Private Car Transfer from Airport to Southampton

margord

Does any one have a suggestion for a private car transport from Heathrow Airport to Southampton.  We have always used Smiths for Airports and just found out they closed as of December 2021.  I have no idea of another one o use.

Marilee

23 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

With the caveat that it's been several years since we used them, but certainly would again:

Blackberrycars

https://www.blackberrycars.com/

See also the thread pinned at the top of this forum, devoted to this very same subject of transfers between London and Southampton.  🙂 

Same recommendation here.  Have used Blackberry Cars on more than one occasion and have them booked now for Southampton to a Heathrow hotel next month.  You *might* find better rates but doubt you can get better service!

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone.  I made a reservation with Blackberry Cars.  I am really sad that Smiths for Airports stopped running.  They were always my go to company.  Hopefully Blackberry Cars will be equally as good.  I do appreciate all your help.

Marilee

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/5/2022 at 2:22 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Same recommendation here.  Have used Blackberry Cars on more than one occasion and have them booked now for Southampton to a Heathrow hotel next month.  You *might* find better rates but doubt you can get better service!

This is the first time we will be using a private car transfer. Can you give me a general idea of how much to tip the driver? We are using Blackberry cars from Heathrow to Southampton in July. TIA!

Hmmm...I guess it depends on how helpful he/she may have been with luggage or how friendly they were. I like Blackberry because you can fully pay ahead of time. Then you only need to deal with the amount of the tip. I think I would probably go with 20 or 30 pounds...perhaps others will chime in.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I think I would probably go with 20 or 30 pounds...perhaps others will chime in.

If you tip the driver £30, he'll probably think that his birthday and Christmas have both come at once! And he may also silently think what a mug you are for handing over so much unnecessary cash.

£5 is more like it - but only if the driver has been helpful and has actually earned it by going above and beyond. There is no need to tip anyone for just doing their job adequately, as they will already be being paid adequately for that.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, irisbax3 said:

This is the first time we will be using a private car transfer. Can you give me a general idea of how much to tip the driver? We are using Blackberry cars from Heathrow to Southampton in July. TIA!

In the UK & Europe, wages are subject to a legal minimum rate - so drivers, waiting staff, etc get decent wages.

Tips should be earned - they're the jelly on the recipient's bread and butter.

Some Brits don't tip to anyone, as a matter of (their) principle.

The rest of us tip according to the standard of service that we receive - for a transfer driver that's things like  promptness, condition & cleanliness of the car & driver, help with luggage, a smooth & safe drive, and a generally friendly & helpful attitude.

For Heathrow to Southampton - about 65 miles, 75 minutes without delays, fare nowadays something a little north of £100, we usually give £5. But that's just us, there's no right or wrong - and if we ever had a sub-standard experience it'd be zilch

Unless you can perfect a British accent your driver will be hoping for more - £10 from Americans will keep him/her happy.

£20 (ie 18% to 20%) is way too much for most, and I concur with G.  about anyone who gives £30

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Hmmm...I guess it depends on how helpful he/she may have been with luggage or how friendly they were. I like Blackberry because you can fully pay ahead of time. Then you only need to deal with the amount of the tip. I think I would probably go with 20 or 30 pounds...perhaps others will chime in.

£20 or £30 !

Way, way too much, as others have said. 

Why would  you even think of such a large figure ?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, wowzz said:

£20 or £30 !

Way, way too much, as others have said. 

Why would  you even think of such a large figure ?

I guess maybe it's just my nature to be generous.  Everyone is welcome to their own opinions...although it seems they are less and less welcome here on CC.

18 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

...perhaps others will chime in.

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Everyone is welcome to their own opinions...although it seems they are less and less welcome here on CC.

You invited others' opinions, and you got them. And if you give £30 as a tip, the recipient will also have an opinion about it, although it may not be one that they voice, or one that is welcome to you.

4 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I guess maybe it's just my nature to be generous.  Everyone is welcome to their own opinions...although it seems they are less and less welcome here on CC.

Hi Rick,

The transfer fare will be around or above £100.

So a £20 tip would be 18 - 20% - which I'm aware is the sort of tip which would normal in a Tennessee restaurant , and I guess (never needed one) a private transfer driver in the US.

But for the reasons explained, the USA is the odd-man-out, staff in the US rely more on tips to make up their wages and tips are significantly lower in Europe and most of the world, where 10% is considered generous.

I used to drive coaches in Southampton, including cruise transfers & tours - always glad to see Americans boarding my coach $$$

Diff'rent place, diff'rent strokes.

So don't take umbrage at being corrected, but its probably best not to advise American-level tips outside the US. 😉

Regards

JB 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

As a "fellow American," I don't think you should take umbrage at the information on tipping passed along here by our helpful U.K. colleagues in this forum.  They have merely explained the very different cultural norms on tipping in the U.K. and tipping in the U.S.A.  We are one of a few countries that does not pay a living wage to far too many workers, who must rely on tips to supplement their meager incomes.  As others have explained, that is not true in the U.K. (or in many other countries), and no one should be offended by local experts explaining the local norms.  That's just the kind of information one hopes to find in the Ports of Call forums here on CC.

Like you, I am a generous tipper.  But it's very good for folks seeking advice to know what is generous and what might well be considered far too much.