Interesting development on the cruise we moved via Cruiseflex

styles27

Originally booked Seashore for Jan 2022. Two weeks before sailing we decided to move the cruise and we chose Seashore 11/12/2022
The new date we chose had the all in promotion so we were happy with that and the ports were awesome Jamaica, GC etc. 

I’m anal about checking our reservations because you never know when MSC will make changes without notifying us.

Low and behold after signing into my account mid January I noticed the date was changed to 11/13th not a big deal as we always go down to FL the week before we cruise anyway.  (in fact I started a new topic when this happened.)

The thing we weren’t happy with was it was an entirely different itinerary which included a day and a half at sea to get to San Juan at 5pm and leave at 1 am.

Then DR was in there and we are both not fans of DR (one and done was enough for us.)

Also Charlotte Amalie from 7am-2pm, not enough time to do what we would like to do.
Just an overall crappy itinerary in our opinion and definitely one we wouldn’t have chosen.  

So today,  looked at my email and MSC FINALLY sent me an email with the change notification, and one of the options was if we weren’t happy with the new itinerary we could cancel for a full refund. 
I was quite surprised that this offer was on the table as this was a moved cruise using cruiseflex. 

So I called and yes indeed we will receive a full refund because they changed the itinerary and it was completely different from the one we originally booked. 

I’m glad we waited to cancel because without that email I doubt the rep would have processed the refund. 

Thought I would post our experience for anyone with a similar situation to ours. 

I’ll let you know how long it takes to get the $$ 😬

7DC1ADB3-F6AB-4624-9E24-F1E38CB7DD48.thumb.jpeg.aad5c517dfcfdc774821c729a521313d.jpeg

7E31F288-ED96-4FBF-AC50-A49FC089F939.thumb.png.03df64e958aa5e98619b390b758e6d2e.png

Edited by styles27
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Glad you were able to get a full refund instead of another credit. I noticed several cruise lines are changing itineraries, ships, etc. currently for sailings later this year and into 2023. I expect these types of changes will continue. Booking no more than 4-6 weeks ahead of the sailing seems to be the best option currently (and there is still no guarantees on making all the ports).

• Like 1

@JT1962 I completely agree about only booking 4-6 weeks in advance, that is definitely our method of planning when it comes to any cruise line.  

That is exactly how we booked our original 01/08/22 cruise but we moved it because of the stories we were hearing about quarantine and isolation because of Omicron. 

We never felt comfortable having hundreds if not thousands of dollars tied up on booked future cruises.
I especially don’t feel comfortable doing that now with the low passenger counts on these sailings.
I don’t know how long these companies can possibly keep taking the financial hits before they pull their US sailings altogether. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 9:30 AM, styles27 said:

@JT1962 

On 2/11/2022 at 6:09 PM, JT1962 said:

Booking no more than 4-6 weeks ahead of the sailing seems to be the best option currently (and there is still no guarantees on making all the ports).

On 2/12/2022 at 9:30 AM, styles27 said:

@JT1962 I completely agree about only booking 4-6 weeks in advance, that is definitely our method of planning when it comes to any cruise line.  

I'd love some advice on booking last minute with MSC.  I have my eye on a May repositioning itinerary that isn't available except on MSC, but, after reading these boards, I haven't booked yet and will certainly do so with trepidation.  I'm new to MSC and wonder if you have any confidence that a very last minute booking can or should even be made with MSC?  Will I be given all of the proper documents timely? All of the correct Covid protocol information for the sailing? Should I expect any necessary adjustments for itinerary changes due to Covid port closures to be made in advance?  I'm puzzled by the pricing.  The ship seems to have plenty of availability and is sure to have ports canceled, yet 2022 is still priced as high as 2023 is currently. When does MSC typically price drop? 

Very much want to use this itinerary to reposition myself leisurely, but, proceeding cautiously based on the never ending tales of buyer beware on these boards.  Such a shame as the ships look so inviting.

Thanks in advance for any and all insights.

Kim

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

8 minutes ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

I'd love some advice on booking last minute with MSC.  I have my eye on a May repositioning itinerary that isn't available except on MSC, but, after reading these boards, I haven't booked yet and will certainly do so with trepidation.  I'm new to MSC and wonder if you have any confidence that a very last minute booking can or should even be made with MSC?  Will I be given all of the proper documents timely? All of the correct Covid protocol information for the sailing? Should I expect any necessary adjustments for itinerary changes due to Covid port closures to be made in advance?  I'm puzzled by the pricing.  The ship seems to have plenty of availability and is sure to have ports canceled, yet 2022 is still priced as high as 2023 is currently. When does MSC typically price drop? 

Very much want to use this itinerary to reposition myself leisurely, but, proceeding cautiously based on the never ending tales of buyer beware on these boards.  Such a shame as the ships look so inviting.

Kim

You have several questions.  Generally, the lower priced rooms do go down a bit but they are already pretty low.  Higher end, no, they have kept prices high.  They have a bid system which is generally not a deal.

Corona communication in US has been great.  We sailed when things changed daily.  Kept website and emails up to date.

Other communication, not so good.  Us, and most reporting here have gotten three different boarding times within week of sailing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Kim

Kim I really don’t have any experience in booking repositioning cruises last minute so I’m unaware if those itineraries have a significant price drop. 
We’ve had very good luck booking a month before if we’re flexible with the itinerary and just want to get away someplace. (Currently looking for something for the first week of March just to get out of the cold for a week) 

We’ve never had a problem getting our cruise docs and I book everything myself directly on the MSC site. 

I think if you’re flexible it can be a great option.

I go on the site every day and check pricing and itineraries until I find something good. There are a lot of great deals right now so lots of choices. 

For a May sailing  I would probably book in March especially for a repositioning cruise. 
Good luck! We’ve loved our MSC cruises. 

~Deb

• Thanks 1

Should I expect any necessary adjustments for itinerary changes due to Covid port closures to be made in advance?”

No one cruising in 2022 should look at a cruise itinerary as anything but best-case scenario. Cruise lines don’t make the rules for who is allowed to visit ports; a country’s government decides. That’s one unknown. Weather and passenger emergencies can also cause last-minute itinerary substitutions or deletions.
 People who have difficulty accepting the things they cannot change, and might possibly have a hissy fit if their cruise isn’t identical to what they saw on a YouTube video from 2019, will be happier  elsewhere. 

• Like 2

Patience and flexibility is definitely a requirement for traveling anywhere right now. 
I have a flight booked for Memorial Day weekend to Indianapolis that I booked and paid for in December and it’s already been changed twice.
One of the changes got us in to Indianapolis after the 500 started on Sunday when we’re supposed to fly in on  Friday. 
Now our new Saturday flights say “pending” instead of confirmed so it looks like American will boot us off of those flights too. 

There are so many uncertainties with planes right now we may be driving instead. 
What I don’t understand is why they’re already cancelling flights that are 4-5 months away. 

4 hours ago, BikiniBlonde said:

Should I expect any necessary adjustments for itinerary changes due to Covid port closures to be made in advance?”

No one cruising in 2022 should look at a cruise itinerary as anything but best-case scenario. Cruise lines don’t make the rules for who is allowed to visit ports; a country’s government decides. That’s one unknown. Weather and passenger emergencies can also cause last-minute itinerary substitutions or deletions.
 People who have difficulty accepting the things they cannot change, and might possibly have a hissy fit if their cruise isn’t identical to what they saw on a YouTube video from 2019, will be happier  elsewhere. 

Heck, we even had two days in a row at OC changed to one day with second day later that week.  Happened during trip.  Crew we spoke to had no idea it had changed.  Still hit other two ports.

7 hours ago, BikiniBlonde said:

Was not at all the answer to my question, but, thanks anyway.  If you have direct experience with MSC adjustments due to itinerary changes I'd appreciate hearing about the timing of those changes from when you were notified to any price adjustments or other compensation.  If none was offered by MSC, I'd like to hear about that, too.  

Thanks in advance.

Added for clarity:

The itinerary of interest currently has 2 ports closed and I do not expect that to change. Also,, cannot possibly make third port and still meet the debarkation requirements in the final destination country, currently, though this one may change. I wanted to know when I could expect MSC to address the necessary changes. Before the cruise? Mid sailing?  I don't care as I'm using it as transport and I thought I said that so your comments about a hissy fit and who establishes the rules felt like a lecture and were not necessary.  I just wanted to know how MSC deals with notifications.  If you have experiential info, that would be great.

On 2/19/2022 at 10:05 AM, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Kim

Kim,

I can tell you from experience that MSC has screwed me over on every single sailing I have recently had with one mistake after another and their attitude is they don't care.

I had an October which they took me out of yacht club and put me on deck 8 in a regular balcony with no adjustment in fare. Don.t like? I was told to cancel.

I had two sailings in December, one in January and now two coming in March.

They actually managed to screw the upcoming ones up.

Fully paid last year July for YC.

Last week they want another$1800+ from me?????

Customer service is total garbage!!! Non existent. They don't care.

I cannot wait to be done with this cruise line. If I could get a refund for next month cruises I would take it.

I already have conflicting Covid info for my cruise in 20 days. It is not from the USA, so different protocols.

I don't know if booking now or later will make a difference.

I would do it now, so you can bid up.

I don't know how much prices will drop as repo cruises are already a good deal.

I do them all the time. I have 2 this year booked and 2 for 2023.

Just be very careful and stay on top of your booking every day.

• Thanks 1

I have been on several cruises on MSC where the itinerary changed mid-cruise.  A letter was left on our bed in the cabin.  They can, and do, change itineraries based on weather, ports of call changing their covid procedures, etc.  

If the ports are closed prior to boarding day with no hope of opening, can I expect an obviously necessary change in itinerary to occur before boarding, or will it be a note on the bed mid-cruise for what was an obvious change all along?  I don't want to have to anticipate spending OBC for missed ports when it is pretty clear at the start that we can't dock in at least 2, possibly 4 of the ports.

I fully understand other unanticipated changes can happen mid-cruise.  I'm talking about ones that are obviously never going to happen with current closures.

Sorry if i haven't been clear in my phrasing. Just trying to get a feel for how MSC acknowledges the need to change in advance.  Or, does not acknowledge it until boarding.

1 hour ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

If the ports are closed prior to boarding day with no hope of opening, can I expect an obviously necessary change in itinerary to occur before boarding, or will it be a note on the bed mid-cruise for what was an obvious change all along?  I don't want to have to anticipate spending OBC for missed ports when it is pretty clear at the start that we can't dock in at least 2, possibly 4 of the ports.

I fully understand other unanticipated changes can happen mid-cruise.  I'm talking about ones that are obviously never going to happen with current closures.

Sorry if i haven't been clear in my phrasing. Just trying to get a feel for how MSC acknowledges the need to change in advance.  Or, does not acknowledge it until boarding.

Not till boarding so you don't have a choice is the MO of many lines.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

I don't want to have to anticipate spending OBC for missed ports when it is pretty clear at the start that we can't dock in at least 2, possibly 4 of the ports.

I wouldn't even *expect* any OBC for missed ports. That's a goodwill gesture that they may or may not do.  In any case you can find ways to cash it out in lieu of having to spend it... (which would not be a problem for me, to be clear 💍)

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Was not at all the answer to my question, but, thanks anyway.  If you have direct experience with MSC adjustments due to itinerary changes I'd appreciate hearing about the timing of those changes from when you were notified to any price adjustments or other compensation.  If none was offered by MSC, I'd like to hear about that, too.  

Thanks in advance.

Added for clarity:

The itinerary of interest currently has 2 ports closed and I do not expect that to change. Also,, cannot possibly make third port and still meet the debarkation requirements in the final destination country, currently, though this one may change. I wanted to know when I could expect MSC to address the necessary changes. Before the cruise? Mid sailing?  I don't care as I'm using it as transport and I thought I said that so your comments about a hissy fit and who establishes the rules felt like a lecture and were not necessary.  I just wanted to know how MSC deals with notifications.  If you have experiential info, that would be great.

I meant nothing personal. I was speaking to the general notion that MSC has control over everything at sea. You sound like a seasoned traveler, but not everyone reading this is. I sincerely apologize. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

If the ports are closed prior to boarding day with no hope of opening, can I expect an obviously necessary change in itinerary to occur before boarding, or will it be a note on the bed mid-cruise for what was an obvious change all along?

One idea is to check your cruise date on their website as if you were a new customer to see what ports are indicated for your sailing date. Are they still selling the ports you're interested in?

For example, in December we had a MSC cruise from Dubai that was supposed to make a port-of-call in Dammam, Saudi Arabia.  i noticed a month prior to the sailing that they were no longer selling the cruise with that port. Sure enough, a couple weeks later I got the email indicating that port was being dropped. There was no compensation for the missed stop.

On the other hand, we were on a different MSC cruise that was supposed to dock at their private island Ocean Cay. It wasn't until we got to the cruise terminal that we were handed a letter indicating that the port was dropped. For this one we did get $50 obc plus a 15% discount on a future cruise.

With MSC, you just never really know!

• Thanks 1

An update:  Repo was pulled from the website about a week ago.  MSC didn't have any info for me. Just, they didn't know and were also waiting to find out from HQ. Understand, a booked passenger did receive a cancellation and the ship will deadhead from Durban to Genoa.  Guess without a feasible itinerary to substitute, MSC is not willing to run a "cruise" for an inevitable low passenger count.

I'm disappointed as it was a key piece in a 6 month trip I'm beginning soon.  Why take an 11 hour flight when you can take a 24 day cruise 🛳 🙃 🙄.   Off to organize plans C, D, etc......

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would update that we received our $1400 back on 3/12/22 exactly 1 month and 1 day from the time we requested a refund. 
Not too bad considering the stories I’ve read on these boards of some people waiting months for their refund. 

Now what to do with that negative balance on our CC 🤔🌴✈️

• Like 2