Covid Testing - Reentry Requirement Into U.S. From Europe

jemz1949

My understanding is that in order to reenter the U.S. from Europe, one must currently have a Covid test taken one day prior to reentry.  Assuming my understanding to be correct, how do upcoming Cruisers that will be returning to the U.S. plan to meet that testing requirement?  Is it done by NCL on the ship?   And if so, when?  

In my particular case, our cruise ends on Sunday morning in Barcelona.  Our return flight to the U.S. is on Monday morning.  Any insight?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jemz1949 said:

My understanding is that in order to reenter the U.S. from Europe, one must currently have a Covid test taken one day prior to reentry.  Assuming my understanding to be correct, how do upcoming Cruisers that will be returning to the U.S. plan to meet that testing requirement?  Is it done by NCL on the ship?   And if so, when?  

In my particular case, our cruise ends on Sunday morning in Barcelona.  Our return flight to the U.S. is on Monday morning.  Any insight?

From ncl.com:

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFEVAC

Will NCL offer testing on board to meet travel requirements for guests flying back to countries that require negative COVID-19 test results to re-enter the country post cruise?

Antigen Tests

COVID-19 antigen tests prior to disembarkation will be administered on board and paid for by the Cruise Line for those guests who require a test to return home.

PCR Tests

Effective for all disembarkations beginning January 8, 2022, PCR tests will only be available onboard to confirm a positive antigen test, or to test a symptomatic patient. Those guests requiring a PCR test to return home will be responsible for expense and must obtain the test shoreside after the disembarkation either at a company designated facility, at the airport prior to flying out, or at a nearby clinic of their choice. At all US disembarkation ports, Norwegian Cruise Line has engaged a vendor to administer PCR testing at the terminal for those guests requiring a PCR test to return home. If guests choose this service, the guests will proceed to a designated area in the terminal for their PCR test at the guests' expense which varies by port, then proceed with their travel plans as they await their test results which will be sent electronically approximately 90 minutes after the test.

Estimated PCR test costs by port are as follows:

All current US departure ports (except those listed below) - $125 per person

New Orleans - $180 per person

New York - $250 per person

San Juan - $150 per person

We will continue to update as additional services become available.

If a guest booked a post-cruise hotel, it is the responsibility of the guest to make their own arrangements to get re-tested at their own expense.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 9:28 AM, njhorseman said:

From ncl.com:

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFEVAC

Will NCL offer testing on board to meet travel requirements for guests flying back to countries that require negative COVID-19 test results to re-enter the country post cruise?

Antigen Tests

COVID-19 antigen tests prior to disembarkation will be administered on board and paid for by the Cruise Line for those guests who require a test to return home.

If a guest booked a post-cruise hotel, it is the responsibility of the guest to make their own arrangements to get re-tested at their own expense.

@njhorseman This link was very helpful, thank you.  We are traveling to Italy for 3+ weeks in July, including 2 cruises, and are well aware that every decision concerning COVID-19 testing is fluid from day to day and we cannot know if testing will even be a requirement in July.  However, my husband is disabled and knowing certain things in advance is important to us so we have begun the search into how best to meet these requirements if they are necessary. 

We think we have worked it out that we can probably find a place in Rome near our hotel to get the required antigen test to board our first cruise on NCL.  However, we are embarking on a second cruise on MSC the same day we disembark from the Escape.  We have been trying to determine if NCL tests, at passengers' expense, for situations like that.  Or, do we need to find a testing center in Civitavecchia.  

There is also the possibility of doing the Tele-Med tests but also wonder if they can be taken in a hotel room on onboard a cruise ship!  

It’s probably worthwhile checking the trip adviser forums for the city you’re flying from in Europe.

I know in Ireland you can get an antigen test for about €30 administered by a local pharmacist or doctors office. There’s also testers at a lot of the airports but these are usually significantly more expensive because they’ve effectively got a captive audience. If you get a test done in the EU they will issue an EU covid certificate as your test result if it comes back negative. 

generally speaking in Europe you should be able to find a local test centre that’ll be significantly cheaper than NCL. if you have time pre-cruise you could check in a pharmacy to see where testing can be done. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eileeshb said:

It’s probably worthwhile checking the trip adviser forums for the city you’re flying from in Europe.

I know in Ireland you can get an antigen test for about €30 administered by a local pharmacist or doctors office. There’s also testers at a lot of the airports but these are usually significantly more expensive because they’ve effectively got a captive audience. If you get a test done in the EU they will issue an EU covid certificate as your test result if it comes back negative. 

generally speaking in Europe you should be able to find a local test centre that’ll be significantly cheaper than NCL. if you have time pre-cruise you could check in a pharmacy to see where testing can be done. 

We are Americans flying into FCO in Rome from JFK in New York City.  The thought of a pharmacy is probably one we will explore if it becomes a necessity.  Thanks.

We just flew home from Barcelona today. We ordered a 6-pack of tests through eMed ($150 total plus $17.05 for overnight shipping) which includes a proctored test valid to upload for return into US. It was quick, easy and cheap at just $25 per test.  This was through United - I'm sure other airlines are offering this also. We thought we'd have to pay more, make appointments, etc. but I would highly recommend going this route.  With a cruise, it may be a bit more difficult as you won't be able to test probably until you are back in port - but just sharing what worked for us. The testing process itself took us about 20 min - we used our cell phones and a few used an iPad.

Edited by ljrfrm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ljrfrm said:

We just flew home from Barcelona today. We ordered a 6-pack of tests through eMed ($150 total plus $17.05 for overnight shipping) which includes a proctored test valid to upload for return into US. It was quick, easy and cheap at just $25 per test.  This was through United - I'm sure other airlines are offering this also. We thought we'd have to pay more, make appointments, etc. but I would highly recommend going this route.  With a cruise, it may be a bit more difficult as you won't be able to test probably until you are back in port - but just sharing what worked for us. The testing process itself took us about 20 min - we used our cell phones and a few used an iPad.

@ljrfrm , yes!  I was looking at these yesterday and wondered if they might be the way to go.  We could use 2 at our Rome hotel, 2 in port in Florence the day before we disembark (unless you have a reason for thinking that wouldn't work?), and two in out hotel at the airport the day before we head back to the US.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, pghflyer said:

Just bought those eMed tests myself for same reason + covered by my insurance as part of government requirements.

Good to know. I plan to send in the receipt to see if we're covered or not.  I can't say enough how easy the process was.  We were all set to pay triple and planned to make an appointment.  Doing it in the apartment, not having to go out, and paying 1/3 the price was great.

23 hours ago, pno4te said:

@ljrfrm , yes!  I was looking at these yesterday and wondered if they might be the way to go.  We could use 2 at our Rome hotel, 2 in port in Florence the day before we disembark (unless you have a reason for thinking that wouldn't work?), and two in out hotel at the airport the day before we head back to the US.

It would totally work in port. We just needed wifi and the rest was easy.  We scanned the QR code on the box, created the accounts then started the testing process. You can even create your account before the trip which would make the process even quicker and easier in Florence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pno4te said:

@ljrfrm... your suggestion is what we will plan on if it is necessary in July.  Takes away the concern of getting a spot my husband can get to easily.  Thank again!

You're welcome. We will do the same for our cruise in July also if still needed. Glad this helped.

On 2/21/2022 at 8:59 PM, pno4te said:

I was looking at these yesterday and wondered if they might be the way to go.  We could use 2 at our Rome hotel, 2 in port in Florence the day before we disembark (unless you have a reason for thinking that wouldn't work?), and two in out hotel at the airport the day before we head back to the US.

pno4te,

The only caution I would advise for this is if one of the tests gets spoiled (you drop the swab on the floor while doing the test, for example), you have no spare tests.  Not trying to be a Debbie Downer about this (because I LOVE the Emed tests), but just wanted to point that out.

As an aside, we were so happy we took the Emed tests on our cruise from Athens to Rome in November/December 2021.  We disembarked on Sunday, December 5 and flew home on December 6.  However, December 6 was the day the one-day testing requirement to fly back to the US kicked in (vs. the three-day requirement).  While our test on the Getaway would have covered us for getting home, with the shortened testing requirement starting on Dec. 6, it wouldn't cover us any longer.  Was so happy we had our Emed tests.

--Michael

--Michael

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 10:22 PM, pghflyer said:

Just bought those eMed tests myself for same reason + covered by my insurance as part of government requirements.

So,,, the government only requires insurance companies to pay $12 per test kit.

That being said, our insurance company covered the entire amount for two eMed kits (purchased through the Royal Caribbean emed link that does not require you to buy 6 at a time). 

• Like 1