Sommeliers?

JahHaus

4 minutes ago, JahHaus said:

Does Celebrity still have dedicated sommeliers on board, or, are drinks and wine at dinner served by the same waiter?  

Drinks are served by the wait staff. Yes they have 'so called' sommeliers onboard. Most are not that knowledgeable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Drinks are served by the wait staff. Yes they have 'so called' sommeliers onboard. Most are not that knowledgeable. 

14 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

And many sommeliers are excellent.   Find anexcellent one and they can tell you about bargains on the Celebrity wine list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We’ve been on the Edge in a SS, the Apex in an aft-facing veranda, the Connie in both a SS and AQ, and now the Reflection in a SS since cruising started back up. On every cruise, regardless of the dining room (except for the Oceanview Cafe), we’ve always had a sommelier in each venue.

Now, as far as how much they know, I can’t answer that as my tastes our limited when it comes to dinner wines, so I’m pretty easy to please. I basically want the best quality of German Riesling or Moscato they have and every once in awhile I’ll have an auslese for a dessert wine. 😎

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

And many sommeliers are excellent.   Find anexcellent one and they can tell you about bargains on the Celebrity wine list.

Yes some are excellent like one lady on the Reflection a few years ago she was European but haven't found a great once since. 

21 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Yes some are excellent like one lady on the Reflection a few years ago she was European but haven't found a great once since. 

I'm sorry to hear that. The several I've dealt with over the last several months have been excellent. 

• Like 1

On our Reflection December B2B had Siraz as our sommelier in Luminae.  Since i had asked him to select the pairing for my entree's he took the time to explain each wine, the region it was from, and the flavors and notes of each.  He was very knowledgeable and the only time he repeated a wine was at my request.  I like Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon with my steaks.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

On our Reflection December B2B had Siraz as our sommelier in Luminae.  Since i had asked him to select the pairing for my entree's he took the time to explain each wine, the region it was from, and the flavors and notes of each.  He was very knowledgeable and the only time he repeated a wine was at my request.  I like Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon with my steaks.  

Yeah they gifted me 2 bottles of Decoy last week. Saving one for tomorrow's Valentines Day dinner. I forgot how much I like it although it tastes better drinking it on a cruise. 😆 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We had Siraz on a re-position cruise from San Juan to Bayonne. He was very willing to share his knowledge with us if we asked for it. Well, we asked for it and we received wines from the Celebrity collection that were not simply on the Premium Beverage package. He was very comfortable in recommending wines that matched perfectly with our meal for the evening. It was an experience we will never forget. We would be over the moon if we sailed with Siraz again.

Randy

• Like 2

Randy,  you have not lived until you have sailed with Maggie, the sommelier we had in Luminae on perhaps our first 2 cruises on the Summit.  She was absolutely amazing in every way.  Everyone after that paled in comparison.  Especially on our last cruise on the Connie. We made his cruise because we ordered Caymus most nights so there was nothing to suggest. Maggie was a gem and is right up there with Gede and Russell.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, goldsmip115 said:

Randy,  you have not lived until you have sailed with Maggie, the sommelier we had in Luminae on perhaps our first 2 cruises on the Summit.  She was absolutely amazing in every way.  Everyone after that paled in comparison.  Especially on our last cruise on the Connie. We made his cruise because we ordered Caymus most nights so there was nothing to suggest. Maggie was a gem and is right up there with Gede and Russell.

Is Maggie the tall attractive European sommelier? I'm sure that's the one we had on Reflection 

39 minutes ago, goldsmip115 said:

Trish

I’ve heard many good things about Maggie, but have never had the pleasure of sailing with her.

Is she still with Celebrity?

Randy

48 minutes ago, goldsmip115 said:

Trish

When we sailed in November, Milo was a little “by the book” in recommendations off the Premium Beverage package for about 2 days. After he got to know us by Day 3, I didn’t see a name from the Premium wine list. I asked him to look in the deepest, darkest corners of the wine cellar, for special wines, and from that day on, we both had a lot of fun.

Randy

• Like 1

Ah, Randy, I did not probe Milo.  I never had to do that with Maggie.  She was so amazing at just making great suggestions.  Milo did not seem to have that depth of knowledge nor interest.  I have asked about Maggie.  I was told on one of my last Summit cruises that she and her husband had moved to perhaps Silhouette. She said that they both wanted to go to a larger ship.  He was a wine steward in Blu.

1 hour ago, goldsmip115 said:

Ah, Randy, I did not probe Milo.  I never had to do that with Maggie.  She was so amazing at just making great suggestions.  Milo did not seem to have that depth of knowledge nor interest.  I have asked about Maggie.  I was told on one of my last Summit cruises that she and her husband had moved to perhaps Silhouette. She said that they both wanted to go to a larger ship.  He was a wine steward in Blu.

We may find out in March when we board Silhouette.

Randy

Looking at the OP's actual question, I'm pretty sure all alcoholic drinks are served by the "sommeliers", and not the waiters. I've actually only eaten in Blu and Luminae, and that's how it worked there. But that could be because we asked for a sommelier...

3 minutes ago, markeb said:

Looking at the OP's actual question, I'm pretty sure all alcoholic drinks are served by the "sommeliers", and not the waiters. I've actually only eaten in Blu and Luminae, and that's how it worked there. But that could be because we asked for a sommelier...

We've had waiters and assistant waiters take bar orders and bring drinks from the bar while we were dining in Luminae. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

We've had waiters and assistant waiters take bar orders and bring drinks from the bar while we were dining in Luminae. 

Interesting. I may have brought a drink in and only ordered wine. Or my memory could be getting really bad! 

Edited by markeb

1 hour ago, markeb said:

I could certainly be wrong, though it's very rare, but would not be the first time 🤣I'd bet that the "sommeliers" on ships are not certified, may know some about wine but...I never ask them for suggestions, I know what I like and just go from there and thank them for their services.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I could certainly be wrong, though it's very rare, but would not be the first time 🤣I'd bet that the "sommeliers" on ships are not certified, may know some about wine but...I never ask them for suggestions, I know what I like and just go from there and thank them for their services.

Pretty sure they're not either. But I'll give them at least one shot on knowing their wines and their dishes better than I do. A good landside restaurant I'd pretty much NEVER pick off the wine list. A good, true sommelier knows their wines and their chef's dishes...

And I've had a LOT of wines that way that would not have fit the "i know what I like" list! It's part of what makes wine fun.

• Like 2

My experience is they are not certified in the series of courses and tests.  Usually are not versed in New World either.  You should just do your homework and narrow to 5 wines and stick to what works.  Also, bring onboard your two allotted bottles to reduce counterparty risks…

• Like 2