand's Jan. 19 sailing to Hawaii and I was disappointed that there was no embarkation lunch.  I asked and the answer I got was that due to passengers getting tested at the pier, they felt that there wouldn't be enough people onboard during lunch time to go to the dining room.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CruzinNoony said:

We were on the Grand's Jan. 19 sailing to Hawaii and I was disappointed that there was no embarkation lunch.  I asked and the answer I got was that due to passengers getting tested at the pier, they felt that there wouldn't be enough people onboard during lunch time to go to the dining room.  

I was on the 1/19 sailing but could never find out the answer. I’m also on this sailing.  No testing at pier. So, what’s the excuse now?

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 8:52 AM, Desert Cruisers said:

Best part of Crown Grill breakfast - BERRIES!  

Sabatini’s still not open since midway through last sailing. Told yesterday that it may open in 3 days.  

That’s a bummer about Sabatini‘s not being open. I know that we are in different times but when you book a cruise you expect things that are advertised to be available.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Desert Cruisers said:

Sabatini’s opening tonight. 

And we’re booked for the second formal on Friday. . .

Crown Grill last night, very nice as always.  MDR lunch today, Parmesan chicken, really excellent.

Arrived in Cabo on time at 1:00 pm, by 2:00 pm they called open tender.  That’s what sailing at <50% capacity gets you.  Last time we did this trip, on Royal, 2019 they didn’t call open tender until nearly 5:00 pm.  Stern warning, no tender service from 11:00 pm until 7:00 tomorrow - not a factor for us those days are long gone.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, back to the islands said:

We're in Cabo today and went whale watching on the "speed boat".. basically like a zodiac. The weather on the water was warm enough that a tshirt sufficed for me. I did not wear shorts,  but others did and I didn't hear anyone complaining that they were cold even when they were going fast. We are skipping any in- water activities on this trip since this was reported as the coldest time of the year for water temp and we don't do cold.

• Like 5

I'm a bit bummed with the "dine my way" process. We got a specialty dinner comped with our cruise,  but there are no reservation spots available for any of the restaurants (including MDR) for the rest of the cruise. The only option is to show up at the restaurant and hope there's a no-show. It's only gonna get worse as cruising gets closer to full capacity

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OccasionalSanta said:

I'm a bit bummed with the "dine my way" process. We got a specialty dinner comped with our cruise,  but there are no reservation spots available for any of the restaurants (including MDR) for the rest of the cruise. The only option is to show up at the restaurant and hope there's a no-show. It's only gonna get worse as cruising gets closer to full capacity

That shouldn’t have anything to do with the dine my way process.  I’m sure you’ve probably talked to the person in charge already. That’s awful.

We did the Sunset Sail yesterday here in Cabo, it was a fantastic time. I saw the “green flash” for the first time as the sun went below the horizon.  We had an added bonus of being with the whales too. With the overnight in Cabo, there were fireworks on the shore. Not sure what the celebration was.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, OccasionalSanta said:

I quite agree with your concerns about Dine my Way we’ve met numerous people in exactly the situation you describe.  On the other hand, one dining room is fully closed, being used for crew only, “normal” would have the crew back to their usual dining room and the Michelangelo back to passenger use which would undoubtedly help.  Meanwhile, if going without a confirmed time, I suggest the Botticelli dining room (deck 6 aft)  since many people don’t even know it exists or how to get there.

Waking up to day 2 in Cabo.  A comment on dinner last night, it was prime rib day, I always order it and am frequently disappointed (not only on ship, in general) but yesterday was perhaps the best prime rib I’ve ever eaten, perfectly cooked medium minus, well seasoned, tender, splendid.  They even had real horseradish not the creamy mayonnaise stuff that usually comes with.  Heaven.

here are the day 4 patter and dinner menu (no lunch in MDR as it’s a port day).

2060CAC6-D145-468C-BF59-F79FA32A7A3E.jpeg

69CBBAE9-14E2-4F6C-BE30-B4704D8ADCC9.jpeg

F596A8B9-7752-4676-A06B-65F58E6CFFCD.jpeg

5A523F95-7571-457A-A39D-4164269E3AC8.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SLC1954 said:

We did the Sunset Sail yesterday here in Cabo, it was a fantastic time. I saw the “green flash” for the first time as the sun went below the horizon.  We had an added bonus of being with the whales too. With the overnight in Cabo, there were fireworks on the shore. Not sure what the celebration was.

I have already booked my excursions, but might want to change to this instead of the luxury sail and snorkel. The water is going to be cold & I don't think they provide wetsuits AND everyone always says the snorkeling on the Pacific coast of Mexico isn't that good. I have seen the green flash 3 x, twice near Hawaii and in the south Caribbean once. That is awesome! It's quick! Thanks to you, @OccasionalSanta, and @jondfkfor the information. Keep it coming! I'm hoping this cruise will be as much fun as my Christmas one was! How is the music? Is there a good dance band for sail away, deck parties, etc? Is the trio a string trio? I like some old rock, motown, & crooner music, too. Princess usually gets this right.

4 hours ago, jondfk said:

I quite agree with your concerns about Dine my Way we’ve met numerous people in exactly the situation you describe.  On the other hand, one dining room is fully closed, being used for crew only, “normal” would have the crew back to their usual dining room and the Michelangelo back to passenger use which would undoubtedly help.  Meanwhile, if going without a confirmed time, I suggest the Botticelli dining room (deck 6 aft)  since many people don’t even know it exists or how to get there.

My concern is more about the specialty dining. I suspect a number of folks tend to book reservations and then no- show. 

There was a conversation (I think it was a different thread) about dining late (8:30 ish) and never having to wait for a table even without reservations because it's always slow at that time.  Yet there are no reservations available for those times either.

17 minutes ago, OccasionalSanta said:

My concern is more about the specialty dining. I suspect a number of folks tend to book reservations and then no- show. 

There was a conversation (I think it was a different thread) about dining late (8:30 ish) and never having to wait for a table even without reservations because it's always slow at that time.  Yet there are no reservations available for those times either.

If you haven't already done so, go speak with the head waiter in your dining room of choice.  He/she should help you.  We have been on 9 cruises since start up and we have always had the same table and same waitstaff for our cruises and this was accomplished through talking to the head waiter and not with the app.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, OccasionalSanta said:

Maybe, but when we ate a Crown Grill on Friday every single table was full at ~7:15.  By the time we finished about 1/3 had opened but at peak time, completely full.