Mini live from Grand Princess Sea of Cortez, February 3, return from Travis

jondfk

On a good note... for some at least... they are attempting to restart karaoke. It was supposed to happen last night, but there were technical problems. It was going to be held in the MUTS area and the singer would have to wear a mask while singing.  So not perfect but a step forward

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Maybe, but when we ate a Crown Grill on Friday every single table was full at ~7:15.  By the time we finished about 1/3 had opened but at peak time, completely full.

That's good news,  but the question is we're the 1/3 tables that were open when you left people who booked then didn't show? I checked on Friday and there were no reservations available. 

17 hours ago, OccasionalSanta said:

We're in Cabo today and went whale watching on the "speed boat".. basically like a zodiac. The weather on the water was warm enough that a tshirt sufficed for me. I did not wear shorts,  but others did and I didn't hear anyone complaining that they were cold even when they were going fast. We are skipping any in- water activities on this trip since this was reported as the coldest time of the year for water temp and we don't do cold.

Did you see a lot of whales on your tour??

34 minutes ago, CruzinNoony said:

Did you see a lot of whales on your tour??

We saw a couple of very active humpbacks. Female was slapping the water with her fin. Guide said it was a mating ritual. 

Also saw a couple gray whales. Guide says they only see them every 3-5 years. The grays were more mellow, just swimming along but one swam right next to the boat(submerged) and another dream directly under our boat. 

Note that we also saw several from the ship as we were pulling into Cabo

1 hour ago, OccasionalSanta said:

My concern is more about the specialty dining. I suspect a number of folks tend to book reservations and then no- show. 

There was a conversation (I think it was a different thread) about dining late (8:30 ish) and never having to wait for a table even without reservations because it's always slow at that time.  Yet there are no reservations available for those times either.

I have had problems with specialty dining before DMW.  I remember boarding early with the elite group and going straight to Crown Grill where I was told I could not have a reservation due to full the entire cruise.   

9 hours ago, jondfk said:

I quite agree with your concerns about Dine my Way we’ve met numerous people in exactly the situation you describe.  On the other hand, one dining room is fully closed, being used for crew only, “normal” would have the crew back to their usual dining room and the Michelangelo back to passenger use which would undoubtedly help.  Meanwhile, if going without a confirmed time, I suggest the Botticelli dining room (deck 6 aft)  since many people don’t even know it exists or how to get there.

We are eating in the Botticelli dining room. Not the ideal location for a pleasant meal. Lots of engine and propellor noise/ vibration.  Have had to move tables several times. We eat late - sitting down to dinner at 7:30-8 pm.  Even though there are plenty of unoccupied tables, the app will only allow for 8:20 or later reservations.  The real problem on this ship is that most passengers want to eat early and many (including us) will not share with strangers at the current time. 

As for specialty dining reservations, try Sabatini’s.  It just re-opened for dinner last night 2/5.  If not successful, ask for the equivalent value in OBC.

We have been on this ship since 1/19. Something’s just not right. I don’t know if it’s understaffing, training issues, lack of leadership, supply issues or a combo of issues, but it seems that it’s a very hit or miss experience.  

• Like 1

Either this voyage or the next to the Sea of Cortez...

Would someone summarize (at the end), what the meal themes were?

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Etc.  Italian, American, Prime Rib, etch.  I am trying to set up 3 nights at the Crown Grill over the 10 days.  I don't mind missing the meatloaf/turkey or Italian nights.

I know, over thinking this...Thanks

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Etc.  Italian, American, Prime Rib, etch.  I am trying to set up 3 nights at the Crown Grill over the 10 days.  I don't mind missing the meatloaf/turkey or Italian nights.

I think you need to look at the details on the menus being posted in this thread.

Most menus nowadays just have "Princess Dinner" as a title.

25 minutes ago, caribill said:

I think you need to look at the details on the menus being posted in this thread.

Most menus nowadays just have "Princess Dinner" as a title.

I have been doing exactly that...but was hoping for a quick fix.  Princess used to have "themed" nights.  Baked Alaska (last night was Americana with Turkey and Meatloaf).  Was hoping to plan specialty dinners ahead of the rush.  

There are many "items aka/dishes" missing.  On my October cruise, I never saw escargot, sorbets, and other favorites.  Not to worry, I will not go hungry.  Thanks.

Todays observation.  Horizon Court is operating differently from my memory (recognize DW refuses to use the buffet for anything more than a cake or cookie, so I am perhaps not the best observer)

I walk through a few times a day doing my laps.  In the past, except at peak, peak times one side was always closed even on very full sailings.  I noticed the last few days that both sides are mostly open, even with our limited pax count.  Sure one closes early for the transition from breakfast to lunch, but mostly both sides are open.

Today is La Paz, here are the day 5 patters and menu.

3666BA26-F5A5-4883-8B9E-D810D29D4457.jpeg

90D17BA1-9D72-4AE5-9886-5C557D1177FC.jpeg

3BF74E46-FE78-4A7A-BA4E-B9886DD32207.jpeg

5F91C0EA-9CB5-4897-97DC-BBB80BA3522E.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

I’ll post the menus everyday but I’m afraid it’ll be on you to do the actual reading, so far, there hasn’t been a particular theme for any of the first 4 night.  Prime Rib was night 3, and as I wrote, was exceptional.

6 hours ago, khaleesi921 said:

Any update of the pax count for the next sailing? 

I’ll ask again today after folks go ashore in La Paz.  For reasons I don’t understand Pax Services has been slammed this cruise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, khaleesi921 said:

Okay, a second trip to the desk received a more confident sounding “1600”.  Prior figure given was 1700 so that probably gives you a general sense, if I hear anything different, I’ll report again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, OccasionalSanta said:

That's good news,  but the question is we're the 1/3 tables that were open when you left people who booked then didn't show? I checked on Friday and there were no reservations available. 

There’s no way to know, my observation (and as such, an opinion, nothing more) is that folks don’t seem to “linger” after they’ve eaten, wither in CG or the MDR.  Folks seem to get in, get fed and get out.  It may be that part of the DMW challenge is how much time is allocated to each and every reservation, as I say, and observation and opinion, nothing more.  

Undoubtedly there are no shows, and like toilet paper hoarders, the more scarce something is perceived to be the more likely people will grab a second, third and fourth option “just to be sure” it’s easy to imagine folks booking a late CG time then going on the wait list for the MDR and taking which ever comes through first.  Bad behavior for the group as a whole, but understandable from an individual perspective.  

15 hours ago, khaleesi921 said:

I'm on the next sailing on 2/28, and my Princess person said that they were just about at their set capacity of 65%, so that would be 1,690 passengers out of their passenger capacity of 2,600. 🙂

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

jondfk,  thanks for sharing your cruise with us.  I have a question for you.  Why is Grand your Fav ship?

Probably has something to do with familiarity, we’ve sailed her ~10x.  Beyond that though, we like the absence of Riviera deck full of cabins and people that her Grand class sisters have.  Also, love Alfredo’s which I agree is better on Royal class ships but other Grand class sisters we’ve sailed don’t have it at all.

Edited by jondfk
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Probably has something to do with familiarity, we’ve sailed her ~10x.  Beyond that though, we like the absence of Riviera deck full of cabins and people that her Grand class sisters have.  Also, love Alfredo’s which I agree is better on Royal class ships but other Grand class sisters we’ve sailed don’t have it at all.

Thank you for getting back with me.  I sailed Grand Princess to Cabo last October.  I thought she was great.  I loved Alfredo's too.  My next ship in Oct will be Enchanted; I have not yet sailed on a Royal Class ship.  Looking forward to it.

On 2/6/2022 at 7:42 AM, jondfk said:

I quite agree with your concerns about Dine my Way we’ve met numerous people in exactly the situation you describe.  On the other hand, one dining room is fully closed, being used for crew only, “normal” would have the crew back to their usual dining room and the Michelangelo back to passenger use which would undoubtedly help.  Meanwhile, if going without a confirmed time, I suggest the Botticelli dining room (deck 6 aft)  since many people don’t even know it exists or how to get there.

When I was on the Grand over Christmas - we always dinned in Botticelli for dinner. We had Jayson and Mark as waiters and they were excellent! Some of the best I have had on Princess. They should be on for a few more months.

On 2/6/2022 at 11:38 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I have been doing exactly that...but was hoping for a quick fix.  Princess used to have "themed" nights.  Baked Alaska (last night was Americana with Turkey and Meatloaf).  Was hoping to plan specialty dinners ahead of the rush.  

There are many "items aka/dishes" missing.  On my October cruise, I never saw escargot, sorbets, and other favorites.  Not to worry, I will not go hungry.  Thanks.

There was Escargot on the Jan 19 Hawaii cruise, as well as sorbets for dessert.

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2022 at 11:44 AM, CruzinNoony said:

If you haven't already done so, go speak with the head waiter in your dining room of choice.  He/she should help you.  We have been on 9 cruises since start up and we have always had the same table and same waitstaff for our cruises and this was accomplished through talking to the head waiter and not with the app.

Good suggestion.  I was able to catch the headwaiter at Sabatini's yesterday before they opened. He was able to find me an opening tonight. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SLC1954 said:

406865F3-D9F6-414D-A6CB-0383BCCF0263.thumb.jpeg.0a924494b1e7c297f3cf99f4c28f236c.jpegSunrise, sailing into Loreto this morning.

And what a lovely little town it is too.  Impresses me every time we come here.

Light lunch at Mi Loreto, not special food wise, but wow what service!