NCL making masks optional as of March 1st -- Think Carnival might follow suit?

crazy4themouse

1 minute ago, MrMarc said:

I agree, the real question is which side will be laughed at.  I really believe it could be either.  I am pretty sure history will judge us as fools for either not doing enough or doing too much.  This is a situation that required commitment to one side or the other, and we have been unable to do that.  I guess that makes us all fools.

Only time will tell. But it’s pretty obvious the ones making all the rules don’t actually believe they work.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Patently absurd are the implications that Carnival isn't following science and instead choosing to trade human lives for dollars. At least in Florida, there was no compelling reason for Carnival to follow the CDC orders, other than they chose science.

When covid cases shot up with Delta, Carnival tightened the mask policy and again after Omicron came on the scene. With the data indicating that Omicron cases are dropping, it makes science sense that restrictions can be relaxed some - certainly not eliminated.

It took a few terminated cruises for NCL and Royal to join the party, and risk takers that they are, let them be on the bleeding edge. 

If/When Covid cases shoot up again, so will masks, because they help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Logical Song just started playing from my play list.  Funny how relevant those old songs are today.

8 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

Mask mandates has been the single item keeping the wife and I from cruising. If they drop the mandate, wife already has a cruise reserved for March.

Try NCL. If you are vaccinated, no masking. We booked one for the Caribbean in the fall and another to Bermuda out of Boston for the summer. Enjoy!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

Try NCL. If you are vaccinated, no masking. We booked one for the Caribbean in the fall and another to Bermuda out of Boston for the summer. Enjoy!

While we do love NCL, sadly here in So Cal, ship selection is small. There is only one NCL ship and CCL has three. CCL offers the 3 and 4 days cruises which we love to a quick getaway.

5 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

While we do love NCL, sadly here in So Cal, ship selection is small. There is only one NCL ship and CCL has three. CCL offers the 3 and 4 days cruises which we love to a quick getaway.

You are right on, NCL is very sequestered to the East Coast, at least for now. Maybe that will change soon!

• Like 1

Carnival's masking requirements were not the same as NCL and RCL during most of this pandemic. I believe NCL and RCL mask requirements were less stringent and I don't believe Carnival will blindly follow. I agree they seem to follow the science, not the herd. I have cruises scheduled on Carnival for March, April and May and I hope they keep mask restrictions in place until the science shows it is safe to ease them.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The science hasn't changed. The virus particles have always been able to go through the majority of the masks.  N95 masks offer protection to the person wearing them.  That won't change.  What will change is society's ability to accept that covid is here to stay and they can accept the risk of living without wearing a mask.  The people who don't want to accept the risk have the option of constantly wearing N95 masks.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

If I was so afraid of getting covid that being near someone else who wasn't wearing a mask sent me into a panic, I wouldn't be traveling at all.  I am sure Carnival's passenger counts will surge once they remove the mask mandates.  

I booked a cruise on Norwegian when they didn't have the mandate.  Then they changed their rules and made a mandate.  I was happy that they cancelled the cruise and I got a refund.  The only reason I am cruising right now is because I got a free cabin offer for the Mardi Gras.  Unless I get another free cabin, we are willing to wait it out until mask mandates are removed.  We may consider a cruise on another line that doesn't have them in place. 

It would be a good move for Carnival to move forward with common sense as the other lines are doing.  I think some people live in a constant state of fear and are upset that other people can happily go about their lives.

It is possible to wear a mask and not be in a constant state of fear.  The reason I know that is because that is what I have been doing for the past year.  The first year of Covid I was worried even at times scared.  Now that the statistics show that if you are vaxed and boosted you are in very little danger of winding up in the hospital I am less worried, but I still wear a mask when it is required by the establishment I am in because I actually respect the proprietors of the establishments that I frequent.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, elcuchio24 said:

Literally haven't worn a mask anywhere in the past 6 months other than planes. Time to move one. Past time. 

with my medical background ive worn masks for years

Wearing a mask into a business, isnt that big of a deal to me especially, when they are all wearing them

1 hour ago, john91498 said:

Geez, i wish I would of seen this topic sooner. We just dropped $9k on a 5 day Disney vacation in Oahu.

Aulani is a nice resort

We do the Marriott at the first lagoon😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

The science hasn't changed. The virus particles have always been able to go through the majority of the masks.  N95 masks offer protection to the person wearing them.  That won't change.  What will change is society's ability to accept that covid is here to stay and they can accept the risk of living without wearing a mask.  The people who don't want to accept the risk have the option of constantly wearing N95 masks.

N95 provides protection for the wearer AND for others around them. That won't change.

Society will get used to one more periodic vaccine forever.

19 minutes ago, jonbgd said:

with my medical background ive worn masks for years

Wearing a mask into a business, isnt that big of a deal to me especially, when they are all wearing them

Let me say: I fully, fully support your right and want to wear a mask as you see fit. I dont support ANYONE that would try to deny you that right or make you feel poorly for doing so. I also don't support anyone mandating me to wear a mask when I have zero reason to do so.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, john91498 said:

Nice, you'll love it. the views are amazing.

Looks like RCCL is lifting mask mandates

But I think all those properties in HI still have  have mask mandates

Happy Hour at Minas Fish house, next door at the 4  seasons, is highly recommended😁

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jonbgd said:

Looks like RCCL is lifting mask mandates

But I think all those properties in HI still have  have mask mandates

Happy Hour at Minas Fish house, next door at the 4  seasons, is highly recommended😁

Agreed, I spent a few drunken nights at Minas 😆

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2022 at 11:32 AM, JMKreno said:

On 2/8/2022 at 1:14 PM, HxFx said:

I hope Carnival makes a decision soon so I'll have more options. I want to take a cruise in May and right now, I'll probably book NCL based on their mask policy. If someone is concerned or high risk (but then why would they be cruising?), they can wear the N95 masks. 

yeah dropping a requirement doesn't mean those who choose to continue masking can't do so per their risk level. Betting Carnival will drop soon. OTOH still have my NCL FCC that was just extended too...

26 minutes ago, john91498 said:

Agreed, I spent a few drunken nights at Minas 😆

*taking notes-will be in Hawaii for first time over July 4th weekend-block off Waikiki beach. Yeah I expect it will be nuts. Also suspect Hawaii is going to drop most of their covid requirements too. Looking to add a week in Maui as well-hoping our TS request comes through for the extra week

• Like 2