Dislike your Royal Up Cabin?

mlbcruiser

On 2/20/2022 at 8:09 AM, Toddcan said:

My $0.02:  We have an Aft Junior Suite booked in 3 weeks.  The Aft cabins are our favourites because they almost always have loungers on the balcony since they are much bigger than the side balconies.  So, when I was given a Royal Up Option, I did a lot of research.  At the end of the day, the only one I did not bid on was the 2 bedroom GrandSuite because I didn't like the layout of the room, and the balcony is completely open to the balcony above (Freedom of the Seas), but knowing that the 1 Bedroom GS, & OS, & RS have huge balconies with loungers, we put bids on for those.  We knowingly are giving up our aft JS cabin, but we had to weigh if it was worth it for us.   

I actually put a pretty high bid on the Royal Suite - I can't imagine having a hot tub on the balcony - that would be a spoiled trip, for sure. 

We made that move on our first cruise.

We had an aft corner JR suite with my parents nearby in a Balcony (no more JS available).  I was on the the site about 2 months before and an aft 2 br GS (called a Royal Family Suite then) was open, and the price for 4 was MUCH less than our two cabins.  So we opted to switch, even though RCI would not even give me a couple of hundred OBC for a fare that was several THOUSAND less.

And a HUGE balcony.  4 loungers and large table with 4 chairs and plenty more room to wander about.

We normally sail in GS, so will do a Royal Up bid for a OS or RS.  Never won one though.

I would love the hot tub on the balcony.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

We made that move on our first cruise.

We had an aft corner JR suite with my parents nearby in a Balcony (no more JS available).  I was on the the site about 2 months before and an aft 2 br GS (called a Royal Family Suite then) was open, and the price for 4 was MUCH less than our two cabins.  So we opted to switch, even though RCI would not even give me a couple of hundred OBC for a fare that was several THOUSAND less.

And a HUGE balcony.  4 loungers and large table with 4 chairs and plenty more room to wander about.

We normally sail in GS, so will do a Royal Up bid for a OS or RS.  Never won one though.

I would love the hot tub on the balcony.

Was this on a Freedom Class? (Indy, Liberty, Freedom). The reason I'm asking is that I would like your opinion on having the balcony above you able to see directly down onto your full balcony.  I had that on one cruise, and hated it.  I would avoid those cabins for that reason alone, which is why I didn't bid on the GS 2 bedroom Royal Up option.  

On 2/20/2022 at 2:56 PM, orville99 said:

Did you get the upgrade for the second week as well?

On 2/21/2022 at 2:07 PM, george35 said:

Yes we got the upgrade

If you got the upgrade for both weeks of a B2B, why should it matter that you paid for both weeks?

Or did you WANT to move to a lower room for the second week?

11 minutes ago, brillohead said:

If you got the upgrade for both weeks of a B2B, why should it matter that you paid for both weeks?

If they could guarantee that they would upgrade you on a second leg if they upgrade you on the first leg, we would probably bid on a lot more cruises, since we mostly sail B2B or B3B

• Like 1

New to RC, how does Royal Up work if suites are sold out? I have a balcony so bid on Grand Suite but on RC website all the cabins are sold out. I presume it is because the ship will not be on full occupancy?

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 12:24 PM, Toddcan said:

Was this on a Freedom Class? (Indy, Liberty, Freedom). The reason I'm asking is that I would like your opinion on having the balcony above you able to see directly down onto your full balcony.  I had that on one cruise, and hated it.  I would avoid those cabins for that reason alone, which is why I didn't bid on the GS 2 bedroom Royal Up option.  

This was on Grandeur.

It was on deck 9, with the Spa/Gym above.  So there were windows, but not a railing for people to hang over to look down.  Parts of the balcony were under the spa, and parts were open.

18 hours ago, shilu said:

New to RC, how does Royal Up work if suites are sold out? I have a balcony so bid on Grand Suite but on RC website all the cabins are sold out. I presume it is because the ship will not be on full occupancy?

No one knows for sure what level of occupancy they sell to.  Of course, pre-covid, they sold every cabin they could, so there was much less opportunity for Royal Up options. 

I'm booked on the Freedom next week. I booked a Balcony Guarantee through my TA. I got the Royal Up email and bid on a Spacious Ocean View Balcony and a Junior Suite. I'm cruising solo, so I have to pay double the bid... so I didn't bid too much. I got the confirmation email re: my bids but never got an email informing me whether I'd been upgraded. About a week ago, I logged in to the site to see if my room had been assigned, and I'm in a Spacious Ocean View Balcony now - it's way up at the front of the ship, but I had a cruise in October in the Med that got a little rough, was also at the front of the ship, and while I felt it, it didn't really bother me. So I think it will be okay. But I never received notification of the upgrade, and haven't seen a charge on any of my credit cards (I forgot which one I put on file). So maybe they just upgraded me since I was in the Guarantee category; I have NO idea. I checked the room out - found a video on YouTube from a few years ago, and it looks like there is a lounger on my balcony. That would be AWESOME. 

2 minutes ago, OhJinkies said:

So maybe they just upgraded me since I was in the Guarantee category; 

If you didn't get charged, then this. You'll want to cancel your bids right away - otherwise you'll get charged for something you already have.

42 minutes ago, OhJinkies said:

I'm booked on the Freedom next week. I booked a Balcony Guarantee through my TA. I got the Royal Up email and bid on a Spacious Ocean View Balcony and a Junior Suite. I'm cruising solo, so I have to pay double the bid... so I didn't bid too much. I got the confirmation email re: my bids but never got an email informing me whether I'd been upgraded. About a week ago, I logged in to the site to see if my room had been assigned, and I'm in a Spacious Ocean View Balcony now - it's way up at the front of the ship, but I had a cruise in October in the Med that got a little rough, was also at the front of the ship, and while I felt it, it didn't really bother me. So I think it will be okay. But I never received notification of the upgrade, and haven't seen a charge on any of my credit cards (I forgot which one I put on file). So maybe they just upgraded me since I was in the Guarantee category; I have NO idea. I checked the room out - found a video on YouTube from a few years ago, and it looks like there is a lounger on my balcony. That would be AWESOME. 

Go to the RoyalUp website and see if it indicates your bids are still pending or if one was accepted.

As Biker noted, if you got a freebie gty upgrade, consider canceling your RoyalUp bids so you are not charged for the cabin you already have.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/cruise-room-upgrade

10 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Go to the RoyalUp website and see if it indicates your bids are still pending or if one was accepted.

As Biker noted, if you got a freebie gty upgrade, consider canceling your RoyalUp bids so you are not charged for the cabin you already have.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/cruise-room-upgrade

Thanks, I didn't know this was available. So I put my information in and found out that:
1) My bid for a Junior Suite had "expired."

2) The status on my bid for a Spacious Ocean View Balcony indicated "Upgrade Unavailable." Which I guess indicates that I had already been upgraded (but not before the bid). I'm in a 4B on Deck 10.

So... it's all good. Thanks for the tip!!

• Like 1