The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

2 minutes ago, umpisoccer said:

We are sailing on the Getaway Nyc for xmas and are staying in the Haven for the very 1st time.  Will NCL offer us to eat for free on embarkation day at the American Diner as well as the Haven Restaurant?  Thank you.

I sailed Getaway in April and September, both times in the Haven. Both times we had the option of American Diner or the Haven Restaurant. We chose American Diner, though be sure to bundle up if you choose American Diner! It'll be cold....I do wonder if winter sailings have a different offering for Haven guests as it's really not likely they would open American Diner (unless they have electric heaters). 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, umpisoccer said:

We are sailing on the Getaway Nyc for xmas and are staying in the Haven for the very 1st time.  Will NCL offer us to eat for free on embarkation day at the American Diner as well as the Haven Restaurant?  Thank you.

NCL changes things from Time to Time but I am pretty sure the answer is yes.  Do what you want if it is offered.  I usually eat at the Haven Restaurant because the food is better and I get to met the Haven Staff.  I ate at the American Diner when I took my family on the NCL Joy in the Haven November 2021.  I had the Blue Plate Special which was Roast Beef, mashed potato's and green beans.  I loved it.  The rest of my family hated this place.  BTW, the milk shakes are not complementary and it was the only think my family liked. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

26 minutes ago, umpisoccer said:

We were on the Getaway at the end of Oct. there was a representative from the American Dinner walking around the Haven lounge with showing their menu. Even had one of the waiters walk us to the restaurant. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/21/2022 at 1:24 PM, Sthrngary said:

@CDR BensonHello sir and love to read your posts.  Please share with your lovely bride that you did her a great service.  All my life, I have wanted to cruise on a "Luxury Brand".  I wanted to know what the difference was and evaluate the benefits.  When that day finally came, I came to a very different realization than I had ever thought.

The differences are subtle which make them work well.  The biggest difference is that the entire ship is like being in the Haven on Steroids. Once you leave your stateroom, everyone is treated the same.  The "Personalized Service" becomes much more visible on day two when the crew gets to know you. The atmosphere tends to be much less busy allowing for a much less rushed vacation.  The need to show our suite card for a drink is no more.  The food in the Main Dining room is as good or better than the specialty restaurants on most other ships.  The Specialty Restaurants are outstanding. 

If there is some things that are similar to insure your vacation is all it can be, it is some of the same preparations.  Regents most of the excursions are part of your fare. Still some get sold out so plan to book them early.  The same thing holds true for Specialty restaurants.  Book what you can early and got to the restaurant when you get on board for additional bookings. If you do their Airfare, read the blogs and the fine print.  We have share lots of information with each other over the years.  My goal is the assist you and Ms. B with setting expectations that are both realistic and can be exceeded.......

I would agree with your overall assessment of a Regent Cruise. Another BIG plus is the amount of guests vs crew on board versus the mass market.  The ships have plenty of space and no feeling of crowds what so ever.  

30 days until my first Haven experience on the Bliss 12/24.  I'll put a write up in here with my thoughts on Haven vs. Oceania vs.  Regent. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, umpisoccer said:

All my past sailings they have done so. The only thing I don't believe is comp'd to Haven guests that day in the diner are the milkshakes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, umpisoccer said:

American Diner was just 'meh'. We tried it because it was free in September on the Joy. Since it's free, no harm in trying it with an open mind knowing you can grab something elsewhere if you don't like it.

I actually didn't care for their milkshakes. Too much whipped cream for my liking.

• Like 2

We were in the Haven on the Breakaway in September and were given that offer but didn’t take it. The Haven restaurant was so busy all cruise that they took all the lounges out of the pool deck and put in tables. Not many people wanted to eat at the diner because it is outside and the weather was cold.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

American Diner was just 'meh'. We tried it because it was free in September on the Joy. Since it's free, no harm in trying it with an open mind knowing you can grab something elsewhere if you don't like it.

I actually didn't care for their milkshakes. Too much whipped cream for my liking.

We ate there on the Getaway in October, and it was lackluster. We did not get any milkshakes, though. Honestly, next time we'll just eat lunch in the Haven, assuming it's open.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

We were in the Haven on the Breakaway in September and were given that offer but didn’t take it. The Haven restaurant was so busy all cruise that they took all the lounges out of the pool deck and put in tables. Not many people wanted to eat at the diner because it is outside and the weather was cold.

In October, the Getaway Haven pool deck was all tables, too. The only loungers were in the pool. We were cruising the Caribbean, so it was hot out there when the sun was beating down on the tables, which is presumably why I never saw anyone eating meals out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rbxlady said:

In October, the Getaway Haven pool deck was all tables, too. The only loungers were in the pool. We were cruising the Caribbean, so it was hot out there when the sun was beating down on the tables, which is presumably why I never saw anyone eating meals out there.

This is very interesting.  If seems, there is a consensus that when the Breakaway is sold out, the Breakaway ship Haven Restaurant is extremely busy.  This it seems leads to a wait which can be an inconvenience if you are going to an activity or show.  

I am commenting on this situation because I am on the Breakaway in 11 days.  The ship is almost sold out.  The Haven has been sold out for quite some time.  I am not in the Haven for this trip and it seems like, if ever there was a trip not to be in the Haven, this is the one.  

As a side note, this is way we all should schedule our Specialty Restaurants the moment we can.  If you are in the Haven, 130 prior; Suites non-Haven which include Club Balcony Suites is 125 days and everyone else 120 days prior.  A good plan on a busy ship is critical. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

This is very interesting.  If seems, there is a consensus that when the Breakaway is sold out, the Breakaway ship Haven Restaurant is extremely busy.  This it seems leads to a wait which can be an inconvenience if you are going to an activity or show.  

I am commenting on this situation because I am on the Breakaway in 11 days.  The ship is almost sold out.  The Haven has been sold out for quite some time.  I am not in the Haven for this trip and it seems like, if ever there was a trip not to be in the Haven, this is the one.  

As a side note, this is way we all should schedule our Specialty Restaurants the moment we can.  If you are in the Haven, 130 prior; Suites non-Haven which include Club Balcony Suites is 125 days and everyone else 120 days prior.  A good plan on a busy ship is critical. 

The Haven had been sold out for about two months prior to our sailing, and we only ever had to wait for a table at the Haven restaurant once, for maybe 7 or 8 minutes, because we were a party of four. Service was always quick, too. Maybe we got lucky.

The bar stools were full many times in the late afternoon, though, which made it tough if we wanted to walk up and order something to drink and bring back to our cabin (we were in 16120 on the Getaway, so literally right next to the Haven lounge), but if we had wanted to sit in the chairs in the lounge, that would not have been a problem. I don't think I ever saw them full except maybe on disembarkation day.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rbxlady said:

The Haven had been sold out for about two months prior to our sailing, and we only ever had to wait for a table at the Haven restaurant once, for maybe 7 or 8 minutes, because we were a party of four. Service was always quick, too. Maybe we got lucky.

The bar stools were full many times in the late afternoon, though, which made it tough if we wanted to walk up and order something to drink and bring back to our cabin (we were in 16120 on the Getaway, so literally right next to the Haven lounge), but if we had wanted to sit in the chairs in the lounge, that would not have been a problem. I don't think I ever saw them full except maybe on disembarkation day.

Thank you for the clarification.  It seem, which is normal, that some folks overview a different experience than others.  My comments were after reading about 6 comments in a row.  I was on the Getaway with a full ship and in the Haven which was sold out.  We were a party of two at the time.  We had to wait for 10 minutes only once.  

That said, if other experience is different, a good plan or strategy makes it all work out.  Part of my issue on Social Media is reading different views, from the same voyage from different guests.  I take everyone experience as their reality, especially if they write it, was a grain of salt.  I just want everyone to know, nothing ever goes completely perfect on a cruise.  Control what is within your control and use good business judgement.  

• Like 1

Prior to our September sailing on the Joy I kept hearing stories about how it was one of the worst Haven ships because there were 'xxx' more Haven cabins on that ship than the sister ships of Encore/Bliss. So we went in expecting it to be crowded, tight, and overstuffed. That wasn't the case at all, even with a sold out Haven.

So as nice as it is to hear other's experiences or opinions, I don't get myself worried over them as folks have different perceptions and trigger points. While on vacation, I've found that it takes a lot more to get me upset than most so lots of preconceived assumptions end up unfounded.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NW Pacific said:

the crab sandwich on the Bliss last 2 times, pretty tasty!  Would only go to American Diner since it was "free" for Haven Day 1.  Another experience.

Concur, diner only on day one; and chalk it up to another experiencing.

• Thanks 1

I have a question concerning the Ncl weight restrictions for luggage. On the homepage all I could find was that a max. of 22kg / 50 pounds per bag is allowed. 

Is it the same for Haven guests? How strict are they when your bag is a little overweight? We are planning on travelling with only one shared bag starting tomorrow which is about 26kg / 50 pounds. What would happen in that case? Our airline allows more than 22 kg and guest flying business class for example could even check bags with a 32 kg /  70 pounds per bag limit…

Thanks everyone!

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2022 at 3:47 PM, Sthrngary said:

@molemauiCruise well and enjoy every moment

Another thank you for your posts and knowledge. 

Planning on booking the Haven on the Prima shortly. Totally unfamiliar with NCL.

a. Is there a preferred deck to book?(Choices are 12 through 15 all mid ship)

b. Oceania, Silversea, etc. have self service laundry. Does NCL - or do you just use the ship laundry? (Going to be gone 2, maybe 3 weeks and want to minimize luggage)

c. Is it better to upgrade to unlimited internet on second day? How about drink package? Just so I understand correctly, are all drinks $15 and under included on ship provided package? (If so, I can forego single malts and drink sparkling wine instead of Champagne for a few days!)

d. Do Haven guests get any assistance on restaurant and show reservations? Apparently there's a bar with great entertainment that is supposedly difficult to get in unless you wait for an hour outside. (I don't do hour waits!)

Thanks again. 

18 minutes ago, molemaui said:

Is there a preferred deck to book?(Choices are 12 through 15 all mid ship)

Depending on which Haven Suite you have, some have hot tubs and others don't.  I would call and if my suite had Hot tubs, that is the one I would book.

20 minutes ago, molemaui said:

Oceania, Silversea, etc. have self service laundry. Does NCL - or do you just use the ship laundry? (Going to be gone 2, maybe 3 weeks and want to minimize luggage)

No Laundry.  Ship Laundry.  The NCL ships are not designed to cruise months like the others.

21 minutes ago, molemaui said:

Is it better to upgrade to unlimited internet on second day? How about drink package? Just so I understand correctly, are all drinks $15 and under included on ship provided package? (If so, I can forego single malts and drink sparkling wine instead of Champagne for a few days!)

Upgrade to the Internet pre-cruise.  No reason to wait.  Just handle it so you don't have to worry about it. On the drink package, $15 or less is correct.  If it is more, they just charge you more.  Consider the Free At Sea PLUS program which gives you Unlimited Internet, Premium Plus Beverage Package and two more Specialty Meals. 

24 minutes ago, molemaui said:

Do Haven guests get any assistance on restaurant and show reservations? Apparently there's a bar with great entertainment that is supposedly difficult to get in unless you wait for an hour outside. (I don't do hour waits!)

Do your specialty restaurants 130 in advance.  If you have to change things, contact the Haven Pre-Cruise desk.  The issue with the small venues sometime happen and sometimes not.  Depends on who you talk to.  It never happened for me. Just go in when it opens and stand in the back.  That is what I always do and have a GREAT TIME.

Hope all that helps. 

Cruise well and enjoy every minute. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2022 at 8:00 PM, molemaui said:

Another thank you for your posts and knowledge. 

Planning on booking the Haven on the Prima shortly. Totally unfamiliar with NCL.

a. Is there a preferred deck to book?(Choices are 12 through 15 all mid ship)

b. Oceania, Silversea, etc. have self service laundry. Does NCL - or do you just use the ship laundry? (Going to be gone 2, maybe 3 weeks and want to minimize luggage)

c. Is it better to upgrade to unlimited internet on second day? How about drink package? Just so I understand correctly, are all drinks $15 and under included on ship provided package? (If so, I can forego single malts and drink sparkling wine instead of Champagne for a few days!)

d. Do Haven guests get any assistance on restaurant and show reservations? Apparently there's a bar with great entertainment that is supposedly difficult to get in unless you wait for an hour outside. (I don't do hour waits!)

Thanks again. 

Do take note of where the slides are in relation to your selected cabin. They cause some view obstruction (and I’ve seen complaints of the tube going right through haven balconies)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AtlantaAlly said:

Do take note of where the slides are in relation to your selected cabin. They cause some view obstruction (and I’ve seen complaints of the tube going right through haven balconies)

Never even considered that! Thank you!

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 10:48 PM, AtlantaAlly said:

In reality, they are next to, but outside of, the balcony. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2022 at 9:17 PM, Treasure Hunter said:

We were on Breakaway in August and it was the same set up.  We never had to wait very long to be seated, so the restaurant wasn’t overflowing, but it does feel a little awkward to be eating a fancy meal as someone splashes in the pool behind your chair.  

• Like 1