Norwegian Encore itinerary change

I’m planning to go on Norwegian Encore in 2 weeks. I know the itinerary was changed last week. Later it was also updated for the cruise that starts today and the one next week. The ship visits Nassau instead of Puerto Plata. Does anyone know what is the reason for these changes? Is it related to covid? Do you think NCL will keep changing the itinerary for upcoming cruises?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WorldTraveler151208 said:

I’m planning to go on Norwegian Encore in 2 weeks. I know the itinerary was changed last week. Later it was also updated for the cruise that starts today and the one next week. The ship visits Nassau instead of Puerto Plata. Does anyone know what is the reason for these changes? Is it related to covid? Do you think NCL will keep changing the itinerary for upcoming cruises?

They may or may not change itineraries.  If changes happen these days, it's probably related to Covid.

We were on a cruise in Dec. that had a change before we got on, then more change after we got on. We've had a couple cruises cancelled.  We have a cruise coming up in March, and there may or may not be changes.  We do know the NCL staff work very hard.  We know we'll get pampered, and will enjoy the cruises.

Edited by Middleager
  • Like 1

That seems odd unless something has changed with the DR.  A few weeks ago when Omicron was everywhere the DR was where ships were switching to when they got turned away from places like St Thomas.  It seems like all that has settled down in the past couple of weeks, though.

• Like 1

Hi All, following this as I'm also sailing out on the Encore in two weeks. My understanding is that this is not COVID related but rather that there is significant flooding in the area related to a storm.

https://floodlist.com/america/haiti-dominican-republic-floods-january-2022

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2022/02/01/as-us-blizzard-eases-flyers-flock-out-of-dominican-airports/

• Like 1

Also on Encore in 10 days. I've always arranged shore activities before hand. I know we are in unchartered territory, so absolutely riding this out. DR is a first... so was looking forward to the port. Nassau on the other hand is prolly my most frequented isle, been there done that. Really not looking to a 3rd sea day. But we'll see.... looking forward to seeing white caps, Not snow covered lawn! 

• Like 3

EDIT  Wrong island! I’m sorry! Thanks for correcting me, Mike C!

We went to Puerto Plata in January on the Gem. They announced that there was no place to get food or drink, it was just a beach. Some shopping but very pushy sellers. We didn’t get off the ship. I don’t think they’re ready for tourists. Hopefully someone who has been there will post.

Edited by joyy7403

7 minutes ago, joyy7403 said:

We went to Puerto Plata in January on the Gem. They announced that there was no place to get food or drink, it was just a beach. Some shopping but very pushy sellers. We didn’t get off the ship. I don’t think they’re ready for tourists. Hopefully someone who has been there will post.

That was Catalina Island, not Puerto Plata

• Haha 1

Just read on facebook that Encore was leaving Tortola (as expected) and on their way to DR?''

I tought it had been changed to Sat at Nassau?  Has is changed again, will it include DR for next week (when I'm on it) or will this person be surprised when they go north to the Bahamas?

On 2/13/2022 at 4:56 PM, WorldTraveler151208 said:

The reason for the change is really irrelevant, knowing why won't change the change.  Get on-board enjoy the cruise, wherever it may take you. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TominNC said:

I'm not sure why this is funny.  I'm not complaining, just asking a simple question.  I was thinking someone here might know.  I know it's ridiculous, but some cruisers kind of like to know where they're going.

The point is, post after post after post here from many recent and current cruisers all say that ports are changed daily while in mid-cruise.  Just got to roll with it right now, if it makes one uncomfortable well there is an alternative.  

40 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

The point is, post after post after post here from many recent and current cruisers all say that ports are changed daily while in mid-cruise.  Just got to roll with it right now, if it makes one uncomfortable well there is an alternative.  

I don't see the problem with me asking.  I wasn't complaining, I was asking a question.  Isn't that what this board is for?  You could say, "just go with it" about virtually anything anyone asks.  The itinerary was changed, now a ship went back to the original port.  I asked if anyone knew if the itineraries were changing back.  If you don't know, why butt in?

And for the record, I'll be happy to be on Encore next week no matter where we go.  There.  Happy?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TominNC said:

I don't see the problem with me asking.  I wasn't complaining, I was asking a question.  Isn't that what this board is for?  You could say, "just go with it" about virtually anything anyone asks.  The itinerary was changed, now a ship went back to the original port.  I asked if anyone knew if the itineraries were changing back.  If you don't know, why butt in?

And for the record, I'll be happy to be on Encore next week no matter where we go.  There.  Happy?

I really could care less if or when you cruise, as long as it works for you then do you.  Stop worrying about what some random guy on the internet thinks.

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I really could care less if or when you cruise, as long as it works for you then do you.  Stop worrying about what some random guy on the internet thinks.

I am curious as to why you're being such an ass.  But just curious, not overly bothered.

I am a planner, and this is a planner's nightmare. But that said.... take your fingers off the key board.... I'm not going on a later cruise! I will enjoy being on this ship and am Really looking forward to it...

DR is not an isle that I've been on and one that I do Not want to get off the beatin path. Staying on ship is not an option as we already have 2 sea days, and if there are rough seas, we miss GSC, so another sea day. Which is why I've been on other chats looking for others experiences in Puerto Plata... any infor is greatly appreciated. So ask away Tom!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My worst fears came true, we didn't go to GSC due to high seas. We stayed in Tortola 3+ hrs longer. Was hoping to get to JVD, but originally we were supposed to depart/board at 12:30pm. So no time to get there and back. We walked off ship and saw we were now departing at 4:30p. Didn't hear announcements on ship of change. Two sea days back to back on way to Miami. Made the best of having a Giant cruise ship 1/3rd full to ourselves. 😃