Anchorages Restaurants

mlmalone3

We will be staying the overnight in Anchorage on my birthday in June, before flying back to Texas after our cruise. I would love suggestions & recommendations for a special place to have dinner and celebrate my birthday and the end of our Alaskan adventure!  Thanks so much!

For a very special birthday $$$ try Marx Bros Cafe. Both the service and food are excellent.  Seafood would be Simon & Seafort’s or the Bridge Seafood Restaurant.  Steaks, nothing better than Club Paris. It’s a grubby restaurant with a lot of character and history.  Popular with both locals and tourists is Glacier Brewhouse.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Popular with both locals and tourists is Glacier Brewhouse.

I have not patronized the other restaurants that Glaciers mentioned, but, I have been a guest at Glacier Brewhouse a few times.  Enjoyed each visit; food and service were all very good; even my two young Grand-Nephews (this was their first visit) enjoyed their dinner.  OP, if you would decide on this--or any others that have been mentioned--make a reservation.  You will be in Anchorage during "High Season" and the restaurants will be very busy.  

For Breakfast the next day--if you have time--I recommend Snow City Cafe.  

• Like 1

Just a few comments to add:  Marx Brothers is one of my favorite Anchorage restaurants.  I don't particularly care for Simon and Seaforts, but realize it is popular with many.  The Glacier Brewhouse and Orso are (or at least in the past were) owned by the same folks; I prefer Orso over the Brewhouse.  And Club Paris is a downtown institution but be prepared for some "atmosphere."

In Alaska last summer we had a severe labor shortage which was particularly apparent in the food and hospitality industry.  Part of the issue was the lack of workers with J1 visas.  During the winter that labor shortage has persisted.  For example, in Fairbanks a major restaurant, which was open 7 days a week for years, has had to close on Sundays because of staff shortages.  Hence the importance of reservations.

Which Anchorage restaurants were you looking at?  

• Thanks 1

Gwennies for breakfast on your way to the airport.

For some great Southern food in a hole in the wall with the friendliest people I've ever met,,,,, Roscoe's Catfish and BBQ.

Glacier Brewhouse is good. I also recommend Humpy's Great Alaska Alehouse and then there is Mooses Tooth.

19 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I also recommend Humpy's Great Alaska Alehouse and then there is Mooses Tooth.

My Anchorage area residing Nephew really likes both of these establishments.  I have not been to Humpy's, but have gone to Mooses Tooth a couple of time and I agree with him and you.  Its a good place to eat/drink and very popular with the locals.