How does HAL handle positive cases amongst passengers on board?

LewiLewi

If a passenger on a HAL ship cruising to the Caribbean or Panama Canal tests positive on board, are they put off the ship in a local port, or are they allowed to stay on the ship and quarantine in their cabin?

This will determine whether or not we cruise with HAL.

• Like 1

It depends.  If you are at the end of a leg or segment, they put you in a hotel.  Otherwise they put you in a cabin until your quarantine passes.  They don’t put you off at a random port.  You also will stay in a quarantine cabin, not your own.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 2

If at the end of a leg or segment, and you test positive, and Hal puts us in a hotel, do they have specific hotels with perhaps "quarantine" rates which might make it financially easier to be stuck for 10 days in?

This is a concern for me on my upcoming cruise.  Being stuck in an expensive hotel for 10 days before being allowed to return to Canada.

Edited by Clarabella_Baby
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Clarabella_Baby said:

If at the end of a leg or segment, and you test positive, and Hal puts us in a hotel, do they have specific hotels with perhaps "quarantine" rates which might make it financially easier to be stuck for 10 days in?

This is a concern for me on my upcoming cruise.  Being stuck in an expensive hotel for 10 days before being allowed to return to Canada.

Once you get on land, the quarantine period is 5 days.  Not sure if it's 5 days in addition to whatever you served onboard or if you've been quarantined the last 2 days of the cruise you just have 3 more days to stay in the quarantine hotel.  

Sue/WDW1972

I'm reading in Canada it is, currently, a 10 day quarantine.

What I'm curious about is if there is any kind of a Holland America Hotel price discount that you can use to spend that 10 days in a hotel before I can fly back to Canada.

image.thumb.png.bf459f9d4672dde5cae7938526a4d115.png

58 minutes ago, Clarabella_Baby said:

I would check with the insurance company you use.  They may have limits to payments.

L.

It is my understanding that HAL pays for the quarantine hotel if you test positive for covid while on board and are transferred to a hotel.  You may want to read other posts from people who have been in this situation.  Also read HAL's COVID 19 policy.  Here is one of the answers to a FAQ on Hal's site:

Hotel accommodations will be arranged by the cruise line with one of its contracted hotel partners. Should guests select a different hotel, they will be reimbursed only for the amount of the contracted hotel rate for the property provided by the cruise line.  Any incidental charges, costs related to room upgrades and additional room nights in excess of what is provided by the cruise line, to the extent requested or arranged by the guests, shall be the guests’ responsibility.  Cruise line shall provide hotel accommodations until clearance by a medical professional to travel home has been provided.

• Like 1

Quarantine is ten days in California and five days in Florida.   Maryanne and Bill went to Ft Lauderdale Coral Springs Marriott Hotel. She blogged about her quarantine on CC.

Edited by Storylady
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Here it is:  https://cruisingwithbillandmaryann.blogspot.com/2022/01/

She discusses testing positive on Jan. 21 and talks about the move to the Marriott on Jan. 25.

Thank you so much.  I'll have to check with my insurance company as I'm not sure much will be covered as our government is advising against cruise ship travel at this time and I wonder if that will nullify any insurance.  But I'll check.  I so so so desperately need a cruise.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

If a passenger on a HAL ship cruising to the Caribbean or Panama Canal tests positive on board, are they put off the ship in a local port, or are they allowed to stay on the ship and quarantine in their cabin?

This will determine whether or not we cruise with HAL.

They get a rope and have them swim next to the ship..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Clarabella_Baby said:

Thank you so much.  I'll have to check with my insurance company as I'm not sure much will be covered as our government is advising against cruise ship travel at this time and I wonder if that will nullify any insurance.  But I'll check.  I so so so desperately need a cruise.  

Also a Canadian so I can put your mind to rest for a few things.

1. Canada will drop the non-essential travel advisory as of March 1st.

2. HAL covers your quarantine hotel. Insurance is good to cover flight changes or hospital stays if you get sick, but the hotel and food there is covered.

People have noted that these quarantine hotels are not quite what you think. You have freedom to walk the grounds and are just advised to mask up when around others.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spire2000 said:

Also a Canadian so I can put your mind to rest for a few things.

1. Canada will drop the non-essential travel advisory as of March 1st.

2. HAL covers your quarantine hotel. Insurance is good to cover flight changes or hospital stays if you get sick, but the hotel and food there is covered.

People have noted that these quarantine hotels are not quite what you think. You have freedom to walk the grounds and are just advised to mask up when around others.

I have heard we are dropping the non-essential travel advisory but not the advisory against cruise ship travel.

And thank you for the rest of it.  My mind isn't completely at ease yet.  😂

It looks like we will be on the same cruise!  March 20 on the Koningsdam!

28 minutes ago, Clarabella_Baby said:

I have heard we are dropping the non-essential travel advisory but not the advisory against cruise ship travel.

The latest advisory to avoid cruise ship travel was issued in November, 2021, which is 4 months ago.  A lot has happened since then, with most of the world starting to open up their doors to travel and tourists.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the advisory lifted fairly soon for Canadians, especially since our cruise ports are going to be opening up in the spring.  It's an advisory, not a decree that you can't cruise.  If you've got your travel insurance in place, are vaccinated, and take precautions, I don't see anything wrong with going on a cruise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clarabella_Baby said:

It looks like we will be on the same cruise!  March 20 on the Koningsdam!

Actually we'll be disembarking the Rotterdam on the 20th. My sig down below is years 🙂

Edited by Spire2000

6 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Once you get on land, the quarantine period is 5 days.  Not sure if it's 5 days in addition to whatever you served onboard or if you've been quarantined the last 2 days of the cruise you just have 3 more days to stay in the quarantine hotel.  

Sue/WDW1972

5 days in the US, not necessarily in other countries.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ger_77 said:

The latest advisory to avoid cruise ship travel was issued in November, 2021, which is 4 months ago.  A lot has happened since then, with most of the world starting to open up their doors to travel and tourists.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the advisory lifted fairly soon for Canadians, especially since our cruise ports are going to be opening up in the spring.  It's an advisory, not a decree that you can't cruise.  If you've got your travel insurance in place, are vaccinated, and take precautions, I don't see anything wrong with going on a cruise.

And the CDC has just dropped their advisory on cruising from Level 4: Do Not Travel, to Level 3: Reconsider Travel. That’s a huge difference, and very likely Canada will follow their lead to pave the way for the Alaska and East Coast cruise season.

• Like 2