The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

3 minutes ago, knscruiser322 said:

@Sthrngary, another question on the tipping part.

For your bartender or steward, how would you normally approach giving them the tip? Last time I cruised was at least 4 years ago and I tipped my steward on the last day just handing him the cash like I'm doing a drug deal, lmao.

If you don't mind me stepping in again, I'll relate how I did it.

Our butler:  I enclosed half of the total tip I anticipated giving him for the voyage in the butler letter I gave him the first day.  (That resulted in unexpected dividends.)  On the last night of the cruise, I gave him an envelope with the other half, plus a bit more---for unexpected services he had provided.

The Haven concierge:  I presented him with an envelope with tip on the last night of the cruise.

In both of the above cases, I used envelopes I brought from home for that purpose.

Our room steward:  On his final room service, on the last full day of the cruise, I handed him his tip in folded bills, like you'd slip a tip to the maître d' to get a good table at the restaurant.

We never dealt with bartenders directly; the roving waiters in the Haven Lounge and Haven Observation Lounge always took care of our drink orders.  Initially, I wondered how I was going to handle tipping the waiters---I didn't have that many small bills and it seemed a little gauche to hand a waiter a tip with every drink order.  That resolved itself neatly, as it turned out that our drink orders were almost always served by one of the same two fellows.  So, on the last night, I sought them out and tipped them with folded cash.

That's what worked for us.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

The next tip you give them if any at all is the last day.  There will be envelopes put in your suite. 

Does this normally happen? (It did happen on the couple of Carnival cruises I took 15+ years ago.) On our only NCL cruise last year we didn't receive any envelopes. I repurposed the ones we received throughout the cruise (when they would leave messages for us) for final day tips.

Also, for the Haven bartenders I put down $20 the first time I ordered a drink and told them I was pre-tipping because I don't want to have to fish out small bills everytime I ordered a drink. After the first day I would drop a $20 without the explanation, or just say pre-tipping. Since the Haven staff doesn't really turn over they all knew what I was doing, and I didn't have to feel 'guilty' if I ran out of singles. Granted, some days they probably earned more from the $20, and on bar nights they may have made a little less. They all at least seemed happy with my system! (They were also so fantastic I gave each an individual tip at the end of the cruise...)

Edited by Grimix
typo
  • Like 1

Question on using the concierge, whether be land or sea.

For Haven guests, I understand we can start booking show reservations 25 days from sailing. Is it easier to book through the concierge for this? 

Prior to my Haven upgrade, I was in a Club Balcony Suite and I booked all my dining reservations online or through the App.

Wanted to see if it would be easier through concierge or using the actual site or App to book.

Also does anyone know what the showtimes are for evenings of Footloose and Elements? I'm cruising in July with my wife and wanted to make sure we get entertainment reservations in.

34 minutes ago, knscruiser322 said:

Wanted to see if it would be easier through concierge or using the actual site or App to book.

I just used the main site and it was quite easy. The one caveat is it won't let you book overlapping reservations, so if you need to adjust any dining then you must do it before you try to book entertainment.

3 hours ago, knscruiser322 said:

I'm curious, do you try to get an envelope at guest services and provide it to them in there?

I (usually) bring notecards with my name and cabin number printed on them so I can leave notes for the steward/butler, and when I order them they come with envelopes so I just use those for tips. My upcoming trip is last-minute so I'm going to just get a box of generic notecard from Michael's.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:
4 hours ago, knscruiser322 said:

You mentioned we can ask the concierge to reserve spots in advance, are they strict with the times that you provide?

They can only give you what they have.  However, there is a special line when entering the go-cart area for Haven Guest to fill in the race if cars are available.  More crowed at night, less crowded in the day.  All of your questions have to do with the number of people on your ship.  No way to give a definitive answer. 

I found the go-carts hit or miss.  I did it once and that was enough for me.  Same with Lasor tag. 

This is good info... this cruise on the Bliss will be my first time on a ship with the go-karts/laser tag and my niece is very excited. She's really into Splash Academy when they're open, but I'm not sure what the hours will be for an Alaskan itinerary with early port stops and I'm expecting to spend some time go-karting with her even though the idea of driving a vehicle toward the edge of deck 19 is a little terrifying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, NikkiPoooo27 said:

I (usually) bring notecards with my name and cabin number printed on them so I can leave notes for the steward/butler, and when I order them they come with envelopes so I just use those for tips. My upcoming trip is last-minute so I'm going to just get a box of generic notecard from Michael's.

This is such a great idea.  I wish I had seen this sooner.
I usually bring thank you notes to give to the crew and we put our tips in them.  When we cruise during a holiday,  we bring holiday cards!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

What was the best snack or food item delivered to your haven suite in the afternoon?

To be honest I don't remember much about the snacks. There's so much food on the cruise that we really didn't need the snacks (even the peanut M&Ms which I loved but didn't need.) I think we only had lunch one or 2 times on a 5 day cruise. Sounds like a great idea, but then in reality I bet most of it gets wasted...

34 minutes ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

What was the best snack or food item delivered to your haven suite in the afternoon?

DH and I especially like when assorted cheeses (and crackers) are the afternoon snack!

He also likes a small bowl of potato chips, on occasion. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Kiddo: white chocolate chip cookies

Husband: charcuterie board

Me: Truli vodka seltzer and a bowl of berries. I pour the vodka seltzer over the fruit, let it marinate in the fridge so I can have "boozy fruit" as a late night snack 🍷

Warmest, Amy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

We like their cookies, so we asked the butler to bring cookies every day. (They’re just cookies, nothing special, but they do their job well!  😁j He did, except for one day he brought brownies, which were also really good. The chocolate covered strawberries were really good as well. Obviously we’re sweets people!  So what you like might be completely different!

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2023 at 2:57 PM, Sthrngary said:

1. Butler:  I am the crazy insane person that crafted the famous "Butler Letter".  The reason was I had several butlers in a row that were Hit/Miss.  The moment I did the Butler Letter, my butlers were all hits.  Long story and it needs to be a very well written letter sharing your likes/dislikes and requests if allowable. In that correspondence that I give to my butler the very first day is their tip.  With two people in a Haven Suite I tipped $150.00.  With four in the Haven Owners Suite I tipped $250.00.  Just want I did and does not reflect right or wrong. 
  2. Bartenders:  I usually give them a $20.00 bill a couple of times during the week.  
  3. Room Steward:  I usually give them an extra $100.00.

@Sthrngary  A couple of reactions to this information:

1.  I don't believe 99% of the participants in this thread believe you to be crazy nor insane.  Based on the 2000+ replies in this thread and the number of people who now use a "Butler Letter", I say, "well done sir"

2.  I have an idea of what I want to tip and to whom, but since you are an experienced "tipper", it would be helpful to know if these amounts are based on a 7 day, 10 day or an X day cruise?   I like to divide costs (& extras) by the number of days (& per person) to get a true sense of value when shopping and/or booking a cruise, so it would be helpful to MY crazy insane method to know the denominator for the above amounts.

Thank you in advance for your reply (is that a bribe?🤣) and for all you do!  It is appreciated!

Edited by McGarrett5oh
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, McGarrett5oh said:

1.  I don't believe 99% of the participants in this thread believe you to be crazy nor insane.  Based on the 2000+ replies in this thread and the number of people who now use a "Butler Letter", I say, "well done sir"

2.  I have an idea of what I want to tip and to whom, but since you are an experienced "tipper", it would be helpful to know if these amounts are based on a 7 day, 10 day or an X day cruise?   I like to divide costs (& extras) by the number of days (& per person) to get a true sense of value when shopping and/or booking a cruise, so it would be helpful to my crazy insane method to know the denominator for the above amount.

Thank you in advance for your reply (is that a bribe?🤣) and for all you do!  It is appreciated!

I am going to add to #1.
This is one of the few threads on Cruise Critic where you can ask a question or make a suggestion without fear of reprisal.  I think that's a testimony to the tone you set when you started this thread.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, mconthehighseas said:

I am going to add to #1.
This is one of the few threads on Cruise Critic where you can ask a question or make a suggestion without fear of reprisal.  I think that's a testimony to the tone you set when you started this thread.

@mconthehighseas Well thank you for the kind words.  I try REALLY hard to always be helpful, detailed and take the high road.  Not the easiest thing I have ever done.  

Cruise well and enjoy enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, McGarrett5oh said:

2.  I have an idea of what I want to tip and to whom, but since you are an experienced "tipper", it would be helpful to know if these amounts are based on a 7 day, 10 day or an X day cruise?   I like to divide costs (& extras) by the number of days (& per person) to get a true sense of value when shopping and/or booking a cruise, so it would be helpful to MY crazy insane method to know the denominator for the above amounts.

@McGarrett5oh Happy to comment.  Let say it is a 7-Day Cruise, on one of NCL's larger ships with a full Haven setup.  We also have to consider, more guest in the suite mine add to these amounts.  I am making an assumption of two guests in the Haven Suite. 

• Butler:  $21.00 per day for the Cabin.
  • Room Stewart: $10.00 per day for the Cabin.
  • Bar Tender: $5.00 per day for the cabin
  • Haven Desk: $12.00 per day for the cabin
  • Waiters: Based on service provided.

Those are my thoughts.  Not everyone's but my thoughts. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@McGarrett5oh Happy to comment.  Let say it is a 7-Day Cruise, on one of NCL's larger ships with a full Haven setup.  We also have to consider, more guest in the suite mine add to these amounts.  I am making an assumption of two guests in the Haven Suite. 

• Butler:  $21.00 per day for the Cabin.
  • Room Stewart: $10.00 per day for the Cabin.
  • Bar Tender: $5.00 per day for the cabin
  • Haven Desk: $12.00 per day for the cabin
  • Waiters: Based on service provided.

Those are my thoughts.  Not everyone's but my thoughts. 

Thanks for putting out some numbers.  I have one question though.  I am assuming that you make good use out of your butler.  I don't see us using the butler very much except maybe once or twice a day for afternoon snacks, but other than that, we prefer to unpack our own luggage and we are generally self sufficient.  Does that information affect your butler tip formula?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Thanks for putting out some numbers.  I have one question though.  I am assuming that you make good use out of your butler.  I don't see us using the butler very much except maybe once or twice a day for afternoon snacks, but other than that, we prefer to unpack our own luggage and we are generally self sufficient.  Does that information affect your butler tip formula?

@Daniel A No, the butlers are no part of the pre-paid gratuities program.  I also don't use them for pack and unpacking.  What I do if find out all the other things that will make my cruise enhanced with them.  The key to a butler is to let them know your likes, wants, needs and a little about you.  That is why I use a Butler Letter. They are trained to take that and run with it.  Butlers have made my cruise by treating me like a rockstar for 7-days a year. If you feel they are a waste and you will not use them, then reduce the amount.  The amount is subjective.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1