Pre-cruise Covid testing

john2003

I am getting a headache trying to figure out how we will get our Covid tests in Anchorage before our HAL June cruise that leaves from Whittier.

Part of the problem is that as Canadians, we aren't familiar with the potential options. 

First should we try to use a test that is monitored vs in-person? Can u buy these in drug stores?

If we seek an in-person test, the big risk seems to be not having the result in time. As we will be in Denali, it has to be done the day before the cruise when we are back in Anchorage.

Walgreens offers drive thru but we won't gave a rental car.

Some help will be appreciated.

I know that you can get tests done at the airport in Anchorage, and assume the results will be instant. I have the same problem as you as we will be in Seward days before our cruise and am not sure if there is anywhere there do do a pre-cruise test. The pre-boarding test option offered by our cruise line is an option but is expensive at 99$ per person. 

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I wouldn't count on a test being required for cruises in June.

This would be terrific.  We are sailing mid August.  We too, are required by Celebrity to test 2 days prior.  We are headed to Anchorage then Seward before sailing.  I get the headache thing or PITA.

I didn't want to have to test in Anchorage or try the online test away from home.  Ended up booking a later flight to test at home.  

11 hours ago, Alphen said:

Just curious, are you in a Land/Cruise tour package, or the land portion on your own?

We are doing our own precruise travel.

I agree it is possible tests won't be required by June but I am not terribly optimistic.

I wish someone who resides in the greater Anchorage area would respond.  But my experience, as someone who lives in the second largest community in the state, is that we had to do telehealth proctored tests last September to board a Celebrity ship in Seattle.  There were only two local testing facilities that thought they could get the results back in time for Celebrity's requirements; one cost $335 per person and the other $209 per person.  So the $180 we spent for six proctored tests from eMed was a bargain.  

We found that our local Walgreens sends the tests out to a lab in Tennessee and it was a minimum of 72 hours to get the results.  We don't have a CVS in the interior of the state.  Anchorage has two CVS pharmacies.  The question is whether the tests are sent out of state and how quickly you can obtain the results.

Seward is so small I would be extremely surprised if a test could be done there and be able to receive the results prior to boarding.

Northern Aurora, thanks for the info. Glad, I am looking at this now as it may be difficult. Not sure quite how I would acquire the procured tests unless I can get them mailed to our hotel ahead of time.

Food for thought.

I am a little wary about doing the online tests  as you need to rely on an efficient internet service, which may not be available. Therefore, if nothing is available in the Seward area we will have to pay the high cruise fee and test before boarding. Returning to Anchorage just seems a waste of time. Our cruise is not until September and the cruise requirements may have changed by then. Impossible to pre-plan anything these days. 

16 hours ago, john2003 said:

We are doing our own precruise travel.

I agree it is possible tests won't be required by June but I am not terribly optimistic.

We have a complete package, have contacted cruise company about testing before the cruise during land, but they were unable to answer at this stage.

On 2/11/2022 at 10:59 PM, john2003 said:

I am getting a headache trying to figure out how we will get our Covid tests in Anchorage before our HAL June cruise that leaves from Whittier.

Part of the problem is that as Canadians, we aren't familiar with the potential options. 

First should we try to use a test that is monitored vs in-person? Can u buy these in drug stores?

If we seek an in-person test, the big risk seems to be not having the result in time. As we will be in Denali, it has to be done the day before the cruise when we are back in Anchorage.

Walgreens offers drive thru but we won't gave a rental car.

Some help will be appreciated.

Canucks here too. We have a July 2022 Cruise out of Whittier and are also doing our own pre-cruise touring for a week. We have booked an extra day to stay over in Anchorage before the cruise in order to have lots of time to get tested and have the results in hand before embarkation  day. After taking care of the testing, we’ll enjoy checking out the city and have a nice dinner. While there’s certainly a chance that no Covid-19 test MAY be required by then, we can really only plan for what we know today. 

Edited by BoopTheSnoot
Typo

We are cruising out of Vancouver, flying in from Texas for a few days before our embarkation. We are getting our PCR test here at home in order to fly into Canada. We are sailing on NCL...and will need a negative result withing 48 hrs of embarkation. I ordered online-proctored test we can do from the Hotel room from NCL recommended Inspire Diagnostics.  We even have our appt scheduled on Sunday AM before we sail on Monday.  It would be nice if all of the testing would be relaxed by June but I'm ready if it isn't!  

13 hours ago, mlmalone3 said:

We are cruising out of Vancouver, flying in from Texas for a few days before our embarkation. We are getting our PCR test here at home in order to fly into Canada. We are sailing on NCL...and will need a negative result withing 48 hrs of embarkation. I ordered online-proctored test we can do from the Hotel room from NCL recommended Inspire Diagnostics.  We even have our appt scheduled on Sunday AM before we sail on Monday.  It would be nice if all of the testing would be relaxed by June but I'm ready if it isn't!  

There will be testing right at the Canada Place terminal in Vancouver...it was just announced last week.

https://www.empowerclinics.com/empower-clinics-signs-partnership-with-one-of-north-americas-largest-terminal-operators-to-provide-covid-testing-services/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, john2003 said:

BoopTheSnoot, we also have the day before the cruise in Anchorage. Are you planning on using a proctored test?

We're waiting a bit to see if testing will still be required, but planning on booking an appointment to get a rapid test done at a drugstore, clinic, etc. I have to think that with Anchorage being such a key city for the cruising industry, there will be some good choices for testing.

15 hours ago, mlmalone3 said:

Actually NCL says 3 days prior for a non-US port! Cruising in May and flying in 2 days beforehand. Will be taking a rapid at home before flying out. I would like for testing to be relaxed as well. I’d prefer if Canada would allow the antigen instead of the PCR. 

86E4B428-0EE7-4F93-A8B8-9C1DB4F9A2B8.jpeg