Venice (Marghera) port facilities update for 2022?

curmudgeon98

Sailing on the Volendam from Aug 14 to Oct 8. On Oct 8, transferring to Oosterdam for TA to FLL.  Schedule still show Volendam docking in Marghera and just received email from HAL that Oosterdam will be docking in Trieste. 

Anyone else have this problem? Since we do t know area, any suggestions on how to get from Marghera to Trieste? Understand it is 90 miles away. 

17 minutes ago, gypsie42 said:

Sailing on the Volendam from Aug 14 to Oct 8. On Oct 8, transferring to Oosterdam for TA to FLL.  Schedule still show Volendam docking in Marghera and just received email from HAL that Oosterdam will be docking in Trieste. 

Anyone else have this problem? Since we do t know area, any suggestions on how to get from Marghera to Trieste? Understand it is 90 miles away. 

Many of the cruise lines are offering complementary transfers for departures that have been moved away from Venice, at least if you were booked before the move was announced.  It's also possible that Volendam may move as well, but HAL is moving slowly through the process of announcing and working with passengers for the changes.

In Venice you would most likely be shuttled from the ship to Marittima cruise terminal.  There is direct train service from Venice to Trieste, but getting bags moved from Marittima to Santa Lucia train station would be awkward.  In Trieste, the train station would be about half a mile from the cruise pier.

If you have luggage for 10 weeks of travel, I would give serious thought to just hiring a direct car service to take you from point to point.  

46 minutes ago, gypsie42 said:

The Volendam will come into Marghera and you will be bused to the old cruise terminal to pick up luggage and the debarking process. Our Oosterdam cruise was moved from Venice to Trieste and HAL is providing free transport by bus from the Marco Polo (Venice) airport to the ship in Trieste. It is very easy to get to the airport from the Venice cruise terminal about 15 to 20 minutes.

20 minutes ago, curmudgeon98 said:

Many of the cruise lines are offering complementary transfers for departures that have been moved away from Venice, at least if you were booked before the move was announced.  It's also possible that Volendam may move as well, but HAL is moving slowly through the process of announcing and working with passengers for the changes.

In Venice you would most likely be shuttled from the ship to Marittima cruise terminal.  There is direct train service from Venice to Trieste, but getting bags moved from Marittima to Santa Lucia train station would be awkward.  In Trieste, the train station would be about half a mile from the cruise pier.

If you have luggage for 10 weeks of travel, I would give serious thought to just hiring a direct car service to take you from point to point.  

Thanks for the info. We've been booked since last July - when we thought "piece of cake" to transfer from one ship to the next.  Have contacted my PCC to see what HAL will do, but have heard nothing. Traveling with another couple who will also have luggage for 10 wk trip, so if HAL doesn't have a plan, we may just hire a car.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

The Volendam will come into Marghera and you will be bused to the old cruise terminal to pick up luggage and the debarking process. Our Oosterdam cruise was moved from Venice to Trieste and HAL is providing free transport by bus from the Marco Polo (Venice) airport to the ship in Trieste. It is very easy to get to the airport from the Venice cruise terminal about 15 to 20 minutes.

1 hour ago, gypsie42 said:

Thanks for the info. We've been booked since last July - when we thought "piece of cake" to transfer from one ship to the next.  Have contacted my PCC to see what HAL will do, but have heard nothing. Traveling with another couple who will also have luggage for 10 wk trip, so if HAL doesn't have a plan, we may just hire a car.

So we schlep our luggage to the airport to find the HAL shuttle to Trieste? Don't think so.

5 hours ago, gypsie42 said:

We are in the same boat, we thought we would be going out of Venice and our cruise like all the Oosterdam cruises this summer got moved from Venice to Trieste. We are staying in a hotel in Venice that can only accessed by boat (too far to walk) for 3 nights before our cruise. We also have 4 in our party and will be gone for 5 weeks. We have a Celebrity cruise from Rome first and then we have 9 land days in Italy before our Oosterdam cruise. We booked this cruise in January 2021.

Our choices offered by HAL, were to either get to the airport for the free shuttles or get to Trieste on our own. Our hotel will get us by boat to the cruise terminal and we could take a taxi to the airport or hire a private car. I have complained to HAL for the last 2 days about having to get to the airport for the shuttles and got nowhere. I have hired a private van that will pick us up at the Piazzale Roma, as far as cars can go in Venice, that will take all 4 of us to Trieste cruise port for $433. We also do not want to be in a crowded bus for 2 hours with 40 or more strangers. What's even worse HAL dropped 2 of our ports for our 14 day cruise, Santorini and Sauda, Crete and replaced them with a second day at Mykonos and a fourth sea day. By the way all 4 of us are 3 star with HAL and we are so mad at them for the changes that this will be our last cruise with HAL. HAL has let us down for the last time.

Edited by terrydtx

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2022 at 9:44 AM, terrydtx said:

”We are staying in Venice for 3 nights prior to the cruise and have arranged a private transfer from the hotel to the ship or terminal for departure check in.“

I know your situation has changed now, but did you arrange the private transport to the terminal with the hotel or a separate company ? Having never been to Venice before, I was wondering if that would be by boat or combination of boat and taxi. Is the terminal even walkable from say Piazzale Roma, and pulling luggage ?

Edited by Tiggerwudz
Missed the quote

25 minutes ago, Tiggerwudz said:

”We are staying in Venice for 3 nights prior to the cruise and have arranged a private transfer from the hotel to the ship or terminal for departure check in.“

I know your situation has changed now, but did you arrange the private transport to the terminal with the hotel or a separate company ? Having never been to Venice before, I was wondering if that would be by boat or combination of boat and taxi. Is the terminal even walkable from say Piazzale Roma, and pulling luggage ?

If you are on one of the few ships still actually using the Venice-Marghera port, then you would be checking in at the Maritimma terminal.  Easiest access would be the "People Mover" tramway from Pl Roma (I think it is 1.50 euro).  I don't think there is a water taxi or vaporetto stop at Maritimma.  If you were taking a land taxi from the airport or a Mestre hotel, they could probably drop you directly at Maritimma.

28 minutes ago, curmudgeon98 said:

I don't think there is a water taxi or vaporetto stop at Maritimma. 

There is a private water taxi stop at Marittima, so if your hotel can accommodate a water taxi, that's one option. Also there is an Alilaguna stop at the port but the additional stops are somewhat limited -- good if you are going to/from San Marco area though.

2 hours ago, Tiggerwudz said:

Our Hotel is arranging a water taxi to take us to Piazzale Roma to get our private car transfer to Trieste Cruise terminal. We actually return on our cruise to Maghera cruise terminal in Venice and we will be staying at a hotel by the people mover for that one night and then go to the airport the next morning to fly home.

Thank you for all your responses. Our HAL Sept 4 cruise is still leaving from Venice-Marghera and our hotel is close to Piazzale Roma, so it seems the people mover will work for us. We will also check with the hotel if a water taxi is a viable option.

Edited by Tiggerwudz
Sp.

A water taxi from a hotel in/near Piazzale Roma would make no sense, it would have to travel about three times as far as a land taxi, the People Mover or just walking.  By water the boat would have to go all the way around and enter from the other side, there is no shortcut.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:40 PM, euro cruiser said:

A water taxi from a hotel in/near Piazzale Roma would make no sense, it would have to travel about three times as far as a land taxi, the People Mover or just walking.  By water the boat would have to go all the way around and enter from the other side, there is no shortcut.

Thanks for that information.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

We're boarding MSC Armonia in Marghera.  Can anyone tell me how easy it is to get there on public transportation?  Based on this thread, there is tent set up for checkin.  We'll be arriving from a hotel in Mestre and also going to a different hotel in Mestre upon return

You will need to get MSC-specific details, as they have been operating a bit differently than some of the others.  I think they will be using the dock in the container port, and I don't think you can take public transit (or even a taxi) into that part of Marghera.  Presumably there will be a shuttle bus from somewhere, whether Tronchetto, Marittima, or ???

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, curmudgeon98 said:

You will need to get MSC-specific details, as they have been operating a bit differently than some of the others.  I think they will be using the dock in the container port, and I don't think you can take public transit (or even a taxi) into that part of Marghera.  Presumably there will be a shuttle bus from somewhere, whether Tronchetto, Marittima, or ???

I actually just found it on MSC's website.  Checkin still Venice Passenger Terminal, with transfers to Marghera.

1 hour ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

I actually just found it on MSC's website.  Checkin still Venice Passenger Terminal, with transfers to Marghera.

That is the way the cruise lines operating out of Marghera have been doing it.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, DoubleEntry said:

Has there been any talk of the cruise lines, particularly Celebrity, of going back to the Venice piers in the next year?

Jeff 

I think it is very unlikely that Celebrity would go back to Venice anytime soon.  Royal Caribbean (the parent) is managing and expanding the Ravenna port, so I think they will be committed there, at least with the larger ships.  

More of the smaller (less than 700 passenger) ships may use the Fusina ferry terminal next year, as it looks like the additional two berths there have been finished, but that won't fit large ships (and would still involve a shuttle bus from Maritima checkin facility).  

It's possible that they may squeeze a few more large cruise ships into the Marghera container dock schedules next year.  I think this year MSC and Costa managed to do about three per week there, on Saturdays and Sundays, but those docks are pretty busy with freight traffic.

Edited by curmudgeon98

9 hours ago, DoubleEntry said:

Has there been any talk of the cruise lines, particularly Celebrity, of going back to the Venice piers in the next year?

Jeff 

Big cruise ships are banned from docking in Venice permanently by the Italian government. It is possible that a new cruise terminal may be built in Marghera but it will be several years before completion. 

Edited by terrydtx