Navigator Questions

I have some Navigator and Port of LA questions. I will be sailing 3/18.

1. Are you allowed to walk to the port? Staying at a really close hotel.

2. Are there any places to purchase bottles of wine close to the port?

3. Do they sit you at large tables in MDR? Or only with people in your own party?

4. Is it hard to get an Uber or taxi on disembarkation day? Need to get to Santa Ana Amtrak.

1 hour ago, Rodoverer said:

3. Do they sit you at large tables in MDR? Or only with people in your own party?

4. Is it hard to get an Uber or taxi on disembarkation day? Need to get to Santa Ana Amtrak.

Yes you can walk to the port, cross over at 1st, that takes you into the Battle Ship Iowa parking lot and into the terminal area. 

Several Liquor stores on Gaffey street between 1st and 6th

MDR is your party only. Plenty of two tops on deck 3, lots of two people at four tops on deck 4

Taxis lined up outside, uber only a minute or so wait.  About 45 miles to Santa Ana.

there is a Amtrak station a mile or so from the port.

38 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

MDR is your party only. Plenty of two tops on deck 3, lots of two people at four tops on deck 4

Not necessarily.  We did a B3B last month (7-4-3 days), and on the second leg they seated us at an 8-top with two individual solo cruisers.

We changed tables before we even sat down b/c my friend is in a wheelchair and the logistics of fitting around the large table with a wheelchair with social distancing were complicated.  But they DID initially seat us at a shared table.

Edited by brillohead

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Californian said:

More questions:

What time are the cabins usually open on the Monday sailings?

Is it ok to go to the Library Card room on Deck 7 to read, use the computers and to wait for cabins to open?

Usually 2pm.

3 hours ago, Californian said:

More questions:

What time are the cabins usually open on the Monday sailings?

Is it ok to go to the Library Card room on Deck 7 to read, use the computers and to wait for cabins to open?

You can go relax anywhere you want to until cabins are open around 1:30-2:00pm.

Can anyone share how tendering into Catalina went?  Did you have to get tickets and how quickly it pretty much opened up- not sure how far out to sea the Navigator has to anchor and then the time to the pier?  We know there will probably be a lot more passengers on our voyage as we go in a few weeks over spring break, but any insight is super appreciated.  I know those with excursions will get off first, we have that for 2 of our family but the other 2 of us were just going to watch :0)  We're too senior for the more dare devil stuff but enjoy watching our grandson.  Hoping we can get off before he's too far done on the course.

17 minutes ago, T-2 said:

Can anyone share how tendering into Catalina went?  Did you have to get tickets and how quickly it pretty much opened up- not sure how far out to sea the Navigator has to anchor and then the time to the pier?  We know there will probably be a lot more passengers on our voyage as we go in a few weeks over spring break, but any insight is super appreciated.  I know those with excursions will get off first, we have that for 2 of our family but the other 2 of us were just going to watch :0)  We're too senior for the more dare devil stuff but enjoy watching our grandson.  Hoping we can get off before he's too far done on the course.

About a ten minute boat ride in the tender. Only 600 on our cruise and no tender tickets needed. they run two tenders at a time. Ship a mile or so off shore. ... FYI... if going to Ensenada pay the $4 round trip bus trip to be dropped off in town. If you walk down the side walk and take to bridge over to the area with the flag it has turned into a S..T hole. 

IMG_5376.thumb.jpeg.b66f4517e829d83f304cc0678a06db7a.jpeg

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 1

The actual travel time is minimal, but when we were going ashore, we had to wait for a tender to come, then we had to wait for it to unload, then we had to get onto it, then we had to wait for them to try to fill up the tender, then we had to wait for them to tie up on the other end before they let us off.  You may want to plan on a total of 45 minutes for the process.

Also worth noting, the tender is a 2-story boat, and you MUST be able to navigate the ladder between levels (it's like an extremely steep staircase).  From the ship to the tender the upper level is used, and from the tender to the dock/pier the lower level is used.  

The upper level has hard benches outdoors with a roof overhead, and the lower level is enclosed with upholstered seating.  

On 2/8/2022 at 7:27 PM, Rodoverer said:

As for #4, I took an Uber from the Intermodal station in Anaheim (about the same distance as the Santa Ana stop) and it was only around $35. Definitely worth it compared with the bus/train odyssey if you tried to take public transit from the port to the station in Santa Ana. On the return, Uber pickup was easy, it's right in front of the customs exit. I'm not aware of any Amtrak stations closer to the port, Santa Ana is about 30 miles. I personally would not bother with going to Union Station if your ultimate goal is southern Orange County/San Diego.

That never occurred to me, that the island would be using their own tenders rather than the ships.  No problem with the stairs thankfully but helpful to know they can't just put as many in the water as they want.  With the ships having more passengers over spring break I will be much more alert if we have to pick up tender tickets as the process won't be near as quick.  Thanks so much for the heads up!!!

• Like 1