Has anyone ever boarded at 2nd port?

manc

We are thinking that having visited Amsterdam many times including on Azamara that we would like to join the ship at Leith, Edinburgh.  Has anyone done this? We could just catch a train to Edinburgh rather than fly to Amsterdam which makes sense to us. 

I doubt this would be possible in current times. Amsterdam will have a covid testing team for all the pre-boarding passenger testing. There will not be that in Edinburgh.

On Journey in December a couple of friends almost missed the ship due flight delays, they queried whether joining at next port would be possible and were told no. (they did manage to make the ship at original port)

• Like 1

This happened to us, but not by choice more than ten years ago, so I am positive the details would not be pertinent today. But just for the record, when I knew that we could not make the embarkation date I contacted the cruiseline and they said it was okay to go (on our own) to the first port of call, which is what we did.  That port was not set up for checking in passengers and customs etc. was rather peeved. Plus the cruiseline imposed a $300 per person fine for the supposed Jones Act Violation which we paid. Years later someone made a class action suit against the cruiseline and everyone who had ever paid the $300 was refunded it! I advise abiding by the schedule:)

Like Flashdog_1 we too embarked at the first port. After lost passport in Singapore we rang Azamara, dashed to the airport and booked the next flight to Penang where we embarked. On arrival at the ship we were greeted like long lost friends!

I accept it wouldn't happen today, but it was a lovely outcome to an experience I never want to repeat!

• Like 2