On Board the Viking Sky - Athens-Rome Feb 12-19

NewSalty

So I figured people might want to hear about some right-now experiences with Viking during COVID.  I will preface this write up with the warning that this is our first Viking cruise, so some of my expectations may be a little off-base.  (Although, if they are, it's all because of my thorough reading of this forum!)

1) COVID Testing at Embarkation: as recently announced, they bundled us very quickly on to the ship, where we took our in-cabin PCR spit test. The process went exceptionally smoothly, although the post-test wait time (5 hrs) was longer than the 4 hours promised in the letter. (But less than the 6 hours they told us when we got here.)

2) Passenger Load: they told us about 350 on board. It's very obvious that there are many more crew than passengers - you always have somebody waiting to get you that next drink or whatever.

3) Daily PCR spit tests and temperature checks: you get a new vial each night, spit into it each morning. Each day you also have to do a temperature check at one of the automated testers sprinkled throughout the ship, plus full out a simple 4 question online health survey.

4) Masking: required when indoors. Exceptions: your cabin, eating/drinking, pools. People have been very good about it. Also- you will need to wear a contact-tracing disk. It's pretty minimal, and you can keep it in your pocket if you like.

5) Excursions: Viking only - no independent. N95 masks required on excursions.

6) Dining: a couple of oddities here. First, they don't want to seat you randomly with another couple. (This is one of our favorite things about cruising...)  Second, they are "requiring" reservations for The Restaurant. (I believe this is so they can spread the load out across the evening so as to maintain social distancing. But I also believe that if you just showed up, they sure wouldn't turn you away) With the light passenger loading, dining reservations have been extremely easy to come by.

To my knowledge, we've not had any onboard cases. I do not know if anyone was refused boarding.  The inconveniences caused by COVID have been minor (if you can deal with wearing a mask). The crew all seem extremely happy to be sailing again. I'm more than happy with the trade-offs, although I realize Viking cannot continue sailing at 40% loading.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and opinions with us.  We are scheduled on the Sky, same cruise, in May and I am aware that some of the protocols may change by then but I am curious to hear about the excursions, etc.  Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

Hello! We are on board for Sky on May 14. It appears you are also! We would love to meet you! My husband Bruce and myself Andrea. 
I am so glad you found me. I have so tried to use this website to reply and comment. With no success? But something I did triggered a response from you? Thank you! Looking so very forward to our cruise to so many wonderful places in 3 months from today! Lovely to hear from you! Andrea

17 hours ago, NewSalty said:

So I figured people might want to hear about some right-now experiences with Viking during COVID. 

So glad you're doing this! Does Viking supply the N95s?  We recently bought a whole bunch of the Korean KF94s, which are reported to be really good. They're much more comfortable than the N95 as well. 

First, they don't want to seat you randomly with another couple. (This is one of our favorite things about cruising...) 

Works for me - would much rather always eat by ourselves anyway. 

To my knowledge, we've not had any onboard cases.

Keep us posted. Sure hope it stays that way. 

hey told us about 350 on board

Wow!!!  That is really reduced capacity. We're booked on the Chairman's cruise in May - be interesting to see how many of the 2019 Sky guests decide to go. By then, if covid continues on the decline, I expect pax nunbers to pick up. 

Questions:  is Viking providing individual shampoos, conditioner or shower with large refillable bottles?  Where are you docking in Venice given the government ban on cruise ships.  Thanks!

15 minutes ago, PRH said:

Questions:  is Viking providing individual shampoos, conditioner or shower with large refillable bottles?  Where are you docking in Venice given the government ban on cruise ships.  Thanks!

Small, individual bottles.  Each lasts about a week IME.

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

So glad you're doing this! Does Viking supply the N95s?  We recently bought a whole bunch of the Korean KF94s, which are reported to be really good. They're much more comfortable than the N95 as well. 

Works for me - would much rather always eat by ourselves anyway. 

Keep us posted. Sure hope it stays that way. 

Wow!!!  That is really reduced capacity. We're booked on the Chairman's cruise in May - be interesting to see how many of the 2019 Sky guests decide to go. By then, if covid continues on the decline, I expect pax nunbers to pick up. 

Viking supplies KN95's, but doesn't insist that you wear theirs. As far as case numbers go, I don't think we're going to find out unless we get pushy about asking. There haven't been any announcements one way or the other. But I will report back anything we do hear.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PRH said:

As above, yes, small plastic bottles. Venice is not on the itinerary, so I don't know.

Edited by NewSalty

1 hour ago, PRH said:

In December, our bottles were not small since the shampoo and conditioner lasted for our 14 night cruise.  There was always a 2nd set left on the bathroom shelves, so you could get a new one if you ran out.

4 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

In December, our bottles were not small since the shampoo and conditioner lasted for our 14 night cruise.  There was always a 2nd set left on the bathroom shelves, so you could get a new one if you ran out.

Yes, small by comparison to what you'd buy in the grocery store, large by comparison to the typical hotel single use bottles!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Does Viking supply the N95s?

On our January '22 cruise, Viking provided a good supply of masks and "refreshed" our supply daily.  Not sure if they were KN95s (didn't appear to be NIOSH approved N95s) but were medical grade at the least.  You can also bring your own masks.

• Thanks 1

We're going to be on the Viking Sky on March 5th, from Rome to Athens; we're headed to Rome 5 days early to spend time in the city, and then have 5 days at the back end in Athens as well. 

Having just done a December Viking cruise in the Caribbean, we have a good idea of what to expect. 

When we were on that cruise, masks were everywhere for those who forgot to bring one from their cabins; they weren't KN95 though. I was gratified to see that the crew always prompted people to put on masks if they had forgotten them, and also to wash their hands before entering the restaurants. iPad-like devices at the entrances of the restaurants would scan your face and recognize you, while taking your temperature, but they failed about half the time to recognize me--always recognized my wife though.

We prefer not to be seated with strangers; we always make friends on these cruises and ended up dining with them, but prefer it to be by choice and not dictated.

Morning spit tests were no big deal; once you get used to it, you can get it done in about 5 minutes each morning.

One of the people we met on the cruise told us that someone was taken from the ship at some point, but Viking doesn't let you know if there's an outbreak (at least, they didn't tell us on that cruise). We returned happy and healthy, only to get Covid a couple of weeks ago and have a couple of days with mild fever, chills, and coughs.

Venice still doesn't show any excursions, although all other stops do; we assume we'll be seeing excursions before we get on board.

I was told yesterday by a Viking rep that self-guided excursions will be allowed in Italy by the time we start our cruise--not sure about Greece or Croatia, but hoping it's the same.

Helpful hint: if you're getting on-board and don't have as many Manfredi's reservations as you'd like, make a beeline for Guest Services as soon as you board, to get some more.

I've been a professional musician all my life, played all over the world and on thousands of recording sessions--yet, Viking wouldn't let me play the piano. Ran me off it one morning. Was not pleased.

Looking forward to another great Viking journey.