San Francisco Hotels

margord

We are on a cruise leaving out of San Francisco and are looking for a nice hotel close to the piers.  I would like to be within walking distance of the pier where the seals are located and other attractions.  However, I want to make sue the hotel is in a safe area to be able to walk around during the day.

Marilee

4 hours ago, margord said:

We are on a cruise leaving out of San Francisco and are looking for a nice hotel close to the piers.  I would like to be within walking distance of the pier where the seals are located and other attractions.  However, I want to make sue the hotel is in a safe area to be able to walk around during the day.

Any other hotel criteria besides "walking distance to the seals"? Budget? Nice restaurants walkable?

I'd prefer the Columbus Motor Inn over any of the Fisherman's Wharf hotels, mostly because of its location adjacent to North Beach (SF's Little Italy) and the great dining options.

If I did choose Fisherman's Wharf it would be the Argonaut.

Like almost any city in the world, you should always be very aware of your surroundings.  Tourist areas, especially, attract pickpockets and scam artists.  San Francisco definitely has its share of homeless people...but, largely, they are harmless.

That said, I've never had ANY problem walking around Fisherman's Wharf, the Marina District, North Beach, etc...even in the evenings.  A lot of people walk in San Francisco (It's hard city to drive in and even harder to park!).  Public transportation is quite good...even fun (like the Cable Cars)...Ubers are plentiful, as are taxis...

The Fisherman's Wharf area, most of the time, has a lot of people--especially tourists--walking up and down the streets...A LOT of tourist-oriented gift shops.  Some find it too touristy...but I actually like it...It's a very San Francisco experience.

I would avoid doing dinner at most of the sea food restaurants along the waterfront...waits for tables, crowded, small portions, overpriced and really not great eating.  OTOH, I agree with Scott on North Beach.  Great Italian food...and you can pretty much just walk up and down Columbus and crossing streets, check out menus, see what others are eating...and let your nose choose the restaurant...Lots of good ones.

Also, a note on Scott's choice of the Columbus Motor Inn.  It's part of a small local chain with some nice little hotels.  We haven't stayed in that one for a while...but, our older daughter lived in the Marina District for several years and one of the Columbus Motor Inn's sister hotels was just a couple of blocks from our daughter...so we stayed there a number of times...Ample, clean rooms, free parking, nice management...and very reasonable prices...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I would avoid doing dinner at most of the sea food restaurants along the waterfront...waits for tables, crowded, small portions, overpriced and really not great eating.

I partially agree and partially disagree with you.  Some of the restaurants are rather touristy, etc. as you say.  But, I enjoyed an excellent dinner at Scoma's where the portions were amble, service was very good, and the price was reasonable for that type of dining.  I did make a reservation and my table was waiting for me when I arrived.  

On 2/10/2022 at 1:09 PM, scottca075 said:

Any other hotel criteria besides "walking distance to the seals"? Budget? Nice restaurants walkable?

I'd prefer the Columbus Motor Inn over any of the Fisherman's Wharf hotels, mostly because of its location adjacent to North Beach (SF's Little Italy) and the great dining options.

If I did choose Fisherman's Wharf it would be the Argonaut.

I honestly am not trying to see the seals, but could not think of what to call the area.  I guess FIsherman's Wharf is the best name of the area.  I am not looking for a budget hotel.  I would like something nice and in a safe area to walk around during the day.

Marilee

San Francisco is a very compact city with lots of public/private transit.  We live a short distance away from the City and go for long weekends when it's low season.  We usually stay around Union Square or Financial District.  These are fairly safe to walk around with plenty of stuff to see.  Lots of places to eat at reasonable prices (San Francisco reasonable).  Uber will be your best friend in SF.   

On 2/15/2022 at 6:17 AM, margord said:

I honestly am not trying to see the seals, but could not think of what to call the area.  I guess FIsherman's Wharf is the best name of the area.  I am not looking for a budget hotel.  I would like something nice and in a safe area to walk around during the day.

If you are not looking for a budget hotel, then look at the Argonaut and Kimpton Alton in Fisherman's Wharf and I still rec the Columbus Motor Inn because of its proximity to the great restaurants in North Beach. The Columbus Motor Inn is in a nice neighborhood too. It isn't a touristy area, it is a locals area and a glimpse of a more real San Francisco then Fisherman's Wharf with its chain restaurants, cheap Chinese tourist trinkets and mimes...... I hate mimes.....

For those of you who know the city, there is advertised a Marriott Pulse Vacation Club property.  It's exterior looks like the Marriott Hotel in which I last stayed when I was visiting San Francisco.  I recall the name of the hotel at that time as being the Marriott at Fisherman's Wharf.  Is this Marriott Pulse the same property?  

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I recall the name of the hotel at that time as being the Marriott at Fisherman's Wharf.  Is this Marriott Pulse the same property?  

That is the old Pier 2620 Hotel Fisherman's Wharf. Now it is split between the Marriott at Fisherman's Wharf and Marriott Pulse Vacation Club.

That is the new trend in the hotel industry it seems. In San Diego we have a Residence Inn and SpringHill Suites sharing a building and a Homewood Suites and Hilton Garden Inn sharing a building.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 10:04 PM, scottca075 said:

That is the old Pier 2620 Hotel Fisherman's Wharf. Now it is split between the Marriott at Fisherman's Wharf and Marriott Pulse Vacation Club.

That is the new trend in the hotel industry it seems. In San Diego we have a Residence Inn and SpringHill Suites sharing a building and a Homewood Suites and Hilton Garden Inn sharing a building.

Thank you very much for answering my question.  I liked my stay there.  (It was a two day stay in order to break-up a flight from Singapore to my home to try to avoid jet lag.  Didn't work, however.  I experienced the worst jet lag that I ever have had.)  I will select a different hotel/location for my next visit to San Francisco, however.  

• 2 months later...

Sorry so late to respond here! We spent 4 days at the Hotel Zephyr before our 15 day Hawaiian Cruise in January.  It's reasonably priced and we loved the location.  Coffee in the room, walked to Pier 39 a couple times and Uber'd to the Castro.  We enjoyed the hotel, most of the staff, the location and our room was very comfortable!