The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

I wanted to put my personal opinion from our Butler tipping, (should comment that as someone from the U.K.our tipping culture is different)

We were on Getaway for 16 nights, and our butler was very friendly.  We used him maybe 6 mornings for breakfast delivery split throughout the trip. Apart from that only other request was for some milk from the fridge a couple of times.

about a week in after say 3 deliveries I gave him $30 and then at the end we gave him $70.

my opinion is that that was an appropriate sum of money for a good butler who did the simple sporadic things we asked for.

People are different and that’s fine, but honestly I find some of the amounts being mentioned quite shocking 😊

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

So, while this outstanding thread created by @Sthrngary is about Haven “Secrets”, there is quite a bit of content focused on the Butler and the Butler Letter.  The letter concept rang true for me and, especially in our case, seemed like an effective way to help our Butler help us.  He would theoretically know a little bit about us, what we liked, any requests  and what our plans were.  

Acknowledging that the quality of the Haven butler varies, I am going to just share OUR impressions of OUR butler.  Your mileage may vary.

When we first met our Butler, introduced ourselves, told him about our plans and likes and acknowledged that embarkation day is very busy for him, we handed him our letter with the explanation that we thought it would be helpful to him and he could review it when things settled down.  We also acknowledged that we knew he was not part of the overall NCL gratuity program and that we were giving him (part of his) gratuity in the letter.  He almost had tears in his eyes saying that we were the first guests to tell him that we knew that fact.  So I thought, “wow”, this guy is going to go above and beyond for us and our relatively simple requests.

As I tried to explain earlier, he also told us that this should be an easier cruise for the Butlers because there were few if any children on board and how the children typically add a lot of time consuming activities for the Butler.  He said he had a total of 10 suites to service (the steward had 8).  

In review, the four of us determined that our Butler was nothing more than a nicely dressed food delivery person.  Other than storing our suitcases and water (more on that later), he promptly delivered breakfast room service as ordered on time,  He consistently delivered afternoon snacks and got us fresh ice.   Perhaps when we weren’t in the suite, he may have restocked the Nespresso pods and the carafes of iced tea and cranberry juice inside the refrigerator.  

As previously shared, since we had 2 overnights and a late night departure (23:00) on our itinerary,  we had specific port plans, many with early departures and late returns, that we had simply laid out on a separate sheet of paper with requests for snacks that we might be able to take off the ship with us (for long days).  Our hope was that he would be cognizant of our plans and perhaps suggest room service timing or dinner options when we returned.  Perhaps he would delay delivery of the afternoon snacks to later in the evening so they wouldn’t sit out and spoil or harden when we wouldn’t return for several hours.   

I know this is another first world problem.  I probably wouldn’t be sharing this or have disappointment except for the fact that several times he asked if we had “excursion plans” that day or the next day.  We made specific requests for the snacks, which he didn’t follow and had to be reminded many times what we had asked for.   So we reverted to tell him what we were doing and wanted, which he responded to fairly well.  

I know some will chime in and say that we should have dispensed with the letter and just talked to the Butler.  No objections to that.  I must say, however, that we didn’t see our Butler very often.  We saw our room steward much more frequently in the hallway.  We did call him a few times and he was responsive.

Perhaps my expectations for the Butler & the letter were set too high, but as I stated earlier, he didn’t show us anything beyond the ability to deliver food.  Nonetheless, it didn’t negatively impact our Haven experience and gave us some fodder to discuss among ourselves. 

Another note on the Butler to conclude.  On Embarkation Day, most of the Butlers on the Prima are involved in getting Haven guests onto the ship and up the elevator.  It appears they also have luggage delivery responsibilities.   So don’t be surprised if you don’t see your Butler until late afternoon.  

I know I sound like I’m complaining.  Trust me, I really am just sharing our experience and some perspective.  Maybe it’s our fault.   Again, our disappointment in the Butler (and the Concierge – there’s a tease for my next post), didn’t negatively impact our cruise.  Perhaps he could have just helped make it even better.

Watch this space.....

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, McGarrett5oh said:

So, while this outstanding thread created by @Sthrngary is about Haven “Secrets”, there is quite a bit of content focused on the Butler and the Butler Letter.  The letter concept rang true for me and, especially in our case, seemed like an effective way to help our Butler help us.  He would theoretically know a little bit about us, what we liked, any requests  and what our plans were.  

Acknowledging that the quality of the Haven butler varies, I am going to just share OUR impressions of OUR butler.  Your mileage may vary.

When we first met our Butler, introduced ourselves, told him about our plans and likes and acknowledged that embarkation day is very busy for him, we handed him our letter with the explanation that we thought it would be helpful to him and he could review it when things settled down.  We also acknowledged that we knew he was not part of the overall NCL gratuity program and that we were giving him (part of his) gratuity in the letter.  He almost had tears in his eyes saying that we were the first guests to tell him that we knew that fact.  So I thought, “wow”, this guy is going to go above and beyond for us and our relatively simple requests.

As I tried to explain earlier, he also told us that this should be an easier cruise for the Butlers because there were few if any children on board and how the children typically add a lot of time consuming activities for the Butler.  He said he had a total of 10 suites to service (the steward had 8).  

In review, the four of us determined that our Butler was nothing more than a nicely dressed food delivery person.  Other than storing our suitcases and water (more on that later), he promptly delivered breakfast room service as ordered on time,  He consistently delivered afternoon snacks and got us fresh ice.   Perhaps when we weren’t in the suite, he may have restocked the Nespresso pods and the carafes of iced tea and cranberry juice inside the refrigerator.  

As previously shared, since we had 2 overnights and a late night departure (23:00) on our itinerary,  we had specific port plans, many with early departures and late returns, that we had simply laid out on a separate sheet of paper with requests for snacks that we might be able to take off the ship with us (for long days).  Our hope was that he would be cognizant of our plans and perhaps suggest room service timing or dinner options when we returned.  Perhaps he would delay delivery of the afternoon snacks to later in the evening so they wouldn’t sit out and spoil or harden when we wouldn’t return for several hours.   

I know this is another first world problem.  I probably wouldn’t be sharing this or have disappointment except for the fact that several times he asked if we had “excursion plans” that day or the next day.  We made specific requests for the snacks, which he didn’t follow and had to be reminded many times what we had asked for.   So we reverted to tell him what we were doing and wanted, which he responded to fairly well.  

I know some will chime in and say that we should have dispensed with the letter and just talked to the Butler.  No objections to that.  I must say, however, that we didn’t see our Butler very often.  We saw our room steward much more frequently in the hallway.  We did call him a few times and he was responsive.

Perhaps my expectations for the Butler & the letter were set too high, but as I stated earlier, he didn’t show us anything beyond the ability to deliver food.  Nonetheless, it didn’t negatively impact our Haven experience and gave us some fodder to discuss among ourselves. 

Another note on the Butler to conclude.  On Embarkation Day, most of the Butlers on the Prima are involved in getting Haven guests onto the ship and up the elevator.  It appears they also have luggage delivery responsibilities.   So don’t be surprised if you don’t see your Butler until late afternoon.  

I know I sound like I’m complaining.  Trust me, I really am just sharing our experience and some perspective.  Maybe it’s our fault.   Again, our disappointment in the Butler (and the Concierge – there’s a tease for my next post), didn’t negatively impact our cruise.  Perhaps he could have just helped make it even better.

Watch this space.....

@McGarrett5oh You write and explain things so well.  You were fair and balanced.  Thank you for taking the time.  The creation of the Butler Letter should never have been needed.  Like most things, it just happened.  It all started with several butlers, on Mainstream Cruise brand, in the VIP area's like the Haven and Retreat.  The Butlers were all very nice but they were also Hit/Miss.  My goal was to control the best I could to gain more hits. Everything in my cruising life focuses on enhancing my vacation experience

For me, the improvement was immediate.  All I could ask for really, enhancement.  THEN something happened that I rarely talk about.  I went on a cruise in a smaller ship, in the Luxury Category in a Penthouse Suite with a butler.  His name was Egin.  It became instantly clear that the quality of crew members, personalized service, and enhanced experience was indeed possible. The service went from somewhat generic, to very personalized.

I gave Egin a Butler Letter and he was initially confused.  Instead of opening it and reading it, he smiled warmly at me while saying,

"Mr. Gary, would it be alright if I share some of my services with you and how all the technology works in the suite?" 

"I would also like to make you a drink to enjoy during my presentation. Is that OK?"

That is when I realized that their was a difference in quality for butlers.  Remember, he had not even opened the Butler Letter yet.  I sat down with my lovely bride, he got me a Vodka on the rocks and my wife a glass of white wine.  I started to relax knowing I was in good hands.  When his 15 minute presentation was over, he left.  Five minutes later, a knock at the door.  Egin had my letter open and said,

"This is the first time in 15 years anyone has ever written a letter like this for me.  It makes my job so much easier.  There is no need to have provided a tip but it is very much appreciated.  Here is a bottle of your favorite Vodka and a bottle of wine for your wife.  Thank you for taking the time to communicate with me like this".

That week was luxury at its best and mostly because of Egin. This experience changed the wording and reduced the complexity of future butler letters. My next cruise will be on Oceania Cruises, a sister brand to NCL.  Oceania is Premium-Plus/Luxury as a category.  I will report back on my experiences.  

Again, thank you so much for taking the time and doing your review so well.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@McGarrett5oh You write and explain things so well.  You were fair and balanced.  Thank you for taking the time. 

@Sthrngary  Thank you for the kind words.  I feel that if you can't be constructive, why take the time.  I appreciate your point on the Premium-Plus differences and we should not expect the same from a mainstream cruise line, even in the Haven.  That said, since NCL owns Oceania and Regent, you'd think that perhaps SOME of the training elements they give to the Premium Plus Butlers could trickle down to the Haven Butlers.  I see the shortcomings in our Butler as a training issue.

Your reply got me thinking about something I didn't mention in my review of our suite.  Since I had done so much research, I really didn't press our Butler on the cursorary overview he gave us.  One thing that frustrates Prima Haven reviewers in how the lighting switches work in the suite.  Our Butler could have been well served to explain that to us.  

Anyway, thank you and I look forward to reading about your Oceania experience!

4 minutes ago, McGarrett5oh said:

@Sthrngary  Thank you for the kind words.  I feel that if you can't be constructive, why take the time.  I appreciate your point on the Premium-Plus differences and we should not expect the same from a mainstream cruise line, even in the Haven.  That said, since NCL owns Oceania and Regent, you'd think that perhaps SOME of the training elements they give to the Premium Plus Butlers could trickle down to the Haven Butlers.  I see the shortcomings in our Butler as a training issue.

Your reply got me thinking about something I didn't mention in my review of our suite.  Since I had done so much research, I really didn't press our Butler on the cursorary overview he gave us.  One thing that frustrates Prima Haven reviewers in how the lighting switches work in the suite.  Our Butler could have been well served to explain that to us.  

@McGarrett5oh Egin was on Crystal Cruises, not Oceania just as a clarification.  I could not agree with you more on the Training issue.  Also, it seems, even when a brand is in the same company, it is as if they don't talk or leverage each other.  That is kind of a shame and not very efficient.  On the technology, yep, a little bit of explanation can go a long, long way.  

A side note, on the Luxury and Ultra-Luxury lines/brands, the Butlers have less staterooms and most of their duties are focused on the guest.  On NCL, Celebrity and other Mainstream Brands, the butlers have a lot more cabins and especially on day one are doing things outside the clients personalized needs.  

I hope we cruise together sometime soon, we both like the same things.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, McGarrett5oh said:

After ten days in the Breakaway 2BR Family Villa, I don't think we ever got the hang of the light switches.  Maybe that could be a request added into the Butler letter, so we don't forget to ask.  Sometimes when we wanted to go to bed at night, it would take quite a while to figure out how to get the rooms dark  🙄

We didn't need to ask the butler to deliver snacks.  @Sthrngary took care of that for us.  We would bring almond croissants back for a snack to have with our afternoon coffee!

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, McGarrett5oh said:

im just generally interested but was trying to read back and understand the main areas of your disappointment, I have seen about the fact you listed you holiday itinerary up front and was disappointed when items were seemingly forgotten.  Was that the basis of the dissatisfaction?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rattla said:

im just generally interested but was trying to read back and understand the main areas of your disappointment, I have seen about the fact you listed you holiday itinerary up front and was disappointed when items were seemingly forgotten.  Was that the basis of the dissatisfaction?

@rattla I know @McGarrett5oh will address your question on a direct response.  I am share some thoughts on my own.  My career was based on the study of the "Luxury Client".  What makes them tick.  How are their needs different for other clients.  Is it all about money or having lots of it.  Is it all about something else.  Something that is available with or without great wealth.  What did these clients crave more than anything.  It was a very interesting part of my career and one that was eye opening. 

The simple answer was surprisingly, "Time". Luxury clients valued time over money.  Where I often say, my quest is to "Enhance my Cruising Experience". A true Luxury Client says, "My Cruising Experience will be Enhanced by the best use of my time."  A GREAT butler will uncover what is the most important thing they can do to provide you with the experience you are looking for.  My needs and your needs might be different so it takes more than a Tuxedo to be great as a Butler. 

If I pay a premium, for a suite, in a special exclusive area on a ship with a butler, I have different expectation focused on my maximum enjoyment of my time.  Example, when I leave me suite, I want my stateroom cleaned.  A good butler is on that.  To help them, sometimes I will give them my schedule which takes time create however I know it will enhance my experience.  If the butler does not utilize the tool I provided, it makes me say, "Why even have this premium benefit if it is so standardized that personalized service is not part of it."  The alternative is when I am in a regular stateroom, it seems every time I come back to the stateroom, the room steward is cleaning my room.  I rarely have an issue with that because it is just the way it is.  No premium paid so personalized service is not on the table. 

When the time spent creating assistance for your butler is not respected or utilized by that butler, you are disappointed.  If every request, even the simple ones are a "NO", vs let me find a way to work this out for you, you are disappointed.  If the butler is happy not to find ways to create personalized delight because they are just over worked, it is disappointment.  That is when folks say, "We had a butler but rarely used them."  What they should have said was, "We had a butler but they really did not uncovers ways to enhance our journey."

Training helps however one would expect that a Butler, in a VIP area of a cruise line, would have had all the training needed to effectively do their job.  So the need for training is an excuse to cut the brand some slack.  If you pay the premium, you expect the service.  Simple as that.  

This was my take and I still have faith that NCL and other brands can find a way to make the benefit of a real butler enhance their guest experience.  I look forward to the day when the "Butler Letter" is completely unneeded.   That would be a good day.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

@rattla I know @McGarrett5oh will address your question on a direct response.  I am share some thoughts on my own.  My career was based on the study of the "Luxury Client".  What makes them tick.  How are their needs different for other clients.  Is it all about money or having lots of it.  Is it all about something else.  Something that is available with or without great wealth.  What did these clients crave more than anything.  It was a very interesting part of my career and one that was eye opening. 

The simple answer was surprisingly, "Time". Luxury clients valued time over money.  Where I often say, my quest is to "Enhance my Cruising Experience". A true Luxury Client says, "My Cruising Experience will be Enhanced by the best use of my time."  A GREAT butler will uncover what is the most important thing they can do to provide you with the experience you are looking for.  My needs and your needs might be different so it takes more than a Tuxedo to be great as a Butler. 

If I pay a premium, for a suite, in a special exclusive area on a ship with a butler, I have different expectation focused on my maximum enjoyment of my time.  Example, when I leave me suite, I want my stateroom cleaned.  A good butler is on that.  To help them, sometimes I will give them my schedule which takes time create however I know it will enhance my experience.  If the butler does not utilize the tool I provided, it makes me say, "Why even have this premium benefit if it is so standardized that personalized service is not part of it."  The alternative is when I am in a regular stateroom, it seems every time I come back to the stateroom, the room steward is cleaning my room.  I rarely have an issue with that because it is just the way it is.  No premium paid so personalized service is not on the table. 

When the time spent creating assistance for your butler is not respected or utilized by that butler, you are disappointed.  If every request, even the simple ones are a "NO", vs let me find a way to work this out for you, you are disappointed.  If the butler is happy not to find ways to create personalized delight because they are just over worked, it is disappointment.  That is when folks say, "We had a butler but rarely used them."  What they should have said was, "We had a butler but they really did not uncovers ways to enhance our journey."

Training helps however one would expect that a Butler, in a VIP area of a cruise line, would have had all the training needed to effectively do their job.  So the need for training is an excuse to cut the brand some slack.  If you pay the premium, you expect the service.  Simple as that.  

This was my take and I still have faith that NCL and other brands can find a way to make the benefit of a real butler enhance their guest experience.  I look forward to the day when the "Butler Letter" is completely unneeded.   That would be a good day.

You are right about the time factor, and a good butler should work to make your time onboard all about relaxing and enjoying your limited vacation time.

The huge difference I’ve seen between my very first Haven cruise in 2015 and my last in April of this year, I saw a huge difference in that feeling of the butler was doing everything they could to enhance my trip and I blame the cutbacks at NCL for part of it. More cabins per butler means less time to actually stop a minute and say hello, and ask if you have everything you need. That genuine sense that they were there to please.

On our first Haven cruise our butler was constantly asking about our day whenever he saw us and doing special little things like filling our bathtub with water and rose petals. Taking my husband’s dinner jacket straight to the laundry to get it pressed and having it back in our room in 3 hours.

The concierge saw us in the buffet one evening while I was getting a crepe and chided me about not letting the Haven staff get it for me (miss you Adrian!)

On this last Haven cruise we never saw our butler until the second day and not till I had asked the concierge about that did they have her come to the Haven restaurant to meet us. Then we only saw her again on the final sea day of the cruise.

On this last cruise our friends also staying in the Haven had a butler that just ignored most of their requests and when they asked for half an half told them they could get some themselves in the buffet.

THAT would have never happened in 2015. That is an amenity you are paying extra for my opinion, and why I feel like the inflated prices for the Haven are no longer worth the the going price for the services received.

So like the candy bar that’s no longer a dollar, but now $1.25 and  5oz instead of 8oz, the Haven experience is no longer a good value to me. If a bargain comes along I would think about taking it, for the room size and Haven complex, but I’ll have much lower expectations of the service I’ll receive.

For now I’m happy with my club balcony suites and Vibe beach club passes.

At the price point I feel I’m getting more value for my money.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, justhappy said:

So like the candy bar that’s no longer a dollar, but now $1.25 and  5oz instead of 8oz, the Haven experience is no longer a good value to me.

@justhappy Thanks for your comment.  Things they are a changing.  I have done Club Balcony Suites with the Vibe.  I call that Haven Lite.  I usually added in the "Free at Sea PLUS".  I enjoyed it very much.  However, it did not compare to the Haven Experience for me.  If was good, it was a value, it was different.  The point of my post was I can clearly see why some were disappointed with their butler experience.  I hope NCL will hear our thoughts.  I also look for a opportunity to stay in the Haven.  Those opportunities although rare, do exist.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justhappy said:

On this last Haven cruise we never saw our butler until the second day and not till I had asked the concierge about that did they have her come to the Haven restaurant to meet us. Then we only saw her again on the final sea day of the cruise.

On this last cruise our friends also staying in the Haven had a butler that just ignored most of their requests and when they asked for half an half told them they could get some themselves in the buffet.

Other than reflecting these shortcomings in the post-cruise evaluation, who would one speak to while still onboard?  They really should have a card in the Haven Suites giving a telephone number to call to speak with a "Haven Manager."  Even if it is just a manager working in the Hotel Services Department.  For the prices charged for Haven occupancy, there should be one person who has the sign on his/her desk which reads "The Buck Stops Here."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, justhappy said:

I think that would’ve been the quickest way to ensure a zero tip from us. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Other than reflecting these shortcomings in the post-cruise evaluation, who would one speak to while still onboard?  They really should have a card in the Haven Suites giving a telephone number to call to speak with a "Haven Manager."  Even if it is just a manager working in the Hotel Services Department.  For the prices charged for Haven occupancy, there should be one person who has the sign on his/her desk which reads "The Buck Stops Here."

I'd start with the haven concierge then if no results the ships hotel director.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

the answer to that is the Concierge. The concierge is responsible for the entire Haven (maybe except for the Haven Restaurant?), and the boss of the butlers. I think the Concierge reports directly to the Hotel Director.  The Haven Restaurant Matre D might report to the Food and Beverage Director instead of the Concierge, but they should work closely together. 

• Like 1

We've had some lackluster butlers and some excellent butlers.  And I understand that if you're not happy with the butler's service that you can have a chat with the Concierge.  The problem there for me is it would make me then feel very uncomfortable around the butler for the rest of the cruise.  I guess we could ask for a different butler but that might not be possible.

At this point we just don't expect much from the ones who are lackluster and reflect our feeling with their tip.  We try to make our requests very specific and if they still don't deliver good service we just let it go and not let it interfere with enjoying our vacation.  We really don't ask the butler for much so a bad butler really doesn't affect our trip that much.  Although I do admit that a great butler does enhance the experience.

Edited by goldmom
spelling
  • Like 3

"That is an amenity you are paying extra for my opinion, and why I feel like the inflated prices for the Haven are no longer worth the the going price for the services received."

We currently agree. Sailed Haven Joy with P+ July 2022, March 2023 and July 2023. When we disembarked most recently, my husband said to me "I feel ripped off". For the price we paid and compared to previous 2, he was right. The P+ is now a joke. Many other posts about no Veuve and Rose champagne only was a big factor. We got off in Port Canaveral went to Walmart and bought our own. So on top of what we already paid to NCL, we laid out more money for our vacation happiness. The Beverage Manager was useless. The butler is a factor too. #1 was a dud. #2 was ok. #3 was good.

Cancelled 2 sailings next year when we got home. Staying away until things improve.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

@justhappy Thanks for your comment.  Things they are a changing.  I have done Club Balcony Suites with the Vibe.  I call that Haven Lite.  I usually added in the "Free at Sea PLUS".  I enjoyed it very much.  However, it did not compare to the Haven Experience for me.  If was good, it was a value, it was different.  The point of my post was I can clearly see why some were disappointed with their butler experience.  I hope NCL will hear our thoughts.  I also look for a opportunity to stay in the Haven.  Those opportunities although rare, do exist.  

Hey Gary, I think I’m the one who originally coined that Haven Lite, but you gave it a life of its own! Thank you!

Agree about adding the free at Sea plus, 

with that it definitely makes a cruise Haven Lite 😁

I think part of my problem with the current valuation comes from knowing back in 2015 we got the Haven Courtyard Penthouse on the newest ship in the fleet for 5k total and that included $300 obc, a truly unlimited drink package and specialty dining package (no limits on number of dinners) with prepaid service fees and no gratuities charged on the Free at Sea packages! This was booking directly through NCL.

I know prices go up over the years but all those included perks went away too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, justhappy said:

Hey Gary, I think I’m the one who originally coined that Haven Lite, but you gave it a life of its own! Thank you!

@justhappy LOL, I will give you credit for that name from this point forward. I agree, raising prices and lowering amenities is not the way for great brands to go.  That is why we the consumer have choices.  

• Like 1

Just got off the Encore today and was in the Haven for the first time. Before we went the wife was looking forward towards priority boarding and the larger space (forward facing penthouse) . The room did not disappoint even with the complex lighting arrangement and the too bouncy self closing drawers that we fought all week. Boarding went smooth up to the Haven part when everyone in an aft or forward penthouse got their keycard rejected on the gangway followed by the whole computer system crashing. We were all sent back to the Haven Boarding room to await new keycards...and waited while the room filled up. Eventually we had to be taken manually across the gangway checkpoint and had new cards issued in the Haven. We had another non-Haven party with us who managed to board and eat lunch before we even touched the ship. 

The Haven restaurant was good but we only ate 3 breakfasts and 2 dinners there. We tended to sleep in late and go to lunch as the first meal or ate on shore or grabbed lighter fare in the Horizon observation lounge where we spent a lot of time. That's a great place to read , relax and watch the whales go by...with a few drinks along the way. 

I did use a butler letter with the preferences like pillows and snack types and a pitcher of cream for coffee and my keto shakes. That worked out well and we did not pre-tip. We had numerous room service orders and the only one we felt bad about he having to do was that delivery of the god-awful tasteless dried-out "anniversary" cake (NCL - why bother doing this if even you arent going to try and give things out that is probably the worst food item on board) from dinner at  Los Lobos . We ended up tipping $150 to the butler, $100 to the concierge and an extra $60 to the very helpful room steward. We weren't planning to use the concierge much but we had to enlist their help in dealing with a noise issue from an adjacent cabin who apparently was going to make everyone's life hell after they did not get their upgrade. We had a cabin between us and them and it was like a herd of elephants on Sunday afternoon/evening. So we had the power of the Haven to bring the hammer down. Luckily,  that solved it and we had the concierge and various officers check in periodically with us if all was well. 

Overall, the experience was good and may try again if we can get something reasonable and maybe within the complex next time. Being outside, you tend not to use it as much ( why go up 5 decks to just go down to deck 4 to get off). Since any other cruises will be at the Platinum level now, we may stick with club balconies and Vibe as a reasonable compromise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@justhappy LOL, I will give you credit for that name from this point forward. I agree, raising prices and lowering amenities is not the way for great brands to go.  That is why we the consumer have choices.  

Thanks, but I don’t want credit, you have given Haven Lite (hey, you need to trademark that😉) the recognition as an alternative to folks who don’t want to pay Haven prices🥂

And thanks for starting that Haven pricing thread, I’ll keep an eye on that one.

2 hours ago, goldmom said:

At this point we just don't expect much from the ones who are lackluster and reflect our feeling with their tip.  We try to make our requests very specific and if they still don't deliver good service we just let it go and not let it interfere with enjoying our vacation. 

I completely understand your approach, and honestly for minor things I let things slide, as nobody is perfect and mistakes can happen or someone can have a bad day. But if there is a structural issue and certain individuals are not able to do their job or worst, a butler as an attitude, then I feel it should be reported. 

Unfortunately most people do not voice their dissatisfaction directly and are only very vocal on social media after the fact and anonymously. By the way, this not exclusive to the Haven, but a general issue in the service industry.

There are managers on the ship that can do something about these situations and try to resolve issues, but if its not reported then no one is aware at that moment. Trust me, it will not only negatively affect your cruise, but also other fellow passengers that are exposed to the same butler or bad service. 

Please don't get me wrong, I am not someone that complains or let things affect us quickly, but we usually address things right away, and from our experience with NCL , the staff was able to resolve issues right away and to our satisfaction. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1