Treating AFIB on a cruise ship

beach_fever_4ever

The answer for your concerns should come from the doc handling your afib.

There are too  many variables involved for a straightforward answer....

If you were in afib in the past and meds and/or electricity were used to convert you, then most likely you are on anticoags now and possibly a med for the heart rhythm.

The concern with the afib is:

1.) The heart rate......if you go into afib and your heart rate is too fast there are meds to be used that will   slow it down and make it easier for you to tolerate the afib (you may already be on this)

2.) Stroke due to embolization .....if you are already on anticoagulation therapy then there is not a concern for this. If you have a history of afib, you are most likely on it already.

Talk to your doc about your concerns...

I am sure that the docs on the ship have the proper heart monitors/EKG machines and drugs to slow your heart rate if that is required. They would also have defibrillators but I suspect that they would transfer you off the ship if cardioversion is required and that is what you really want since you want anesthesia to be there.

I hope this answer guides you a little bit.

My husband has had Afib for 12 years.  He takes many different meds, but does occasionally develop Afib.  It usually corrects itself with a few hours up to two days.  We have been on many cruises during this time and only once has he had an episode, however no medical intervention was required.  My husband’s family doctor and his cardiologist tell him to not stop travelling or cruising as long as his Afib is controlled.  We make sure that our travel insurance covers any medical procedures that would be necessary.  Also, we do not cruise anymore to destinations that don’t  have reliable and up to date medical facilities.  This fall we’re sailing on a British Isles cruise for 12 nights.  My husband is a British citizen living in Canada as a permanent resident and travels with a British passport.  This cruise will be completely stress free, regardless of any unexpected episodes.

As long as you are taking the proper meds, have excellent travel insurance, and you are comfortable with the ports ability to treat you in an emergency, then go for it.