Sommeliers?

JahHaus

3 minutes ago, bnurick said:

My experience is they are not certified in the series of courses and tests.  Usually are not versed in New World either.  You should just do your homework and narrow to 5 wines and stick to what works.  Also, bring onboard your two allotted bottles to reduce counterparty risks…

I am I know what I like person

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bnurick said:

Usually are not versed in New World either.

With the exception of some Italians, most of their by the glass wines are New World. Did you feel they didn't know their bottle wines? The bottle list is pretty extensive and hard to follow unless you just know a wine you're looking for. I'd certainly hope they'd know the by the glass wines as those are all in the packages!

47 minutes ago, bnurick said:

My experience is they are not certified in the series of courses and tests.  Usually are not versed in New World either.  You should just do your homework and narrow to 5 wines and stick to what works.  Also, bring onboard your two allotted bottles to reduce counterparty risks…

I usually do bring 2 bottles onboard of an excellent cab from my own wine collection which I save for dinner even when  I purchase the beverage package.  I'll be booking an 11 night Hawaii cruise later today which includes the Classic package still on the fence if its worth upgrading to premium. 

10 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I usually do bring 2 bottles onboard of an excellent cab from my own wine collection which I save for dinner even when  I purchase the beverage package.  I'll be booking an 11 night Hawaii cruise later today which includes the Classic package still on the fence if its worth upgrading to premium. 

Bon Voyage...🥂

On 2/13/2022 at 2:39 PM, JahHaus said:

Does Celebrity still have dedicated sommeliers on board, or, are drinks and wine at dinner served by the same waiter?  

On our recent Edge cruise all bottles of wine we ordered in Luminae, Blu, and Fine Cut were ordered through and opened and poured by the designated sommelier. In speaking with these folks they all seemed to had a decent knowledge of wine although I would be surprised if any of them were officially certified. Good enough though to help you navigate the wine list if you need help.

22 hours ago, markeb said:

With the exception of some Italians, most of their by the glass wines are New World. Did you feel they didn't know their bottle wines? The bottle list is pretty extensive and hard to follow unless you just know a wine you're looking for. I'd certainly hope they'd know the by the glass wines as those are all in the packages!

I read Wine Advocate to stay up on wines and go through the wine list before I board to have around 5 bottles to request (2 Cabs, 2 Blends and 1 Pinot Noir).  I find in asking questions they know little about new world and have a level of knowledge of old world.  I think some of it is they are not Certified Sommeliers completing levels 1-4 where studying all regions and styles.  We find we only do bottles with the 20% discount.

21 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I like bringing two bottles for certain nights.  We do premium as we hit the Martini Bar, order Champagne and I like the older port wines.  I guess I’ve never done the math, but should…

6 hours ago, bnurick said:

I like bringing two bottles for certain nights.  We do premium as we hit the Martini Bar, order Champagne and I like the older port wines.  I guess I’ve never done the math, but should…

I always do the math, its my background, and it's worth upgrading to premium even if you just like the sparkling water like I do you will break even just on that alone.  I love the 25th anniversary and its priced at $16 so with the upgrade to premium will cost $1.20.