PCR Testing done?

NSnewcruiser

8 minutes ago, Froufie said:

And here it is......As of March 1st, no PCR -just antigen prior to arrival (and random testing unfortunately continues):  https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/pcr-test-arrival-travel-drop-1.6350469?fbclid=IwAR2I5ffHgOaJ-wOOib69GmiEXZLXcuxFrBdENkFWPRV0YswoDbiVWrkNUuM

Also this... 
Sources also told CBC News the government plans to lift its current advisory against non-essential travel abroad

Hopefully that includes the cruise ship part too. 

Edited by 1kaper
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Froufie said:

And here it is......As of March 1st, no PCR -just antigen prior to arrival (and random testing unfortunately continues):  https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/pcr-test-arrival-travel-drop-1.6350469?fbclid=IwAR2I5ffHgOaJ-wOOib69GmiEXZLXcuxFrBdENkFWPRV0YswoDbiVWrkNUuM

This is a good step forward. Let's hope it's announced officially soon!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

Now if we can get Portugal to let us off the ship in May my anxiety level will drop significantly😟

May is a lifetime away during COVID.  So much changes so quickly. 
January I didn't think we were taking this trip and a lot has changed.  I'm betting you'll be good by then. 

• Like 1

The official announcements contained no surprises with respect to testing. However, while the general travel advisory has been reduced to a Level 2, there was no mention made of any reduction of the advisory level for cruises outside Canada. The press conference isn't finished, so perhaps this will be addressed later during the Q&A session.

Just now, Fouremco said:

The official announcements contained no surprises with respect to testing. However, while the general travel advisory has been reduced to a Level 2, there was no mention made of any reduction of the advisory level for cruises outside Canada. The press conference isn't finished, so perhaps this will be addressed later during the Q&A session.

Also not stated if any changes should you test positive prior to returning to Canada - still 11 days?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Also not stated if any changes should you test positive prior to returning to Canada - still 11 days?

That was stated in the press conference PCR test between 11 and 180 days.

To me, the only real difference was the addition of the Antigen tests (up to 24 hours).  PCR test (up to 72 hours) is still an option.  There was some wording in the PC about where the Antigen test originates.  Not sure what it meant exactly.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CKCruising said:

There was some wording in the PC about where the Antigen test originates.  Not sure what it meant exactly.

I understood it to mean that if you are taking the test in the USA it must be a USA test , not one you had pre-purchased from Canada for instance.

1 hour ago, Froufie said:

Random PCR tests still needed for surveillance of variants but no need to isolate while waiting for results.

So it appears that the "major" change is swapping a more accurate but expensive test for a cheaper but less accurate one, but if you test positive with the cheaper test, you still have to remain outside the country for a long period of time or face significant fines if you come back, even asymptomatic.  If that's the case, there goes our April cruise out the window. We went through the pre-arrival testing in the US in November and it's just not worth the aggravation for us, as we're not able to "vacation" outside Canada until we test negative. The other problem I would see is that with the COVID prevention measures being weakened everywhere now, particularly in parts of the US, I would say the odds of testing positive are even higher than when we traveled in November. 

9 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

So it appears that the "major" change is swapping a more accurate but expensive test for a cheaper but less accurate one, but if you test positive with the cheaper test, you still have to remain outside the country for a long period of time or face significant fines if you come back, even asymptomatic.  If that's the case, there goes our April cruise out the window. We went through the pre-arrival testing in the US in November and it's just not worth the aggravation for us, as we're not able to "vacation" outside Canada until we test negative. The other problem I would see is that with the COVID prevention measures being weakened everywhere now, particularly in parts of the US, I would say the odds of testing positive are even higher than when we traveled in November. 

I was already at the point where I felt that the odds of testing positive were higher than in November. So I'm ok with that. 

I guess I'm still waiting to see what the official wording is but from what I understood, you can travel home with as soon as you get a negative test, or after 10 days of positive, whichever comes first.  Frequently testing is much more likely to be doable with an antigen test as it is free in many places or at least much cheaper.  And you don't show positive as long. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

I understood it to mean that if you are taking the test in the USA it must be a USA test , not one you had pre-purchased from Canada for instance.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/feds-scrapping-pre-arrival-pcr-testing-for-fully-vaccinated-travellers-1.5781926

As per the press conference:  'to be valid the test must be authorized in the country in which it was purchased and must be administered by laboratory,  health care entity   or a telehealth care service (which I assume means 'proctored/online'?)

Not sure what that means?  The switch health antigen tests are authorized in the country in which they were purchased?  ...and I know the test is FDA approved - so not sure exact 'interpretation'?  

The problem with the antigen test is that is must be taken no more than 24 hrs prior to flight - so for those of us staying over a night (as we are) the test provided by the cruiseline upon disembarkation may not fulfill this requirement 😞

May still need to get the PCR test upon disembarkation as it is still good for the original 72 hours!

Edited by Froufie

From the actual announcement:

Government of Canada lightens border measures as part of transition of the pandemic response - Canada.ca

- "Fully Vaccinated" links to the old page with 2 doses.

- Travellers will now have the option of using a COVID-19 rapid antigen test result (taken the day prior to their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) or a molecular test result (taken no more than 72 hours before their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) to meet pre-entry requirements.  - Not 24 hours prior

- Taking a rapid antigen test at home is not sufficient to meet the pre-entry requirement – it must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased and must be administered by a laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service. - This says switch tests are valid - I think he was just trying to say that you can't do a home test (although poorly). 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I was already at the point where I felt that the odds of testing positive were higher than in November. So I'm ok with that. 

I guess I'm still waiting to see what the official wording is but from what I understood, you can travel home with as soon as you get a negative test, or after 10 days of positive, whichever comes first.  Frequently testing is much more likely to be doable with an antigen test as it is free in many places or at least much cheaper.  And you don't show positive as long. 

You are very fortunate to have the freedom to be able to stay out of the country for such a long period of time, but for us, it's just not an option.  Even though Princess, as currently stated, would pay for our quarantine, it's not about the  money, it's about the personal issues here at home that makes it impossible for us to travel away more than maybe 9 days max.  Looks like we'll be putting off the April trip and try re-booking for sometime this summer.

I’m disembarking an Alaska cruise in Seattle in May.  I had booked a rapid PCR test onsite at SeaTac airport at a cost of $250 US.  Now I can cancel that and book an antigen test at a site a five minute cab ride from SeaTac for $70 US.  Much happier cruiser right now. 

• Like 2

Just now, CKCruising said:

From the actual announcement:

Government of Canada lightens border measures as part of transition of the pandemic response - Canada.ca

- "Fully Vaccinated" links to the old page with 2 doses.

- Travellers will now have the option of using a COVID-19 rapid antigen test result (taken the day prior to their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) or a molecular test result (taken no more than 72 hours before their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry) to meet pre-entry requirements.  - Not 24 hours prior

- Taking a rapid antigen test at home is not sufficient to meet the pre-entry requirement – it must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased and must be administered by a laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service. - This says switch tests are valid - I think he was just trying to say that you can't do a home test (although poorly). 

Excellent.  Thanks. 

1 minute ago, lx200gps said:

You are very fortunate to have the freedom to be able to stay out of the country for such a long period of time, but for us, it's just not an option.  Even though Princess, as currently stated, would pay for our quarantine, it's not about the  money, it's about the personal issues here at home that makes it impossible for us to travel away more than maybe 9 days max.  Looks like we'll be putting off the April trip and try re-booking for sometime this summer.

Oh I understand. That was my concern as well.  But we had originally planned to go somewhere for the week before our cruise.  Those plans fell through so if I end up having to stay longer, it will be basically the same length of time as our original trip was booked to be.  
The possibility of an earlier negative test (if that's how it works) will be a bonus for us. 

Wait a minute…does it mean the antigen test has to be done the day prior to travel or can it be the day of travel?  If the former,  guess I’ll have to stay with the more expensive PCR test.

Edited by Luckysll