Useful hint for the stateroom coffeemakers

longterm

59 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I’m not an early riser so can’t be sure but I’d bet 6 or 6:30. 

Thanks, Clay! Do you think that we should pack insulated coffee cups or do they provide large lidded cups like at Starbucks?

3 hours ago, keokukjoe said:

Thanks, Clay! Do you think that we should pack insulated coffee cups or do they provide large lidded cups like at Starbucks?

We brought our own tea mugs and pre-COVID, they were happy to fill them at the LR Bar.

5 hours ago, janetcbl said:

6:00 this morning. (We are docked in Gdańsk, so it might open one half hour later on sea days.)

Thanks. I get up early and walk with my morning  latte while husband is still sleeping. Could you please check if the Living Room coffee station has insulated, lidded to go cups like at Starbucks?

8 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

Thanks. I get up early and walk with my morning  latte while husband is still sleeping. Could you please check if the Living Room coffee station has insulated, lidded to go cups like at Starbucks?

No, they only have cardboard cups with tops. Most people who have insulated cups/ thermos brought them on board with them or purchased them at a port stop. I have walked with the cardboard cup/top….worked out okay.

1 minute ago, janetcbl said:

No, they only have cardboard cups with tops. Most people who have insulated cups/ thermos brought them on board with them or purchased them at a port stop. I have walked with the cardboard cup/top….worked out okay.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, keokukjoe said:

Thanks, Clay. The less we have to pack, the better. 

While they are brewing your coffee ask for a glass of the green juice. And I can’t get a coffee there without asking for a pistachio raisin bun. 

93A6241C-F27F-434B-805D-C57780AAAA4D.webp

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 6:13 PM, miami mama said:

However, I have been told by Viking personnel at tellus@... that the coffee makers on the Expedition ships are the professional model, Nespresso Zenius. Those pods are different so make sure which model of machine your ship will have by contacting tellus@vikingcruises.com.

I am curious if anyone noted on the Expedition ships what is in the stateroom. I have emailed the tellus@vikingcruises but wonder if recent travelers noted it.

On 2/16/2022 at 6:13 PM, miami mama said:

However, I have been told by Viking personnel at tellus@... that the coffee makers on the Expedition ships are the professional model, Nespresso Zenius. Those pods are different so make sure which model of machine your ship will have by contacting tellus@vikingcruises.com.

I am curious if anyone noted on the Expedition ships what is in the stateroom. I have emailed the tellus@vikingcruises but wonder if recent travelers noted it.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see this question posted. Ends up the information from tellus was wrong. The professional ones are in the restaurant but the ones in the staterooms are not and continue to take the original pods. You can get extra pods from housekeeping but they are not very strong. 

27 minutes ago, miami mama said:

Glad to see this question posted. Ends up the information from tellus was wrong. The professional ones are in the restaurant but the ones in the staterooms are not and continue to take the original pods. You can get extra pods from housekeeping but they are not very strong. 

If you use the instruction manual I posted earlier (post #8), you can adjust the amount of water used in each brewing cycle.  So if you want it stronger, set it for less water.  If you want it weaker, increase the water.

So the control is in your hands.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

If you use the instruction manual I posted earlier (post #8), you can adjust the amount of water used in each brewing cycle.  So if you want it stronger, set it for less water.  If you want it weaker, increase the water.

So the control is in your hands.

Really easy to set the amount of water that goes into your cup:

Hold down the BREW button, and let go when your cup is to the fullness you want. Works on all the Nespresso machines that I have (I have 4 and 2 that have gone to coffee machine heaven).

15 minutes ago, longterm said:

Really easy to set the amount of water that goes into your cup:

Hold down the BREW button, and let go when your cup is to the fullness you want. Works on all the Nespresso machines that I have (I have 4 and 2 that have gone to coffee machine heaven).

IMO, it is far easier to just reset the default amount of water.  Then, every cup puts that much water in, without having to hold any buttons.

Take a 14 day cruise, at least 2 to 3 cups a day, and that starts to add up.  Plus, I can push the start button, walk away, and then come back to a finished brew.

Of course, as a courtesy to the next guest in the room, reset it back to the factory default.  Easy enough to do.  In fact, it's so easy that the stewardess should do that for each room on turn-around day, when they are cleaning the coffee machine.  (They are cleaning the coffee machines, right?)

26 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

IMO, it is far easier to just reset the default amount of water.  Then, every cup puts that much water in, without having to hold any buttons.

I probably wasn't clear in my post; when you hold down the button and then release it at the amount you want, that sets the default amount going forward, so you don't have to do it ever again for the rest of the cruise.

I know from having the machines exactly how much water I prefer, so when I get on board, I set the water amount for my first cup, then every cup after that is exactly how I prefer. I also bring my own capsules because I have one in particular that I like more than the ones Viking uses.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 1:19 PM, Clay Clayton said:

While they are brewing your coffee ask for a glass of the green juice. And I can’t get a coffee there without asking for a pistachio raisin bun. 

Did someone say pistachios?  Combined with 'raisin bun'  ::BeStillMyHeart::

Might there be any cinnamon in that? 

And is it available in Mamsen's too? 

I make a Shades of Green salad: pistachios, avocado, green apple, maybe some blue cheese, green goddess dressing + the greens on hand...

This makes me crave the amazing pistachio + pomegranate delicacies experienced in Dubai.

Edited by SempreMare

I've been resisting asking my question about the Nespresso coffee maker but here goes. Viking provides two creme (sp?) pods. How do you use them? I assumed that they are some sort of "cream" for the coffee? They are shaped exactly like the coffee pods and didn't have an obvious way to open them.  

29 minutes ago, BigBee51 said:

I've been resisting asking my question about the Nespresso coffee maker but here goes. Viking provides two creme (sp?) pods. How do you use them? I assumed that they are some sort of "cream" for the coffee? They are shaped exactly like the coffee pods and didn't have an obvious way to open them.  

Believe those are coffee w/cream pods. I recall when Nespresso released them there were three different flavors. With this I then suspect you work them just  like the other offerings. 

Here is the link to them: https://www.nespresso.com/es/en/barista-creations-cafe-con-leche

Edited by Haqdeluxe
Looked up the product link

11 minutes ago, Haqdeluxe said:

Believe those are coffee w/cream pods. I recall when Nespresso released them there were three different flavors. With this I then suspect you work them just  like the other offerings. 

Yes, they're the same.