GWR Tickets to Windsor

ihopfar

We are planning on spending several days in London before our cruise and want to take a day trip to Windsor.

I know it is too early to buy train tickets, but I am trying to understand the restrictions.  I believe our best option is to travel via the GWR from London Paddington to Windsor Eton Central and purchase Off-Peak Day Return Tickets.

• Are these tickets cheaper in advance or can we just buy them day of?
  • It seems I pick a specific train for the Outward direction.  What happens if we miss this train or choose to take a different one on the same day?  Will we be able to just get on another train or will we need to exchange our tickets at the station?
  • If we choose an open return so we can take any train in the afternoon/evening once we are done exploring Windsor, can we just get on any train or will we need to exchange our "open" ticket for a specific one at the station?

Thanks!

Brad

54 minutes ago, ihopfar said:

Are these tickets cheaper in advance or can we just buy them day of?

They will cost the same bought now or 2 minutes before you board the train. There are no ‘Advance’ cheap fares on this route. 

It seems I pick a specific train for the Outward direction.  What happens if we miss this train or choose to take a different one on the same day?  Will we be able to just get on another train or will we need to exchange our tickets at the station?

These tickets are for the journey, not a specific train, so it will be fine as long as you are travelling in the off-peak times. 

If we choose an open return so we can take any train in the afternoon/evening once we are done exploring Windsor, can we just get on any train or will we need to exchange our "open" ticket for a specific one at the station?

As above, the ticket is valid on any train during the times it’s valid for, which in this case means any train in the afternoon/evening as there is no evening peak. 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

2 hours ago, ihopfar said:

We are planning on spending several days in London before our cruise and want to take a day trip to Windsor.

I know it is too early to buy train tickets...

The train to Windsor is basically a commuter trip. Turn up at Paddington, buy a (round-trip) ticket, get on the next train. On the way back, it's even easier because you already have a ticket. It really isn't worth over-planning this.

• 5 months later...
On 2/19/2022 at 6:19 PM, Globaliser said:

The train to Windsor is basically a commuter trip. Turn up at Paddington, buy a (round-trip) ticket, get on the next train. On the way back, it's even easier because you already have a ticket. It really isn't worth over-planning this.

Getting closer to our trip.  Am I correct that this has gotten even easier since this route now accepts contactless payment so we don't even need to buy a ticket?    Looks like the price for the roundtrip (off peak) is the same if we buy a ticket or go contactless, but contactless is actually cheaper if you are only going one way.   Am I understanding that correctly?

4 hours ago, ihopfar said:

Getting closer to our trip.  Am I correct that this has gotten even easier since this route now accepts contactless payment so we don't even need to buy a ticket?    Looks like the price for the roundtrip (off peak) is the same if we buy a ticket or go contactless, but contactless is actually cheaper if you are only going one way.   Am I understanding that correctly?

Yes, the off-peak contactless is set at half the off-peak return, so is a bargain in the unlikely event of only going one way (for example if going to stay in Windsor). 

To be clear for other readers this only applies to Great Western services on Windsor and Eton Central branch and does not include Oyster cards (there is a technical problem with extending the current Oyster system any further). It is most definitely NOT a more general extension of contactless across the network.